• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Sea Star, great to see someone else from Knoxville. I was born and raised in Knoxville. btanner has not made an appearance back on here though! Might be related to Roscoe Tanner from Knoxville??? Famous tennis player! :dunno:

btanner

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2006
Knoxville, Tn
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the welcomes and the input. We have a little less than 12 days until we arrive in Sowal and I cannot wait! I am bringing a few friends from college and their wives, and none of them have ever been to Sowal, so we are all in for a treat. My wife and I just bought new bikes and we are really excited about taking them out. Is it worth it to rent a couple kayaks for the week and if so, where? Also any tips on fishing in the surf (whats best to use), and can you fish in any of the dune lakes, and if so, what would I be fishing for? Are there freshwater fish in those lakes? Sorry for so many questions, maybe I will get a few answered. By the way, no relation to Roscoe. Thanks so much guys!

Ben

Seaquell.net

Beach Comber
Dec 5, 2005
Hey, Btanner...July 10 is coming quick. I am an owner in Mag Cottages and I have to say, you will love it! Most of the construction is completed. The pool is great. And the location can't be beat. An easy 6 mile bike to Seaside. An easy 2 mile stroll to Seacrest. The bike trail is packed every morning with walkers, runners, and bikers, and there's a wonderful spirit of community among those using it. Don't know much about the fishin' and kayakin'. Probably your house will have a little local phone book and your answers will be there.

There is a low-rise time-share sort of thing going on at the front of the complex. They're supposed to have a roof-top pool and cabana-type bar. And the development is supposed to double in size, going way back through to the forest area with hiking trails and another pool. But if they left it as is, that'd be cool. It's a quiet and idyllic setting as is.

So...welcome to Magnolia. Hope you enjoy your stay.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
btanner said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the welcomes and the input. We have a little less than 12 days until we arrive in Sowal and I cannot wait! I am bringing a few friends from college and their wives, and none of them have ever been to Sowal, so we are all in for a treat. My wife and I just bought new bikes and we are really excited about taking them out. Is it worth it to rent a couple kayaks for the week and if so, where? Also any tips on fishing in the surf (whats best to use), and can you fish in any of the dune lakes, and if so, what would I be fishing for? Are there freshwater fish in those lakes? Sorry for so many questions, maybe I will get a few answered. By the way, no relation to Roscoe. Thanks so much guys!

Ben
Don't miss Dread Clampitt if you can help it. They will be playing at the Red Bar in Grayton Beach Sunday afternoon and evening and Monday night. The Red Bar is a restaurant so you can eat while you listen. (It can be a little crowded. Hope crowds don't bother you. Not exactly your quiet, fine dining experience. Go to Borago for that.) Thursday night they play at the Sea Bar on Hwy 331 next to the bay bridge. Hope y'all have a great time! :D

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Welcome Btanner :welcome:

I've walked through Magnolia Cottages by the Sea and think it looks very nice -- well-designed, quaint, good-sized homes by the sea. We were in the Seacrest area last week and really didn't want to leave. You can see our "trip report" under "Paula's Trip Report" that I posted. That way, you can see what we do when we're in the Seacrest Area.

Have a great trip and post your trip report when you get back.