• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sea Star

Beach Lover
Nov 17, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Kurt - Just what is "sargassum grass"? We have seen various types of seaweed in Seagrove and don't know what any of it is. Thanks!! :blink: :dunno:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Re: Eager to learn more...

Good question! Is sargassum the spinachy stuff that smells to high heaven? How many kinds of seaweed does the area get and what are conditions that cause them to come in? I just love this message board...I get to learn new info to dazzle my family!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Re: Eager to learn more...

Off the coast of the United States, just south of Bermuda is the Sargasso Sea. This sea is the size of 2/3 of the United States. There, free-floating algae abounds. It is estimated that 7 million tons of live sargassum live in the sea! Sargassum reproduces by asexual means; a piece breaks off and becomes a separate plant.

Not surprisingly, this seaweed community supports a diverse ecosystem. Organisms found in the sea include shrimps, crabs, worms and fish. The sargassumfish is a fascinating creature that has adapted in a very specific and interesting way to live among the sargassum weeds.

Washed up on the beaches of SoWal, it creates a very effective means of trapping and holding sand that is deposited on the shore.

If you go offshore, especially during calm weather, you can find huge rafts of this plant. Mariners in the Atlantic who were caught in the "Doldrums", or zones of low winds, commonly found themselves surrounded by Sargassum. These plants have gas-filled balls which you can see in the picture that keep the plant afloat.

weeds_600.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I don't think that is a pic of the stinky stuff! It was a darker green. Thanks for the info!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Ocean Lover said:
Wow, very interesting. Is there more on beach than usual?

There seems to be a lot more this year, no doubt from the storms. We got no June Grass this year which is the stuff that's more like spinach.

Last edited:

Snapper Grabber

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2005
Kurt, your knowledge about the environment of the Gulf is very impressive. Does it come from being a SoWal native? You seem to know everything!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Snapper Grabber said:
Kurt, your knowledge about the environment of the Gulf is very impressive. Does it come from being a SoWal native? You seem to know everything!

:blush: I've been here awhile but I'm not a native. SoWal years are about the same as dog years. :lol:

Sea Star

Beach Lover
Nov 17, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Thanks, Kurt. I have seen the sargassum, just didn't know what it was. The air chambers remind me of the water hyacinths we have in our pond. The leaves of the plant grow from a large bubble-like part of the plant that keeps it afloat. Where do the little sticks with the knots on the ends come from? We find those on the beach a lot, and they are really quite interesting.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Sea Star said:
Thanks, Kurt. I have seen the sargassum, just didn't know what it was. The air chambers remind me of the water hyacinths we have in our pond. The leaves of the plant grow from a large bubble-like part of the plant that keeps it afloat. Where do the little sticks with the knots on the ends come from? We find those on the beach a lot, and they are really quite interesting.

If I'm thinking about what you're describing, they are a type of reed found in South Florida and Mexico. We get a lot of stuff that washes up from those parts that isn't native. Some of it very unusual, especially after storms.