• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There is nothing like a few shark attacks to keep people out of the ripcurrents. Any thoughts on bringing sharks closer to the beach to help prevent more drownings. Afterall, as I predicted, we have had more deaths from drownings than from shark bites this year. What do you say? :dunno:

Last edited:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
The bigger question is.....will a 16 year old earning $8.50/hr be willing (or brave enough!) to attempt to save a victim from the jaws of a shark? We're not talking your average swimming pool lifeguard duties here.

Now....if we could get a few David Hasselhoff-type lifeguards on the beach, that might be another story! :love:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
luvthebeach said:
Now....if we could get a few David Hasselhoff-type lifeguards on the beach, that might be another story! :love:
Even if you paid lifeguards annual salary of $30,000 each, where would they live?

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Smiling JOe said:
Even if you paid lifeguards annual salary of $30,000 each, where would they live?

I was wondering the same thing SJ.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Smiling JOe said:

It seems to me that it would be reasonable to have trained college kids working the beaches in the summer, but you'd have to have dorm-like facilities for them to stay in. I don't think the area has enough trained kids (who could drive in and out every day) to support the demand for lifeguards. There definitely would need to be a formal program with recruiting and housing. I'm not opposed to it at all. In fact I think it's a great idea. But putting such a program together is a challenge and will take some time to plan and execute.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
TooFarTampa said:
There definitely would need to be a formal program with recruiting and housing. I'm not opposed to it at all. In fact I think it's a great idea. But putting such a program together is a challenge and will take some time to plan and execute.

Sandestin recently built dormitory/appartment housing for some of their employees.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Smiling JOe said:

If it's David Hasselhoff, he's welcome to stay at our place! :laughing1

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
ShallowsNole said:
As has been asked earlier, how much should a lifeguard earn? Where are they supposed to come from? My guess is that we would need to tap the 16 ? 21 year old surfer crowd. This is appropriate, as they know our beach better than most people do.

The local surfer crowd is already pretty tapped out for those kinds of jobs. Foreign college kids already do a lot of the lifeguarding in Okaloosa and Escambia counties- seems like they're commonly from places like Poland, England, and former Yugoslavian and Soviet republics. And regardless of citizenship or nationality, everyone has to meet the same standards to get a lifeguarding job in those places.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Back to the $30K salary issue, bear in mind that's not too far from what a beginning Walton County deputy sheriff makes. Starting salary for a City of DeFuniak Springs police officer is $22K. :roll:

So, not only would it not make sense (in my mind, anyway) to pay them $30K, they most definitely don't have anywhere to live.

There has got to be an answer, but I don't know what it is.