• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Let's discuss lifeguards, not flag warning systems

I've been reading the thread about the flag warning systems. It is obvious to me that the colored flag warnings are not very effective at preventing drownings in the gulf.
What I would prefer to discuss is what IS effective.

Sandee LaMott, the wife of the retired CNN correspondent who drowned at Grayton Beach, happens to work for WebMD. There is a really excellent article on the WebMD web site about rip currents and lifeguards. The entire article is here: http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/66/79889.htm?printing=true

It also contains excellent information on what to do if you or someone else is caught in a rip current.

The article, dated Tuesday, June 17, 2003, says:

About 12 Americans drown every day. Yet on beaches protected by lifeguards, the odds of drowning are one in 16 million, according to the U.S. Lifeguard Association. That's five times safer than on unprotected beaches.

Unfortunately, in these days of cuts in government services, fewer and fewer beaches employ trained lifeguards.

"The one factor that is most tragic about rip-current deaths is they wouldn't happen if there were lifeguards," Wernicki says. (Peter Wernicki, MD, is medical advisor to the U.S. and World Lifesaving Associations.)

"I think a large number of people who go to the beach are from inland. They are not good swimmers; they are not familiar with ocean currents. They don't have a clue what to do in an emergency. I think they are lured onto unprotected beaches. 'Come to our beach, it is clean,' they say. But maybe if they were better informed they would choose to go to beaches with lifeguards."

Sandee LaMotte is angry. She is working to get Florida municipalities to pass "Larry's Law" -- requiring lifeguards on all public beaches.
"The current lack of protection is just callous disregard for human life," she says. "It has to change."

B. Chris Brewster, retired San Diego lifeguard chief and national certification committee chair for the U.S. Lifesaving Association, is widely regarded as an expert on rip currents. He has been working for years to get Florida Gulf coast municipalities to establish lifeguards. Last week, the mayor and fire chief of Destin, Fla., spoke with him about establishing a lifeguard service. Most other northwest Florida communities, he says, haven't been as cooperative.

"It is my personal judgment that these communities are not going to change until forced to do so, shamed to do so -- which would take a lot -- or until they feel economically compelled to do so," Brewster says.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any of the individuals named in the story above and have never met any of them. But I think their case is very convincing and as a Walton County property owner, I fully support what Sandee LaMotte wants to accomplish. I hope that others will stand behind her in demanding safer beaches for our tourists in Walton County.

Having lifeguards does not have to cost property owners anything. The tourist development tax (or "bed tax" as it is known) could be used to pass the costs on to the tourist.

I can anticipate the argument that "people won't pay any attention to lifeguards." No, not if the county simply hires them and doesn't give them any authority. But many beach communities make it a violation of the law to disobey a lifeguard, and Walton County could do the same.

We have waited far too long to act on this problem. ABC's 20/20 last night has cast a cloud over Walton County and the county commisioner's interview in that televised news story makes the county appear callous, uninformed, and indifferent to the problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

Bob said:
50 people in 5 years drown in the area. Individual responsibility? Wow!

My brother-in-law had all the information about the dangers indicated by the red flags and he still CHOSE to go into the water. It was his responsibility. I have children the same age and I CHOSE to keep them off the beach.

There would have to be a lifeguard every 200 yards to patrol the entire beach. You can have lifeguards, laws, fines, jail time, etc. and that is still not going to prevent every drowning. People will find ways to get around every law and go into the water when they shouldn't. People disobey laws all the time--speeding, seat belts, running stop signs, etc. I understand that many of the drownings have occurred without warning and I agree that lifeguards would help in some situations.

I had a two-year-old son who almost drowned in a public pool even though he was 5 feet from a lifeguard. I am the one who pulled my son out of the water. If I had relied on the lifeguard to protect him, my child wouldn't be alive today.

We have choices and we have consequences. We are responsible for our own actions.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005

Camp Creek Kid said:
I had a two-year-old son who almost drowned in a public pool even though he was 5 feet from a lifeguard. I am the one who pulled my son out of the water. If I had relied on the lifeguard to protect him, my child wouldn't be alive today.

We have choices and we have consequences. We are responsible for our own actions.

If we follow this line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, we would eliminate lifeguards, seatbelts, testing of prescription drugs before they are put on the market, the USDA food inspection to keep the food supply safe, and anything else designed to improve human safety. :bang:

Last edited:

photocat

Beach Comber
Feb 19, 2005
I have to agree with Camp Creek Kid on this one. Lifeguards won't keep all people from drowning in rip currents. Period.

Sure, they may help and they may save a few lives but it won't solve the problem entirely and believing that throwing a few lifeguards on the beach would all of a sudden make the beach "safe" isn't realistic. It could perhaps create a false sense of security too - maybe have the opposite effect - who knows.

