• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

PTWizard

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2005
Columbus, OH
Too Far,

My hope is that you will enjoy your views for many, many years to come. Our property is one lot back from the beach but we have incredible, nearly unobstructed, views. I'd be delighted if everyone else was just satisfied to let their land appreciate and build some place else. Maybe there is a silver lining to a poor real estate market.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
Charlie Hilton is the owner of Gulf Asphalt and numerous hotels and partners with Allan Bense, who until recently was Florida Senate President.

In addition to retail and commercial building, GAC does the lion's share of road construction and paving in Bay County.

Last year Charlie and a Bay County Commissioner sought to have the pine tree, a native species, declared a nuisance tree so large ones wouldn't be protected.

Charlie's daughter Julie, an attorney, runs the hotels and recently wrote an op-ed for the Panama City NewsHerald on why special lights for sea turtles would hurt tourism.

PTWizard

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2005
Columbus, OH
On the other hand he built only one residence on three beach front lots thereby dramatically lowering the building density on the beachfront.

:cool:

He could have built 3 homes and 3 carriage houses.

:blink:

Like it or not he's also building an Icon on 30-A and the beach. When first built many hated the Eiffel Tower, some still do, but most now love it and it's become a beloved symbol of the city around the world. Not saying this home will acquire the same stature but it is definately unusual and recognizable. This home was designed by Arthur Dyson, Dean of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture, not that this is good or bad, just interesting. See http://www.arthurdyson.com for details.

Personally, once it's complete (yes, we've been waiting for years but there now seems to be light at the end of the tunnel) I think it will be very impressive. In my opinion, it's tremendously more appealing than some of the hideous out of place architecture prominently on display in Seaside.

:shock:

Robert

Beach Comber
Aug 30, 2005
Athens, GA
pmd8 said:
Charlie Hilton is the owner of Gulf Asphalt and numerous hotels and partners with Adam Bense, who until recently was Florida Senate President.

In addition to retail and commercial building, GAC does the lion's share of road construction and paving in Bay County.

Last year Charlie and a Bay County Commissioner sought to have the pine tree, a native species, declared a nuisance tree so large ones wouldn't be protected.

Charlie's daughter Julie, an attorney, runs the hotels and recently wrote an op-ed for the Panama City NewsHerald on why special lights for sea turtles would hurt tourism.
One that I know he owns is the Panama City Beach Sunspree (Holiday Inn). $0.02

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
I mistakenly wrote Adam instead of Allan Bense.

I'm sure Charlie was thinking of the environment and low density development when he decided to build a 9,500 square foot home.

Santa Rosa Pete

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2005
ATL & SRB
So who owns the impressive (though dwrfed, by comparison) home immediately to the east of the Hilton Hut? I've heard it's a Michael Jordan home then somebody recently told me it's owned by a major department store family. In any case, it's a spectacular home but simply looks like a pup tent compared to the George Jetson-designed house next to it.

When it's finally done, I sure hope the Hiltons open it up for a home tour benefitting a local charity. They'd generate a ton of curious folks who would probably be glad to pay a few bucks to tour the thing. Just bring your oxygen masks and space suits because you never know when that thing might take off!

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Santa Rosa Pete said:
So who owns the impressive (though dwrfed, by comparison) home immediately to the east of the Hilton Hut? I've heard it's a Michael Jordan home then somebody recently told me it's owned by a major department store family. In any case, it's a spectacular home but simply looks like a pup tent compared to the George Jetson-designed house next to it.

When it's finally done, I sure hope the Hiltons open it up for a home tour benefitting a local charity. They'd generate a ton of curious folks who would probably be glad to pay a few bucks to tour the thing. Just bring your oxygen masks and space suits because you never know when that thing might take off!

The house next door is owned by a couple from Dothan.

Hilton is not likely to let the riff raff in.

PTWizard

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2005
Columbus, OH
pmd8 said:
I mistakenly wrote Adam instead of Allan Bense.

I'm sure Charlie was thinking of the environment and low density development when he decided to build a 9,500 square foot home.

Would you rather he built a 9500 square foot, 10 unit condominium? Of course he didn't build thinking of the environment but the result sure is a lot better than some of the other alternatives being built on the beach.

By the way, the house next door has about the same square footage on two beach front lots. I enjoy them both.

:cool: