• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Jellyfish said:
I thought a certified bank check was pretty safe (as long as it's not a fake).

It's just like a $20 bill....it is safe--as long as it's not fake.

A Cashiers Check is by no means a safe transfer of money. In fact with check 21 it may be faster and safer to clear a personal check. I recently found this out with an international Cashier's Check that took 10 days to clear with Chase Bank. And even then they could come back and say it was a fraud. (Not a rental but an Ebay transaction) My banker set me straight and said the only real sure fire way is a Certified Cashier Check, which is what you bring to a real estate closing. It's also the same as cash and should only be sent certified mail or FedEx.

Also, a credit card is by no means safe. That's why the same scam of "send me a refund" works with a stolen card. When the real owner gets his statement and see's the charge he cries foul and calls for a "charge back". The one left holding the bag is the (you) merchant.

I too received these scam emails. The first one I thought, "huh, I've never had anyone ask for 3 month's from Feb. to April. Man, that's going to be expensive" as I would charge them the weekly rate from Spring Break on. Then I got a second one, which was worded almost identically. That's when I knew it was a scam. No matter, we don't rent to ANYONE without talking to him or her first. It's a lot easier to smell a fish over the phone than in an email. We've turned away many renters whose story fell apart over the phone, including someone from Zambia who said his soccer team was coming to the US for a meeting and needed a month. My advice is talk to each and every renter over the phone. If something feels weird or doesn't add up just say "sorry we just took a booking for that week".

BTW, thank you GVM for starting this thread. Very helpful for everyone!

Thanks GVM for the warning!

My mother has been scammed many times by people pretending to be calling from the bank. She gives them personal information, and they start electronically debiting money from the account whose information she's given them. We've had to cancel her accounts several times. The bank is sympathetic - they say it happens all the time to people without dementia (as my mother has) because these scam artists are so slick and convincing. BTW we are trying to get her to agree to letting us handle her financial matters so that someone doesn't wipe out one of her high-balance accounts.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Thanks GVM for the warning!

My mother has been scammed many times by people pretending to be calling from the bank. She gives them personal information, and they start electronically debiting money from the account whose information she's given them. We've had to cancel her accounts several times. The bank is sympathetic - they say it happens all the time to people without dementia (as my mother has) because these scam artists are so slick and convincing. BTW we are trying to get her to agree to letting us handle her financial matters so that someone doesn't wipe out one of her high-balance accounts.

These crooks are committing Elder Abuse and IMO are the scum of the earth. They prey on trusting seniors and once they "hook a fish," word spreads quickly on whom the easy marks are and they are scammed again and again. You must keep trying to do something to protect her from these predator.

Most cities have some sort of Elder Services Center who have "mature" volunteers (retired cops, lawyers, accountants, judges, etc.) who can better explain the problems to your mom--hearing it from her peers just might do the trick. You may be able to hook up with one of these programs through AARP.

I understand your present situation. Best of luck to you.

SHELLY said:
I understand your present situation. Best of luck to you.
Thanks. SunTrust has issued fraud alerts. One problem is that once the crooks get the info, they change their names and change the check amounts, so the bank can't do a stop payment. It is such a nuisance to open new accounts, redirect the direct deposits and automatic debits.