• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
lindabobhat said:
What does his ethnicity have to do with the fact that he was driving drunk?
If he had been American, would you have called him a stupid drunk American or would you have just called him a stupid drunk?

You know why? Because Mexican/Hispanic drivers are a HUGE problem. I think everyone secretely knows this. I just happen to be the one to say it. When it comes to highway safety, I don't give two rat poots about political correctness. Go be PC all you want. I speak my mind. Put me on your ignore list if it bothers you.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
oh i give up! what's the point of trying to have a conversation about yellow lines and passing zones when these two ****zus keep jumping up and down and yipping at each other! shut up already!

i'm pouring myself a stiff drink, then walking to the 'fish recipes beginning with Q' or some such sowal forum - hey, with all the new forums you can pretty much hide in here... this place almost qualifies as a labrynth...now if i was a minotaur, where would i hide...

lindatat

quirty
Jul 14, 2005
Too far from the beach (Chicago 'Burbs)
aquaticbiology said:
oh i give up! what's the point of trying to have a conversation about yellow lines and passing zones when these two ****zus keep jumping up and down and yipping at each other! shut up already!

i'm pouring myself a stiff drink, then walking to the 'fish recipes beginning with Q' or some such sowal forum - hey, with all the new forums you can pretty much hide in here... this place almost qualifies as a labrynth...now if i was a minotaur, where would i hide...

I'll join you for a drink in a little while if my workout doesn't help me get centered.

BTW - I normally try not to make waves. But now I am, what is that expression I've seen on this board before, "Done and Done?"

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Beach Hawk said:
My wife, children and I love vacationing each year in SoWal and I've enjoyed reading (and laughing with) all the forum messages after discovering this site last year. All that time I never had the courage to post a message and am saddened to make this my first post given the topic.

Jim and Margie Rook's family is from our town and I've had the pleasure of knowing Jim Rook's brother and sister-in-law over the past year (our sons play sports together). I can assure you all that the entire family is special, very close-knit, and they all have made and touched many friends over the years. I'm sure it is comforting for the family to know that everyone on this forum is thinking and praying for them - especially the children. Please continue to keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Jim was well-known in town as an accomplished musician and his band has been extremely popular in Cincinnati for over 20 years. They played for large and small gatherings, charities, etc. and brought a lot of fun and smiles to people of all ages. The world is a lot poorer today for losing Jim and Margie. Here is the band's website in case you'd like to know a little more: www.thefastforwardband.com

:sosad: Beach Hawk, I am sorry this tragedy happened. They were a nice looking, happy looking couple. I am sad for their children, especially the 14 yr. old! And other family members and friends also.

imasunbum

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2005
I really don't know what to say - how sad I am for the entire family, but especially for the children. Does anyone have an update on the daughter's friend. I keep hoping to hear something positive.

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Re: Bad wreck on 331 - beware

Floridaz said:
But yet, you did exactly that to me (dog=attack)...without "direct" provocation by me...I know several people who live in the Inlet Beach area...great people and friends...but that really does not matter...

I guess having a double wide vs a single makes you less hospitable...:D

///I hope I did not make any typos...for the old fart doing the grading...

Wow! You really must be a selfish person to choose this thread of all the ones on this board to use for spreading negativity. Maybe you should scroll up a few posts and check the link for the 2 people killed in the accident. Not only do they seem like really decent human beings, but they left behind 2 children and many extended family members & friends. That's what this thread is about. I think it was lindabobhat that said any one of us could be involved in this kind of accident and that is so true. I know that when I'm traveling to SoWal on Friday I will be thinking about this accident and all the others that have tragically occured prior to it.

Traffic accidents are a fact of life. Unfortunately, so are insensitive people. And before you decide to reply back with something nasty just remember you're the one that made the first attack with your "women drivers from Dothan and drivers from Louisiana" comment.

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
This kind of stuff is really upsetting. It could happen to any of us...and probably has at some time.

My thoughts and prayers are also with the family.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Actually it did happen to us about 3 years ago on our return home from a wonderful week in Sowal--we were in south Alabama near Opp--on the 331 bypass around Opp. We were cruising along in the left lane, but tho the highway there is a four-lane, divided highway, it still has "grade level crossings". A very old man (in his 80s) pulled out of a cross street --it was clear he didn't see us. I managed to see that the guy had done this, yelled to my husband , he tried to veer off the highway, but it was too late, and we "t-boned" him. Thankfully, we had been slowing down for a light (way in the distance), and we had airbags. It was a rental car--a full-sized Buick--but it was totaled.
My husband and I had back and shoulder injuries, but they weren't serious. Our kids in the back seat were shaken up, but ok. The old man was taken to the hospital--I am truly hopeful that he never was allowed to drive again. His big Ford truck even had a trailer on the back--he was totally oblivious to what was going on traffic wise when he pulled out. The only disconserting thing in this accident was that his son was one of the police officers who answered the accident!!

It was a truly awful way to end our Sowal vacation--and every time we've come down since then, we've avoided the Opp bypass (which is engineered badly--we were told by the police that there had been many crashes like ours--people "weren't used to the four-lane highway at the grade-level crossings."

We were very lucky--the airbags really saved us, and as my physicist husband just explained to me, our accident had far less total acceleration than did the accident with the Rooks. My husband explained that a head-on crash like that actually means that the two velocities of the cars are added together--thus, the total force might have been as high as 120 mph.

May God have mercy on all of them and bless the Rook family. And may all of us be safe--this story has really affected me for obvious reasons!!