• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Seasider said:
The weather is great and the crowds are down. The beaches look like they did after Ivan, but the dunes are more heavily scarped. Lack of access points is a nuisance, but not too much trouble. I am happy just to be here; grillin and chillin...

:cool:

Had a great day today on Grayton Beach with the otters and a couple of hundred other folks. Beautiful weather and warm waters.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
We're (family of four ) coming down on July 30-Aug 6th, renting, as we have for 8 years, at the Palms at Seagrove. Will there be a beach access somewhere nearby? And will the beach be "open" to go in the water? (We may win the long distance award, but we LOVE Seagrove Beach--we started coming when we lived in Birmingham, and have kept coming even after moving to NY. We have such pressure-packed jobs that this vacation is all-important, and we didn't want to cancel. (kids refuse go into the "cold water" of the north atlantic!) I do hope Seaside is reasonable about access--god knows we drop a bundle of money every year we come down.
newyorker

This message board is probably your best source of information about which public beach accesses are open. Private beach accesses are being rebuilt as we speak, although they are "private" - can't be used unless your particular neighborhood or condominium has legal access to it. I'd just call the rental agency for the Palms to see when their private access will be rebuilt.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
newyorker said:
We're (family of four ) coming down on July 30-Aug 6th, renting, as we have for 8 years, at the Palms at Seagrove. Will there be a beach access somewhere nearby? And will the beach be "open" to go in the water? (We may win the long distance award, but we LOVE Seagrove Beach--we started coming when we lived in Birmingham, and have kept coming even after moving to NY. We have such pressure-packed jobs that this vacation is all-important, and we didn't want to cancel. (kids refuse go into the "cold water" of the north atlantic!) I do hope Seaside is reasonable about access--god knows we drop a bundle of money every year we come down.
newyorker

Nearby Santa Clara access will be one of the first to be rebuilt, if the Palms isn't finished before that. Keep checking back here for status.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
kurt said:
Nearby Santa Clara access will be one of the first to be rebuilt, if the Palms isn't finished before that. Keep checking back here for status.

Thanks--I will keep checking. I must admit to being stunned at the devastation wrought by Dennis and (probably) Ivan. Kurt--your pix are amazing! but still, we will come--gladly. There is a magic at these beaches. I just hope that they don't succumb to overdevelopment (parts of Destin remind me of NYC going to the Jersey shore--with hi-rise condos disgorging thousands of people all fighting for a little space for their towels.)

thanks to the folks who've answered my queries--this is a special trip every year for our family.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I just got in tonight and went to see the beach across the street from the Cottages at Camp Creek. I was prepared for the worst. The dunes are as bad as so many other places, but frankly the beach itself was not as bad as I thought it would be. There seemed to be a lot of beach (if not a lot of sand) and it wasn't as rocky as I had expected from the photos along 30A. Didn't look worse to me than after Ivan, and the beach looked quite good again within months after Ivan (there was still mound of black peat, but that didn't bother me). Although the dunes will take much longer, the beach itself should be looking better day by day. In short, I was relieved when I saw the beach rather than devastated. Certainly, this board helped prepare me and that was helpful. Also, seeing the beaches after Ivan and how quickly they came back (again, the dunes are another story) also puts my mind at ease.

VERY glad to be here and looking forward to exploring the area and open beach accesses over the next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.