• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Wildernester said:
Before it closed Spiazza was a great place for breakfast. Also, the Bait House at Watercolor has a great breakfast. However, our current favorite is Blue Orleans in Blue Mountain.
Are they pricey?

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Last night, we went to The Old Florida Fish House, on Eastern Lake. I had thought by the name it would be more of an old time casual fish house but it is more upscale than that. Not over the top or fancy, just very pretty inside. The service was great. The signiture dish, "Fish House Grouper", was awesome. Sauteed grouper with lump crab and 2 shrimp on top. mmm. It was $19.95 al a carte. The small side salad of greens and blue cheese was $2.95. The little sea turtle had the corn and crab bisque ($3.50) and the grilled swordfish (22.95). He loved them both! Not cheap but priced fairly for this area and really fresh. Most entrees ranged from $15.95 to 22.95 (about like Cafe 30 -A) I would recommend this restaurant!!

Louie's Seafood on 98 past Carillon (on the right with a smoker out front) has one of the best shrimp Po'Boys around. $6.95 and I (almost) couldn't eat the whole thing! Someone had fried crawfish platter and it was great, too.

During these Hurricane Repair days, I would like to encourage other locals to continue to frequent the many restaurants and merchants in the area that depend on the summer income to survive.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Sea Turtle said:
Last night, we went to The Old Florida Fish House, on Eastern Lake. ...

Do they have non-seafood options, for those who don't want a seafood dish (I know, horrors, but there are these types)?

CajunGal

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2005
In Destin itself (or Holiday isle) what are the best Non-Chain places to eat?

WE've tried the Back Porch(mostly fried) and a few others that were just 'ok". Of course I'm from Louisisana, so we have great food here & I'm picky. :lol:

CajunGal said:

WE've tried the Back Porch(mostly fried) and a few others that were just 'ok". Of course I'm from Louisisana, so we have great food here & I'm picky. :lol:
We used to love Flamingo Cafe and Marina Cafe, but I don't know if they're there anymore or still good. Once we discovered 30-A, we rarely go to Destin.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
CajunGal said:

Try Louisiana Lagniappe on Holiday Isle- was excellent last time we were there (last fall).

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
RO - I like Smiling Fish too! In fact, Smiling Fish Cafe is my favorite on 30-A. Best grouper sandwiches (fried or grilled) and fries, best burger, best salads of any kind (salmon, duck, grilled chicken, panko shrimp, etc.), po-boys and other sandwiches, beautiful comfort food. Casual place with very friendly staff. Owner/chef George is from Louisiana and knows all about good food. Indoor and outdoor seating. :D

We also enjoy Borago's (gourmet Italian), Pandora's (steaks), Royal Orchid (Thai), and of course - Coco's Mexican Restaurant (great family place). :razz:

Wheelhouse? Listen to Camp Creek Kid. Do not even think about it.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
For Destin proper, we really like La Paz for good & fresh Mexican. I'm a sucker for their made to order black bean soup, and their prices are very reasonable. By far the best Mexican or Tex/Mex in Okaloosa County.

Osaka for Japanese and sushi.

Ciao Bella for Italian. Best thin crust pizza in the area.

McGuire's for American/seafood. Good year-round, but tends to be even better in the off season when it's only their core staff is working there.

Bonefish Grill for seafood. Yeah it's a chain, but it holds its own against the locals.

Quick bites- Publix subs; Panera Bread or Zoe's at Destin Commons.

Back Porch, Pompano Joe's, Louisiana Langiappe, and Gratzi are all owned by the same people. And IMO, tend to coast by on location rather than food quality. Decent enough fish, but cheapest possible starches. I'm picky about bread, and feel like the sandwich buns are sweet enough to taste close to cotton candy.

CajunGal

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2005
Thank you!

LaPaz is right near our condo & my gang loves Mexican!
I've always wanted to try Panerra bread.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
CajunGal said:

Louisianna lagniappe is very popular and I've enjoyed it. Might not be up to a cajun's standards but never heard complaints. It's not downhome - a bit fancy and is a great spot on the water.

Marina Cafe on the harbor.
404 East Highway 98
Destin, Florida 32541
(850) 837-7960

Destin Chops on the harbor.
414 East Highway 98
(850) 654-4944

La Paz - good Mexican.
950 Gulf Shore Drive
(850) 837-2247

Callahan's has been a local favorite for lunch for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.