• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
InletBchDweller said:
Oh I forgot,

I put crayons in a ziplock bag with a safety crab/flag coloring book and so when the adults are trying to unpack the child has something to do...

That's a good idea. The kids learn while they have funn! The TDC has those available too!

Thank you!!!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Two things:

-- Beach towels walk away, though maybe there are others besides IBD with good karma in this regard.

-- 2 year olds draw on walls while parents unpack. My niece has an unbelievable talent for this.

Just a word of warning! (Buy washable crayons.)

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
oh I am sorry if you have had this trouble...I guess it is the luck of the draw on the renters that you get....granted my unit only holds 2 people...
TooFarTampa said:
Two things:

-- Beach towels walk away, though maybe there are others besides IBD with good karma in this regard.

-- 2 year olds draw on walls while parents unpack. My niece has an unbelievable talent for this.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
TooFarTampa said:
Two things:

Crayons are definately out! The walls are yellow eggshell. Thanks for that thought.

Do the beach towels walk often? Or is it a once a year thing? Do you take a deposit and charge when they walk?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
yippie said:
Crayons are definately out! The walls are yellow eggshell. Thanks for that thought.

Do the beach towels walk often? Or is it a once a year thing? Do you take a deposit and charge when they walk?

The thing with beach towels is, if you offer them and someone takes them -- even once a year -- the next person who comes is going to be mad because they didn't bring any and now they have to buy them. IBD is local and I am not, which makes a difference! We cannot depend on housekeeping and/or our management company to keep track of such things, and we don't want to pay for them to run out and buy us more. Also, it is probably not fair to require the housekeeping crew to wash them if they aren't going to be there for an entire wash/dry cycle. It depends on the size of the place, who is cleaning, and how potentially chaotic things can get on those "quick turn" days.

It's a nice idea, but I ruled it out after our friends who own next door told me they had had their down comforter stolen TWICE -- and the management company never noticed. (granted some companies and some housekeepers are more detail oriented than others.)

I would say 90-95 percent of the renters we get are flat out great people, but there are always one or two sets that can cause headaches. I have learned SO much doing this for the past two years!

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
TooFarTampa said:
I would say 90-95 percent of the renters we get are flat out great people, but there are always one or two sets that can cause headaches. I have learned SO much doing this for the past two years!

I would say that about most tourist myself. Most are just wonderful, but that one bad apple spoils the entire bunch sometimes.

Well, we will just have to keep a positive outlook and hope that the renters are screened well!

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
yippie said:
Hi everyone. A friend of mine purchased a cute two bedroom home in Crystal Beach. This is their first time with renting a vacation home.

There are a couple of things I would like to ask your help with.

First, as a house warming gift, I would like to make them an information book, including restaurants in the area, etc. and also a guest book. I have read on other threads that some of you provide these in your homes and the guest love them. Besides collecting menus from restaurants in the area, I have no idea where to start. Could you offer some guidence from where to purchase a cute book, to other things to put in it. Also, where to purchase a guest book that doesn't look like a wedding book?

Secondly, what are some of the special small things in homes that renters appreciate? From accessories, etc.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
When we bought our first beach house, I was so discouraged by the selection at local retailers, that I went on a 'quest' for the ultimate guest book. My search ended >> HERE <<

These folks publish the best guest book I have ever seen. Now we use this design for all our properties.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
katie blue said:
Yes, Yippie, you (or anyone) can PM me your email address if you'd like a copy of the visitors guide that Paula and I put together last year. Might need some updates/additions, but it's a great start and you can edit/customize it as you like.

This visitors guide is proudly displayed at our condo! Not only is it very attractively laid out, but it's also supremely useful. The ladies did a great job on it. My guests, especially newcomers to SoWal, really appreciate that we've made this available to them.

In my guest book, I wrote an introduction and told guests about our favorite restaurants, shops, and activities. Then I closed by saying "now it's your turn." This has encouraged guests to add their comments (which they really like, seeing the volume of comments we've been getting!).

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Mermaid said:
This visitors guide is proudly displayed at our condo! Not only is it very attractively laid out, but it's also supremely useful. The ladies did a great job on it. My guests, especially newcomers to SoWal, really appreciate that we've made this available to them.

In my guest book, I wrote an introduction and told guests about our favorite restaurants, shops, and activities. Then I closed by saying "now it's your turn." This has encouraged guests to add their comments (which they really like, seeing the volume of comments we've been getting!).

The intro is a great thing. It personalizes everything and lets people know that the house belongs to someone! I will suggest that, but can probably write it myself, I know these people and their elderly Aunt who lived there quite well.

I am still waiting on my copy of the visitors guide.

Katie Blue, did my PM reach you?? If not, please post again and I will send another.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Yippie-
I was sending you the guide (to your email) at the moment you were writing that! Synergy! Check your email. IBD, you got one too.