• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
This thread is quickly becoming as unplesant as the Seawalls thread. I see nothing wrong with discussing these safety issues...but it should be in its own thread..not tainting this sad and heartfelt thread which should be dedicated to the friends and family of the poor couple that lost their lives. Shame on those of you who are making a stink in this thread! You are showing the WORST of this board and of SoWal!Just MHO

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
:sosad: There has been alot of ridiculous bickering on here between certain parties. I agree with you, if they want to continue that, let them start another thread for that. I cannot imagine what Beach Hawk thinks of all of those posts. Embarrassing for Sowal folks, I am sure!

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
Mango and Beach Hawk,
My thoughts and prayers go out to you as well as the family and friends of this dear family. This was a senseless tragedy that changed many lives in an instant.
I read many of the notes on the memorial. The Rooks apparently made a positive impact on many people. I hope their children and friends will know the people in SoWal and those that enjoy the SoWal area offer support and prayers.
Please keep us posted on any scholarship fund for the children in memory of their parents.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Allifunn said:
This thread is quickly becoming as unplesant as the Seawalls thread. I see nothing wrong with discussing these safety issues...but it should be in its own thread..not tainting this sad and heartfelt thread which should be dedicated to the friends and family of the poor couple that lost their lives. Shame on those of you who are making a stink in this thread! You are showing the WORST of this board and of SoWal!Just MHO

Thank you Allifunn. Well Said.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
Destiny said:
Mango and Beach Hawk,
My thoughts and prayers go out to you as well as the family and friends of this dear family. This was a senseless tragedy that changed many lives in an instant.
I read many of the notes on the memorial. The Rooks apparently made a positive impact on many people. I hope their children and friends will know the people in SoWal and those that enjoy the SoWal area offer support and prayers.
Please keep us posted on any scholarship fund for the children in memory of their parents.

Thank you for the sentiment. I have expressed the SoWal support and prayers to the family, and they are grateful, and asked I express this to everyone.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Driver charged with DUI manslaughter in Walton wreck
July 04, 2006
By Gwen Break, The Sun

Jesus Bernal Rangel, 32, of DeFuniak Springs, is charged with three counts of DUI manslaughter and two counts of serious bodily injury as the driver involved in a June 24 wreck that killed an Ohio couple and a male passenger in the Rangel vehicle.

A July 2 report by the Florida Highway Patrol said Rangel, who was originally identified only as Jesus Bernal, was booked into the Bay County Jail with no bound and is awaiting extradition to Walton County.
James D. Rook, 43, and Margie L. Rook, 41, both of Cincinnati, Ohio, were killed when their car was struck head on by a Ford F150 pick-up driven by Rangel on the north side of the Clyde B. Wells Bridge on U.S. Highway 331 shortly before 5 p.m.

According to the original report filed by the Florida Highway Patrol, the Rooks were southbound on 331 the Rangel vehicle crossed the center lane into the path of the Rooks? vehicle.

Rangel was taken by air ambulance to Bay Medical Center in serious condition.
Trooper R.M. Miller, who investigated the accident, reported that the Rangel vehicle went onto the right shoulder after passing another northbound vehicle. In his attempt to get back on the pavement, he overcorrected and crossed into the southbound lane.

Also killed was a 29-year-old passenger in the Rangel vehicle. His name still has not been released pending notification of next of kin.
Magan Doherty, 14, also of Cincinnati, a passenger in the Rook vehicle, was seriously injured and taken to Gulf Coast Hospital in Bay County. She has since been transferred to a Cincinnati hospital.

Kylie P. Rook, 14, Cincinnati, daughter of the couple, suffered minor injuries and was taken to Twin Cities Hospital, where she was treated and released.
The couple?s son and stepson, Chris Rook, 22, was driving another vehicle behind his parent?s vehicle and witnessed the accident.

James Rook had worked at Deaconess Hospital in Cincinnati for about 15 years. He was also drummer for a local band, Fast Forward. Fans and friends were posting messages on the band's Web site, www.thefastforwardband.com
Rangel and his passengers are employees of Apec Concrete Co. of Atlanta.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
kathydwells said:
Driver charged with DUI manslaughter in Walton wreck
July 04, 2006
By Gwen Break, The Sun

Jesus Bernal Rangel, 32, of DeFuniak Springs, is charged with three counts of DUI manslaughter and two counts of serious bodily injury as the driver involved in a June 24 wreck that killed an Ohio couple and a male passenger in the Rangel vehicle.

A July 2 report by the Florida Highway Patrol said Rangel, who was originally identified only as Jesus Bernal, was booked into the Bay County Jail with no bound and is awaiting extradition to Walton County.
James D. Rook, 43, and Margie L. Rook, 41, both of Cincinnati, Ohio, were killed when their car was struck head on by a Ford F150 pick-up driven by Rangel on the north side of the Clyde B. Wells Bridge on U.S. Highway 331 shortly before 5 p.m.

According to the original report filed by the Florida Highway Patrol, the Rooks were southbound on 331 the Rangel vehicle crossed the center lane into the path of the Rooks? vehicle.

Rangel was taken by air ambulance to Bay Medical Center in serious condition.
Trooper R.M. Miller, who investigated the accident, reported that the Rangel vehicle went onto the right shoulder after passing another northbound vehicle. In his attempt to get back on the pavement, he overcorrected and crossed into the southbound lane.

Also killed was a 29-year-old passenger in the Rangel vehicle. His name still has not been released pending notification of next of kin.
Magan Doherty, 14, also of Cincinnati, a passenger in the Rook vehicle, was seriously injured and taken to Gulf Coast Hospital in Bay County. She has since been transferred to a Cincinnati hospital.

Kylie P. Rook, 14, Cincinnati, daughter of the couple, suffered minor injuries and was taken to Twin Cities Hospital, where she was treated and released.
The couple?s son and stepson, Chris Rook, 22, was driving another vehicle behind his parent?s vehicle and witnessed the accident.

James Rook had worked at Deaconess Hospital in Cincinnati for about 15 years. He was also drummer for a local band, Fast Forward. Fans and friends were posting messages on the band's Web site, www.thefastforwardband.com
Rangel and his passengers are employees of Apec Concrete Co. of Atlanta.
This still just makes me want to cry! How horrible for the son to have been behind them and witnessing the whole accident!:sosad:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Allifunn said:
This still just makes me want to cry! How horrible for the son to have been behind them and witnessing the whole accident!:sosad:

I know! I wasn't aware of this....makes it just that much worse!! :sosad: :sosad:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
My neighbor told me today about the article. She mentioned something about them not being able to find a drivers license on record for the drunk driver, so they are assuming he is in this country illegally.
My neighbor just moved into her house with her family, we were renting them both to the Rooks family and friends. She doesn't think she'll ever be able to drive over it without thinking about the Rook family. For the 4th of July, I told my guests to come in Friday of they wanted to. I didn't mention the accident- just told them I thought it would be less headache coming in that day- traffic and all. They took my offer.

Personally I have not traveled over that bridge yet. I fly in, and so I take the Mid-Bay bridge over from the airport, and I make my husband drive because I have a hard time driving over bridges. Afraid of heights.
I won't be able to get down to SoWal until October, but I think we'll be ok once surrounded by some SoWalers we want to get together with, read my guest book and see how many good memories were made in our house, and come to terms with this may have been just God's will.

In the meantime, I get to look at the pictures and read y'all light- hearted funny posts to make my day............. :love:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Mango, I went through a similar thing several years back. My exchange student was killed in a head-on accident by a crazy lady trying to kill herself. The crazy lady lived, not getting jail time due to insanity and Siri died just days after her 18th birthday. I was in shock for some time. Her parents were in Norway and we had many hurdles getting her back home. Her mom just couldn't get over the fact that she outlived her beautiful daughter. No matter what the circumstances, it's always a tragedy. Whether a parent loses a child or a child loses a parent. Just like the Rooks, Siri was loved by many and brought joy to everyone she touched.

I can only say to give yourself a little time. It wasn't sowal, it wasn't a saturday check in. It was senseless and out of your control. It can't be reasoned and I no longer try to make sense of any of it. I trust in my higher power that Siri is free and knows true happiness. Seems the hardest things to accept are those that we can't control.

Your reaction is merely a testament to the fact that you are a caring and compassionate person. You're right! Your home has given many people happiness. Maybe when their relationship was strained, maybe when they were fighting cancer or some other crisis, maybe it just fullfilled their dream of a once-in-a lifetime tropical vacation! You never know. :dunno:

Just give it time Mango and I promise you will come to peace with it. You'll be in my prayers.