• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
first--thanks for the info re the dialup services. Tho I don't want to schlep my computer around Seaside, I'm still very sad that Fermentations closed--it was a very civilized place to sit and watch people. Based on what I've been reading on this listserv re "development" efforts at Seaside, I hope that the "development" folks realize the careful balance of retail, space usage, and just plain human-scale and quirky architecture makes that place work.

"Jennifer"--I'm happy to talk about my college and other potential ones for your daughter, but that's best done privately. I think (based on the "Faq" that I read for this listserv) that you can do private messaging or email.
newyorker email

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
osubosco said:
Sorry to hear about Fermentations. That was the place my wife LOVED. I'm not a wine drinker myself, but it was a cool place.
Wine is not the only alcohol to be fermented. Mr. Rob Hall poured a nice tall can of Guiness from behind the bar at Fermentations. The New Year's Party was there last night open, and it was a great time, with a local, Jeff Caldwell, and the former drummer from Sly and the Family Stones, performing.

Suncat

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2005
Tennessee
Smiling JOe said:
Wine is not the only alcohol to be fermented. Mr. Rob Hall poured a nice tall can of Guiness from behind the bar at Fermentations. The New Year's Party was there last night open, and it was a great time, with a local, Jeff Caldwell, and the former drummer from Sly and the Family Stones, performing.

I saw Jeff Caldwell there last year and went to Sundog Books (upstairs) and bought his CD the next day. Didn't realize the drummer was from Sly and the Family Stone, but I'm not at all surprised. Without a doubt, one of the best performances I have ever heard. Are they playing anywhere else in the area now?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Suncat said:
I saw Jeff Caldwell there last year and went to Sundog Books (upstairs) and bought his CD the next day. Didn't realize the drummer was from Sly and the Family Stone, but I'm not at all surprised. Without a doubt, one of the best performances I have ever heard. Are they playing anywhere else in the area now?
In the past, Jeff, aka - the Barefoot Runner, frequently played at Capo's, which is no longer around. I am not sure where Jeff is currently playing, or if he is even in town.

FYI - At the New Year's close out party, the drummer who formerly played with Sly was not the kid who wandered in with the solo drum and sat in with them for a song or two.

Last edited:

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
newyorker said:
first--thanks for the info re the dialup services. Tho I don't want to schlep my computer around Seaside, I'm still very sad that Fermentations closed--it was a very civilized place to sit and watch people. Based on what I've been reading on this listserv re "development" efforts at Seaside, I hope that the "development" folks realize the careful balance of retail, space usage, and just plain human-scale and quirky architecture makes that place work.

"Jennifer"--I'm happy to talk about my college and other potential ones for your daughter, but that's best done privately. I think (based on the "Faq" that I read for this listserv) that you can do private messaging or email.
newyorker email

I miss Fermentations, Patchouilli's, and even the short-lived Albert F.'s. What is Seaside doing? If they run Shades off, it will really be a tragedy. And Bud & Alley's won't be there forever if the current mindset stays in place, further eroding the old 30-A ambiance IMHO.

Last edited:

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
newyorker said:
I don't want to schlep my computer around Seaside

When we rented in Seagrove, I would take my laptop each morning to Web30A on 30A. It was real easy - I plugged into their high speed lines and paid them a reasonable amount of money for the access. (I don't remember how much, it was several years ago - my guess - around $40 for 2 weeks) I got there when they openned, worked for about an hour and was home, ready for the beach, vacation time etc. by the time the rest of the family was moving.

Beach Java, also in Seagrove is wonderful, and the owners are fabulous. If you want coffee and Internet, then that would be a good choice.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
sunshine said:
Beach Java, also in Seagrove is wonderful, and the owners are fabulous. If you want coffee and Internet, then that would be a good choice.

...and it is free, not the coffee, just the internet.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
phdphay said:
I miss Fermentations, Patchouilli's, and even the short-lived Albert F.'s. What is Seaside doing? If they run Shades off, it will really be a tragedy. And Bud & Alley's won't be there forever if the current mindset stays in place, further eroding the old 30-A ambiance IMHO.

Any locals know or can confirm, I thought I read in the Sun in May that some "reconfigurations" were planned for Seaside retail and the little post office and a few other buildings were going to be moved or taken down. The article said that it was always in the plan from way back....?

Also, heard that Bud and Ally's (or at least the upstairs bar) was going to be moved or shut down (ie it is not going to be So-30A) and on another post on this board (a few days) ago that Shades' lease was expired and that they were going to be moving (to the Publix shopping ctr? Not wanting to start rumors just trying to confirm any of the above. BTW, is the Shades at the end of 30-A at Inlet Beach the same owner/menu as the one in Seaside?

Kurt or SJ...any truth to these changes or can you confirm or set me straight? Thanks for advance for any info. :clap_1: