• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
lindabobhat said:
We had a great lunch at Shades when we visited. We would definitely go back.

Now to go off on a tangent (and what thread would be complete without a tangent) I had some to-die-for Creme Brulee cheesecake at Smiling Fish Cafe that same week. Now I have something to try for dessert at Shades next time!

Uh oh, now I have to try them both!!

jpfreer

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2006
Seacrest Beach
Thanks to everyone for your comments about the restaurant. Our years in Seaside are cherished but the time had come (unwillingly) to separate ourselves and open another door for adventure.
I appreciate all the feedback from our local guests as well as those visiting for a vacation. I enjoyed sitting with Debbie and Kat and discussing local issues as well as address the concerns Deb had on a previous visit. I love the good comments and loathe the bad but it helps me learn something everyday about this business. I am very committed to my restaurant and expect every guest to leave happy, full and satisfied.
If there is ever a concern or a suggestion that you have feel free to tell myself, Darren, Daniel or one of my staff and we will do what it takes to make your experience a great one.
Thank you,
Joe Freer

P.S.
I wanted to let everyone know that the wings we serve at Shades are our recipe for our restaurants called Taco Mac in Atlanta. I grew up in Buffalo, New York and I am very proud of our Chicken Wings. The sauce is a special blend (secret) that has been around since my partner Greg first brought chicken wings to the Southeast in 1979. I personally drive the sauce down here about once a month when I come back from Atlanta. "Bon Appetit"
I really hope you enjoy them !!!!!:clap_1:

Thanks again to everyone and make it a great day !

Heart, Body, Soul

Joe

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
:welcome: Joe. Glad to hear you care about the feedback, and thanks for your post! We have a house in Seacrest and have visited the new Shades 5 or 6 times now, the last time in April. The food has ranged from good to very good and the service has been OK to terrible. (Though the terrible was late fall/winter ... awhile ago.) We're coming back in a week and will definitely check it out again. I want to be able to wholeheartedly recommend it to our renters because they are always looking for convenient places to eat. We wish you good food and lots of success. :clap_1:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
JP thanks for posting. The sauce is tasty but the last batch I had were not cooked properly. Improper oil temp and/or cooked not quite long enough (and I always order extra crispy to avoid that) = greasy (pronounced greezy). Maybe I'm not the norm but I always order with sauce on the side because I like sauce with my chicken not the other way around. If you drown a wing in sauce I guess it doesn't really matter how you cook them to most people.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Hi Joe, glad you're reading our feedback and posting back to us! I'm looking forward to going back and being able to write a glowing update.

Wow, so you're the Taco Mac/Crickets/Dugans people? I used to know Shelly (your sister or daughter, perhaps?) back in the day. Your family are pros in this business, that's for sure, so I know you guys will be doing whatever it takes to make it a success. All your ATL places are funky and approachable, and if you can retain that vibe at Shades, it's something we desperately need on the east end. The previous restaurant in your location was good, but was too polished and upscale to make us want to go there regularly. We really miss the Jolly Roger in Inlet beach that closed in 2004--it had the best bar, great acoustic music and food---you could totally capture that market. Good luck, and we'll see you down there next time.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
kurt said:
JP thanks for posting. The sauce is tasty but the last batch I had were not cooked properly. Improper oil temp and/or cooked not quite long enough (and I always order extra crispy to avoid that) = greasy (pronounced greezy). Maybe I'm not the norm but I always order with sauce on the side because I like sauce with my chicken not the other way around. If you drown a wing in sauce I guess it doesn't really matter how you cook them to most people.

you know the saying, you are what you eat? Kirky-baby IS a chicken wing... the end.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
jpfreer said:
Thanks to everyone for your comments about the restaurant. I am very committed to my restaurant and expect every guest to leave happy, full and satisfied.

Thanks to you, Joe, for your constructive personal attention to our comments. I'll be back to Shades on the Loop again soon.

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
HI Joe ! :welcome: We also hope all turns out well for the new Shades. We also like that we can get the Taco Mac wings if we get homesick !. We eat almost every Friday night at Va Highlands location.
Would you share the recipe for the Sweet Pepper Vinegarette ?????? PLEASE