• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
ls2006vacay said:
What is your problem? That was a very rude thing to say.

I'm from Alabama and grew up vacationing near Destin. That area means a lot to me. So what if I don't like the June Grass. That means I should just go to Ocean City MD? People aren't allowed to say ANYTHING negative about SoWal? Is that it?

You disapproved of how I spent my vacation time? What is your problem with my post?

Some of the attitudes I've encountered on this board make me feel like I'm very unwelcome in the SoWal area.

If tourists really are that unwelcome, maybe we will start going somewhere else.

No rudeness intended. You just seemed unhappy with just about everything you encountered. Forgive me if I misinterpreted your post.

Personally, I don't care where you vacation.

Have a great day. :D

Sheila

SoWal Insider
ls2006vacay said:
What is your problem? That was a very rude thing to say.

I'm from Alabama and grew up vacationing near Destin. That area means a lot to me. So what if I don't like the June Grass. That means I should just go to Ocean City MD? People aren't allowed to say ANYTHING negative about SoWal? Is that it?

You disapproved of how I spent my vacation time? What is your problem with my post?

Some of the attitudes I've encountered on this board make me feel like I'm very unwelcome in the SoWal area.

If tourists really are that unwelcome, maybe we will start going somewhere else.

ls2006vacay you and your family are always :welcome: in SoWal. I enjoyed reading your post. I love the Red Bar crab cakes, but I may not if I lived in Maryland. Variety, after all is the spice of life! ;-) Come back again soon.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
steele mama said:
When we were young we called you DDTs. Dumb Damn Tourists marked by hawaiin shirts, straw hats and cameras around the neck. Now there are too many people to even know who the DDTs are. :D

We have friends in Santa Rosa Beach who refer to non-locals as "publicans" (referring to those who use the public beach accesses). ;-)

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
ls2006vacay said:
I'm sorry you found my post overwhelmingly negative.

I didn't say it was overwhelmingly negative. You did. You seem rather easily offended. I have a few minutes here, so let me try to address some of the comments in your original post.

I think what I took exception to was the fact you had pretty lousy things to say about two restaurants that most on this board hold pretty sacred - probably moreso than any two given places in the area.

On Cafe 30-A, a few questions: Was it your first visit there? If not, have all your experiences been bad? I'd love some more details as to why you're "done with it." I have dined there probably three dozen times since they opened for business and have NEVER had a bad meal. It's the most consistent fine-dining establishment in Walton County. Yet, you're "done with it." :dunno:

On the Red Bar. No, they are not Maryland-style crab cakes. But they are made with lump crabmeat, not the mushy, deviled crab-type stuff that dozens of other places serve and charge twice what they do.

I guess I am a little perplexed as to exactly what you are looking for. Do you want to deep sea fish? Do you want to enjoy the beach? Budget seems to be an issue with you (absolutely nothing wrong with that).

So why not come in say, April? No June grass and you would be paying the spring rate for accommodations (almost half of what summer rates are). Heck, you could do a private billfishing charter with your savings.

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
:welcome: and thanks for the post on your trip.

ls2006vacay

Beach Lover
May 3, 2006
JB,

In my humble opinion, you are a jerk for saying that budget seems to be an issue with me.

You're right. It is. The amount we spent to visit Grayton is a lot of money to people like us.

We spent about the same amount to visit last year. We stayed at Blue Mountain.

It was our 2nd trip to cafe 30-a, and it was the 2nd time that it underwhelmed us. The service was excellent. The FOOD was not.

And yes, Red Bar's crab cakes are bad. Maybe they're good for that area, just like Cocoon's BBQ might be good for that area but not stand up in Memphis. (For the record, I did not make it to Cocoon's, so I am not saying anything negative about it, just repeating what I read on this board).

I'm sorry I said bad things about your "sacred" restaurants. We enjoyed GREATLY everything about Red Bar exCEPT for the crabcakes. We ate there AGAIN after having bad crabcakes there. We just didn't order crabcakes.

I think the regular posters and locals on this board should be more careful about antagonizing the tourists, especially if you own rental properties.

Then again, if you own a million dollar house in Grayton, you don't need my weekly rental fee, do you.

:blink:

MKH

Beach Fanatic
May 12, 2005
Memphis, TN/Seacrest Beach, FL
:welcome:

Yes, welcome to the Board, and I'm glad you like to vacation in Sowal. Personally I wouldn't be on these boards if I didn't care about other people's opinions and where they vacation. That's the purpose of these boards-to communicate and exchange opinions and suggestions. So feel free to share.

And I completely understand why you weren't impressed with the crabcakes at the RedBar. I had crabcakes in Baltimore recently, and they came out the size of softballs! And they were lump crabmeat, the best I've ever had.