Now, that isn't to say there shouldn't be lifeguards, or seatbelt laws, etc. There should but what I hear Camp Creek saying (and believe whole-heartedly) is people will do whatever they set their minds to. A lot of these individuals also do not take responsibility for their actions and look to blame someone or something else when their actions backfire. And if you don't believe me - work all day long with the public in any type of customer service job you can find - after a few days, you'll change your mind :lol:

So bottomline - if lifeguards can save some lives - great all for it but they aren't the magic pill and some lives will still be lost, whether they are there or not.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005

kurt said:
This board is about all our opinions and knowledge, mine is not any more important than anyone elses.

I'm not saying the the basis for the story is ridiculous, and I see both side of the issue. I'm saying rip tides don't "stalk". Anthropomorphism used in a completely innapropriate way to sensationalize a story and prey on the public's primal fears, inciting those fears to sell advertisements and increase profits.

The culture of fear produces and devours headlines like that. Don't give in to unreasonable fears, like hurricanes, sharks, snakes, currents, mold, or sushi. If driving a car was a primal fear, we'd never leave the house. Be a little more skeptical about the content and the motives. Keep things in perspective.

Kurt, we *are* trying to keep things in perspective. Fear of having children drown is not even slightly irrational. After motor vehicle related deaths, drowning is the second leading cause of injury death for children.

As for hair-splitting about the use of the word stalking: Stalking may not be completely correctly used in their headline, but referring to their use of it as "anthropomorphism" isn't exactly correct either. Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena. Since animals stalk as well as humans, it's not technically anthropomorphism to use the term "stalking". :D (Though there may well be another more correct term for it.)

Sometimes it takes headlines like this to get people's attention in all the noise of everyday life. Maybe it's not technically correct to use "stalking", but once you see the story as it is reported, you realize, yes, there IS a problem here, and it's much greater than sharks, etc.

The problem is indifference on the part of the county to reducing the risk of drowning, and 20/20 pointed that out very accurately, in my opinion.

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH

kurt said:
This board is about all our opinions and knowledge, mine is not any more important than anyone elses.

I'm not saying the the basis for the story is ridiculous, and I see both side of the issue. I'm saying rip tides don't "stalk". Anthropomorphism used in a completely innapropriate way to sensationalize a story and prey on the public's primal fears, inciting those fears to sell advertisements and increase profits.

The culture of fear produces and devours headlines like that. Don't give in to unreasonable fears, like hurricanes, sharks, snakes, currents, mold, or sushi. If driving a car was a primal fear, we'd never leave the house. Be a little more skeptical about the content and the motives. Keep things in perspective.
Bingo. Media is very much about spin. Spin is about evoking emotion, not conveying fact.

Linda

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005

OhioBeachBum said:
Bingo. Media is very much about spin. Spin is about evoking emotion, not conveying fact.

Bill O'Reilly would be proud!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
>>Sure, they may help and they may save a few lives but it won't solve the problem entirely <<

But if one of the lives they do save just happens to be an innocent child whose parents are just, plan stupid--I think that it is worth it.

I've seen people take their toddler in the water when a red flag was flying and EMS was performing CPR on a drowning victim just a few yards away--to admit on national TV that a hokey cartoon crab (Seemore) is the best South Walton can do to protect visitors is beyond insane (but insanely cheap).

On the other hand, how much would the county have to pay these lifeguards to live in the "high rent" South Walton district?? (Certainly more than $10-12 per hour) Truth be told, I think that is what is stopping the county from hiring lifeguards in the first place.

When addressing water safey it stands to reason that a lifeguard on the beach (even if they only help to save a few lives) is more feasible than a cartoon crab on the TV back at the condo.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Ok, I'm gonna just say it: Cops don't prevent crime or vehicle accidents, ski patrollers don't keep skiers from hitting trees and getting caught in avalanches, and lifeguards cannot prevent drownings or shark attacks. I know, I've been in both of the latter professions. We can put in lifeguards for a "feel-good" measure, but the bottom line is that we will still have victims of bad individual choices or pure bad luck. Families of drowning victims (and the press) are not more accepting of their tragedy because the beach was "protected by lifeguards."

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Re: ABC 20/20 story on Walton County and tourist safety

sunsetdunes said:
See this 20/20 story that was on tonight about Walton County not reponding to the need for lifeguards on the beaches:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=965757&page=1

I didn?t see 20/20, but I read the ?Dangerous Stalking Current? article, and found that it was unbalanced and incomplete ? not surprising :roll: . Anyone who lives here understands that the issue of protecting visitors to our beaches is much more complex and is currently being addressed by Walton County officials (including lifeguards). Very poor media coverage - just about as lopsided as possible!

The flag system and education/awareness campaigns over the last few years have been an important part of addressing the beach safety issue. Certainly more needs to be done, and I am confident that Walton County will find the best solutions that are right for our beach community (we are not Daytona Beach here) and implement them. :cool:

Last edited: