• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WJL

Beach Comber
May 31, 2006
www.myspace.com
It looks like Seaside is going for the higherbrow vibe-the little French guys wine bar...the soon to be closed Southern Cafe(if they don't change quickly) giving shades the boot-moving Bud and Alllies.......I guess Pickles will be a Starbucks...it would be a shame if the casual beachtown that is(was) so awesome, becomes a snobby Alys Beach...too bad

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Places down there can get away charging exorbitant prices with so-so food and people will line up for it.

Hello! Shades? Remember that little twinkle in Seaside's eye?

TN Eagle

Beach Crab
Jul 13, 2005
It seems that some fools can always take something that isn't broken and fix it until it is. Shades was the perfect fit for Seaside in the perfect building for the type of restuarant that it was. All the zillion dollar construction constantly ongoing at Seaside could never create such a combination - the neighborhood bar with great food in an old house with the art, atmosphere, etc. At least the building is still there. Just think - they could jam in another overpriced art shop there with several condos to rent stacked on top! It's becoming the Seaside way! Stopped in Great Southern last week just to check it out and looked over the menu while having a cold one at the bar. Needless to say, I did not (and will not) return to eat. The only positive I saw was the relocation of the bar onto the deck allowing enjoyment of the sights and sounds of a day at Seaside, although Shades bar was just fine even though it was a bottle neck at the front door in the evening. Great Southern seems to be the perfect restaurant created at board room level, not the customer level. My impression was that it's a casual Bud & Allies - overpriced creative foods, not the kind that you can get in your head and anticipate how great they will be for dinner while you are lounging at the beach. I hope it's demise is swift and painful. Granted, there may have been a dining gap at Seaside between Shades and Bud & Allies, but another eatery should have been added, not a popular one deleted. The moron architects of that decision should crawl on their knees back to Shades and beg forgiveness, pleading with them to return and reoccupy their former location when Great Southern closes, as it will. Shades was not just a twinkle, it was a beacon and a place to feel at home while away from home.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Oh for crying out loud...Shades was never more than average quality food and service. A lower price point for sure, and that's all I miss.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
I miss Shades, too but they were no stranger to a rude management and staff. I particularly disliked their unprovoked and quite vocal insistence that they did not offer French fries, but "Freedom fries." Give me a break and don't politicize my side dish, especially when it's being served with something as politically incorrect (albeit tasty) as a hamburger. I will say that Shades was a good fit in Seaside, especially for kids and people who like football. Mostly, I miss Orangey, the cat with attitude.

For every restaurant owner who whines about the shortage of a good labor force and falls back on that argument to justify problems with their establishment....I'll show you a person who is the problem with his or her wait staff. They are usually jerky bosses and people at SoWal have lots of choices, let's face it.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Which restaurants are consistantly good? I have experienced service meltdowns in places which have been highly recommended to me during July and August - it is just a fact that when everything is crowded it is very difficult to maintain service levels.

I remember that our experience when the Old Florida Fish Company opened was so bad, we stayed away for months, but when we returned in the off season it was wonderful. And I understand that that is a management team with a lot of experience in the area.

I almost hesitate to recommend a place (or to take visitors out) during the extreme summer months. It's just impossible to know how it will be (unless you are at one of the very small, very expensive reservation only places - BUT, I had a food quality/service meltdown at one of those places last year, also!)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sorry, Here4Good, but I am going to refrain from recommending my favorite restaurant in SoWal, due to it having the best service and excellent food. As more and more people go there, it will not be as funn to go to and I may no longer be able to get in the door. Mum is the word. I know noth-ing!

A couple of notes compiled:
John, I unfortunately agree with most of your statement about Shades. The food was average. I have had good service and terrible service there, and learned to sit at the bar for the best service. Prices were reasonable and comparable to the Roly Poly, which has taste roll-ups, but highly over-priced for that which is served. I liked the style of the cottage, but that building, too, will be moved elsewhere or torn down as Seaside fills in the holes of the total project. Location was good and I ate at Shades probably once per 10 days.

Donna, you make some valid points about management in general. From speaking with people who worked at Great Southern, I can vouch that management was non-existant. They relied on the most senior server to lead the group and not get paid additionally for it. The servers quickly grew tired of the chaos associated withthe restaurant being one of only a few places to dine in Seaside and they all seemed to rapidly jump ship. Treat your staff well, and insist that your patrons do, too, and you will keep staff for a long time, because good management is almost impossible to find in this area in the F&B business.

If you want to get great service, find that handfull of restaurants with servers who have worked there for over one year. They do exist, but again, my lips are officially sealed. :lol:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Sj...how are the margaritas?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
Sj...how are the margaritas?
I haven't dined or consumed beverages at Great Southern, but I can tell you that from reading others' posts, the drinks will be pricey and mediocre, and service may suck. :eek:

Disclaimer: I have not dined nor consumed beverages at Great Southern. I use the fairly-reliable system of word of mouth. If you don't hear locals bragging on it, you may want to skip it.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
We went this week. It was eh. My husband liked his chicken sandwich but I thought my lunch portion of crusted grouper and mashed potatoes was uninspiring. I wanted a grouper sandwich but since the po'boy was $15 and the crusted grouper $16, I spent the extra dollar. The grouper was disappointing -- kinda bland, which is not what you look for when you go for crusted fish. The kids seemed to like their food, and the outside seating was pleasant enough, but it was too expensive for what you got.

It was in huge contrast to my lunch two days later with Cork, Sunshine, Tootsie and Spidey at Wild Olives in Rosemary. Of course the company was fabulous (my first SoWal meeting!) but the food was reasonable and tasty and nobody was pretentious. MUCH more my speed, even though the service was a touch slow.