• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
aquaticbiology said:
first the little electric scooters, then the golf carts

time to buy a stinky 2 cycle noisebox used rent-o-scooter (beeep beeeep) in retaliation

I agree. :lolabove: If I can?t use my golf cart to get to my deeded beach walkover, I?ll just buy a rusty diesel pick-up with a fifth wheel and leave the thing parked along 30-A, running, while I?m enjoying the sunset at the beach. I guess that?s legal. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sandcastle said:
I agree. :lolabove: If I can?t use my golf cart to get to my deeded beach walkover, I?ll just buy a rusty diesel pick-up with a fifth wheel and leave the thing parked along 30-A, running, while I?m enjoying the sunset at the beach. I guess that?s legal. :dunno:
That will be fine, but don't park it on the "bike path" because that is illegal.:funn: For all I know, it may also be illegal to park any vehicle on the right of way of 30A -- especially 5th wheel big dooleys, due to their obstruction of sight which could lead to traffic accidents and deaths. :dunno:

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
jhbeebe said:
I feel a more uniform enforcement of the existing laws as well as more education by the county to the public would make a big difference. Perhaps the TDC could help out, as well as the vacation rental business. At any given moment if you go to the Old Florida Beach access (Gulfview Heights) there will be 4-5 Golf carts stacked up and parked in the yellow lined off "no parking zone".

Many of the VRBO listings for that area (especially the ones across 30A) have golf cart listed in their ads to try to get renters and the renters would assume that it is ok the way it is worded.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
jdarg said:
How did Bowling Green make the cut??:dunno: :rotfl: I love it!

Golf carts may be appropriate in a very few situations. Like for old people on the golf course. Maybe for older people living in a golf community. If I am biking or walking on 30-A, I don't want to see a golf cart. That is why I visit the SoWal area and not a golf/beach resort.

I live in non-golfing subdivision here, but there is one golf cart in my neighborhood and I am OK with it- here is why. The driver is about 20 years old and has Down's Syndrome. He lives on a small cul-de-sac, and spends hours driving his golf cart slowly around the circle, with his radio on the seat next to him, bothering no one and not disrupting any traffic or pedestrians. Smiling ear to ear. This golf cart TRULY has a purpose and is useful- he loves it more than anything. It makes me smile to see him enjoying himself so much.

I loved this story. :love:

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Developments north of 30-A in the Gufview Heights area have sold the houses with golf carts to use in the development - cut me a break. The new Draper Lake development south of 30-A has golf cart access paths cut through the woods onto Betty St. and Buddy St. (public roads) that lead to a private golf cart parking area that they are building off of Gulfview Heights Street (public road).

What are owners thinking by allowing renters to use golf carts? Especially on 30-A, the bike path, and wink wink the grassy strip between the bike path and 30-A (owners have told renters there was nothing in the law about using the grassy strip). This situation is an accident waiting to happen.

Shame on the developers for misleading the buyers. Shame on the owners for misleading the renters.

Solution : Sheriff Deputy parks at Goatfeathers every morning from 9am-12am and 3pm-6pm. The county will make an easy grand a day.

Buy a golf cart (I did)for your own use until it is stopped and enjoy the ride.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Rather B. Paddlin said:
Developments north of 30-A in the Gufview Heights area have sold the houses with golf carts to use in the development - cut me a break. The new Draper Lake development south of 30-A has golf cart access paths cut through the woods onto Betty St. and Buddy St. (public roads) that lead to a private golf cart parking area that they are building off of Gulfview Heights Street (public road).

What are owners thinking by allowing renters to use golf carts? Especially on 30-A, the bike path, and wink wink the grassy strip between the bike path and 30-A (owners have told renters there was nothing in the law about using the grassy strip). This situation is an accident waiting to happen.

Shame on the developers for misleading the buyers. Shame on the owners for misleading the renters.

Solution : Sheriff Deputy parks at Goatfeathers every morning from 9am-12am and 3pm-6pm. The county will make an easy grand a day.

Buy a golf cart (I did)for your own use until it is stopped and enjoy the ride.
You are so right RBP - we own in that same neighborhood and keep ours locked up. Owners who allow their guests to use the carts are irresponsible and asking for trouble - I remind them of that each time I speak with any of them. I don't blame the developers - buyers should do their homework before purchasing. I like your proposed solution :clap_1:

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
I disagree about the warnings. Signs are posted all over the bike path to stop the operation of motorized vehicles on the path. Also, warnings will not deter someone who is at the beach for a week.

I do agree not to penalize the mislead renter. Levy heavy fines against the owner of the golf cart, who rented a house out under the premise that the renter could use it to get to the beach that is over a mile away. A few fines to owners or developers will get the attention needed.

But again as an owner, how could you hand the keys of a golf cart over to a renter knowing it is going to be used illegally and be placing the renters family in a very dangerous situation. I would love to hear the other side to this topic.

I love using my cart in my neighborhood, but would gladly give it up if the law was enforced. The tragedy is the situation will take care of itself after the first golf cart gets t-boned by an suv on 30-A.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
jhbeebe said:
I think it is a fair solution as well, however, instead of hammering unsuspecting people right off the bat with tickets and fines, most whom have been told or represented that it is okay - why not have the county or TDC make some effort to get the word out to the public as well? Maybe a few warning tickets would serve notice too. Talking about it in this forum is also a great way to get the info out in addition.

it was also in the paper, as evidenced by the original post. and, the bikepath is clearly marked with signage about no vehicles on the path.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jhbeebe said:
I think it is a fair solution as well, however, instead of hammering unsuspecting people right off the bat with tickets and fines, most whom have been told or represented that it is okay - why not have the county or TDC make some effort to get the word out to the public as well? Maybe a few warning tickets would serve notice too. Talking about it in this forum is also a great way to get the info out in addition.
Nothing like some real tickets to get the word out rapidly. There is nothing faster.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
jhbeebe said:
I feel a more uniform enforcement of the existing laws as well as more education by the county to the public would make a big difference. Perhaps the TDC could help out, as well as the vacation rental business. At any given moment if you go to the Old Florida Beach access (Gulfview Heights) there will be 4-5 Golf carts stacked up and parked in the yellow lined off "no parking zone".

For what it is worth I believe that it is mostly tourists who do not know any better, as well as some SoWal homeowners who live here part time who also may be not fully aware, especially if a developer has told - or sold - them otherwise. Lately, I have frequently seen pre-adolescent kids driving golf carts on the public roads and bike path, and cause some very scary near misses. I would be extremely unfortunate to see any accident occur from this here along 30-A.

We've had the same problem in Inlet Beach with kids driving carts. I have seen children who can't be more than 9 years old driving with a cartload of kids on the public streets. They run stop signs, drive at night with no lights, and generally are a danger to themselves and others. One night while walking back from the beach I was almost hit by a kid who ran a stop sign.

If this type of vehicle is going to be operated on public roads, it needs to be properly licensed and driven by people old enough to understand the consequences of breaking the laws, not to mention properly insured. The first time there is an accident and a bunch of kids get hurt or killed, I suspect there will be an outcry similar to the one that accompanied the lack of lifeguards on the beaches. And, I would hate to think of the liability associated with an owner allowing their tenants to use a cart in such a manner!

I also brought the problem to the attention of Brad Pickle at TDC. I think anyone who sees carts being operated illegally should call the problem to the attention of Walton County Sheriff's Dept. I have complained to the Sheriff's office in the past, but the problem persists, but hopefully more complaints will get their attention.