• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Indigo Jill said:
:razz:
ORIGINAL QUOTE FROM SHELLY:
On second thought....this just may be a bargain club...check this out:
---------------------------------------------
BOCA RATON, Fla. - A hundred bucks might buy you more than six dozen burgers from McDonald's, but the swanky Old Homestead Steakhouse will sell you one brawny beef sandwich for the same price. Boca Raton Mayor Steven Abrams could barely speak between bites as he devoured the 20-ounce, $100 hamburger billed as the "beluga caviar of sandwiches."

The burger debuted Tuesday at the restaurant in the Boca Raton Resort and Club, where a membership costs $40,000 and an additional $3,600 a year.

Great point, Shelly, and I'm glad someone here besides me brought it up first as I was thinking of it all along! "Exclusive" clubs around the country cost major money - that is why people join them! And it's no secret St. Joe caters to those that want the privacy and priviledges associated with exclusivity. It's the Country Club mentality (at least up north, where I'm from, that is how it is). My brother just became a member of the club my father has been at forever and the initial fee to join was $35k with a $600 a month fee.:shock: There are a few included perks included but all tee fees are extra, etc. etc. And there is definitely no gorgeous gulf or ocean! Just a pool overlooking the perfectly manicured greens. It's just how much it costs and there are thousands of them around the US.

I actually have been quite surprised by the response of so many over the cost of initiation into the WaterSound Beach Club for this reason - $20K for that view is a DEAL. I mean - we are talking MULTI-million dollar homes and million dollar homesites - and that view!

Just my $.02 cents :razz:

So...does that mean St JOE's Beach Club Burger will only cost $50? :dunno:

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005
I think everyone would agree that the beach and views are unbelievably beautiful at WaterSound Beach. The upfront fee of $20,000 IS an absolute bargain if you don't already have access to the beach and views.

The rub for the homeowners in WaterSound Beach is that we have ALREADY PAID for the beaches and view, plus three pools, etc. What we would get for $20,000 plus $675 quarterly is simply access to the restaurant, bar, kid friendly pool and tennis. Many homeowners are questioning the value of those amemities when beach access and views are probably the greatest value of all.

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com
Josebby - The rub for the homeowners in WaterSound Beach is that we have ALREADY PAID for the beaches and view, plus three pools, etc. What we would get for $20,000 plus $675 quarterly is simply access to the restaurant, bar, kid friendly pool and tennis. Many homeowners are questioning the value of those amemities when beach access and views are probably the greatest value of all.

Great insight, Josebby. Then maybe the WS Beach Club will be for those exclusive few who want to be able to (and can) say that they are members or that want the personal attention of a private club?? As you just stated, owners there have access to the other ammenities with the view/beach/natural beauty and don't have to join the private club so everyone has "options"? I'm just throwing these questions out there. As I said, I was surprised by the response to the whole Beach Club issue. Is it those that can't afford the dues that are the most vocal? I don't know that, either. From the chatter I've heard of late around town and on the board, I am wondering if St. Joe needs to do something and soon to avert a PR nightmare! :shock: It's typically true that those that AREN'T happy with something speak up about it and those that are happy don't. I would like to hear from those that ARE happy with St. Joe and the WS Beach Club membership to get a realistic picture of what is really happening with St. Joe.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Indigo Jill......I am a big fan of the St. Joe people at Watersound. They have treated me very fairly and have been very responsive to my concerns. They are trying their best in a tough market. Joe has only seen a bull market in real estate since they became a development company. They are now learning the reality of a bear market. They will have to adjust and learn to cope in the new environment. They will make, and have made mistakes , but they have the best properties in the panhandle so ultimately they will succeed. They are now working and communicating very well with the home and lot owners and I suspect that will continue.
As far as people not joining the beach club because they may not be able to afford the dues......that is preposterous !! People that own in Watersound are for the most part financially substantial. I think most of the owners worked very hard for their money so I think it is a question of getting value for their money. I personally don't think the beach club offers it, so I will not join. Josebby said it best in her comments. If you plan to rent out your home, then it might make sense. It is my understanding that 30 % of the homeowners will be participating in the rental program......probably the majority of the 30% will be condo owners as opposed to single-family owners. I will be starting to build my house on lot 34 in the Dune Ridge area. I have no kids, don't play tennis, and am basically a hermit !! Of course I like to drink but I will do that in my own home or on the beach at sunset and save money that I would have p...ed away at the beach club bar. Did I also say I was cheap ??

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Paula said:
Darlene:

Yes, the beautiful beach is still free and you can still find yourself alone on a quiet beach at sunset on 30A through many months of the year (e.g., fall - winter and even some of May at our little area of 30A and I think at many other areas as well). Pretty amazing.

And you'll be happy to know that I've taught our children to never pay $2.00 for a take-out cup or can of soda pop (e.g., on trips) when you can by a case of soda pop for $3.00!

Yes, I agree with Darlene. On occasion its fun to get a bite and a frosty at Bud and Alleys at sunset, but there's nothing like being on the beach at sunset barefoot.
Favorite and unforgetable moments:

Neighbors who arrive with their homemade wagon with lights (you know who you are! You should patent it, its cool ! I want to make one too when we become neighbors! Of course in the color Mango :love: .)

Dogs running up to you for a treat or a head pet or noogie.

The dog that while waiting for his Master to wrap up his fishing gear, walks people up and down the dune walk overs

Sharing wine, cheese and other treats with new found or existing friends.

Watching a small puppy play with a little boy and try to bite his tushy lightly.

Listening to the LOUD frog croakies as you walk back after sunset, then ask them to use their human voice - and they stop for 15 seconds :D

Yes, this is all free, the best times I ever had, and I saved money that could be better used somewhere else.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Very nice beach times Mango...however, dogs are required by law to be leashed at all times on SoWal beaches.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Sueshore said:
Very nice beach times Mango...however, dogs are required by law to be leashed at all times on SoWal beaches.

I have seen some leashed and then other people just let them run and go swimming even at sunset (Pippet, Pippet! , :eek: Original Jaws) I am not the beach police, but one of my neighbors is always on poop patrol, and walks around with baggies filled with paper towels so people can pick up their dog poo. I am always there off season though, and the dogs I have encountered seemed well behaved. Still. the law is the law.

Unleashed dogs I bet would be no match for Miss Kitty :cool:

Reminds me of a funny story- my neighbors dog that looks like dog from Wizard of Oz does not come on my property anymore after my 24 lb Garfiedl cat chased her back to her house about 150 yds away, then cornered her under the lattice for hours. :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.