• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Re: Do you want brown sand dumped on the beach?

The temperature of the sand that the eggs are in determines the sex of the baby turtles. Darker sand would be hotter than white. Someone help me out on HOW this affects the eggs--I can't remember.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
As I have said before, sugar-white, powdery sand is the trademark of the beaches. To get away from that makes the beaches more ordinary. One may as well go to Mexico Beach or Cape San Blas.

The consistency of the sand concerns me as much as the color. Darker sand will eventually bleach. But sand with big grains will not change.

IMO, this is a big mistake. The look and feel of the beaches is now permanently altered as a result of this very knee-jerk solution.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I am so torn by this issue. On the one hand, sugary-white sand is the trademark of our beaches, not to mention the environmental issues! But on the other hand, I wonder how I'd feel about this issue if the home I loved was about to crumble into the Gulf. I think I know.

I talked to one of these owners (I think it's one of Sea Turtle's neighbors). She was so strong. I cried.

What a dilemma!