• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Please everyone - email them - I got a reply within hours - maybe we can stop this.

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
I have just talked to Commissioner Pridgen and he has called an emergency meeting of the Walton County Board of Commissioners at 5 PM on Monday 8/1/05 in the south annex to discuss this issue. You should all be there to express your concerns!

I think it is important to get the commissioners to stop the contractors from bringing in any more of this dark sand and dirt to the beach in Blue Mountain AND it is important they require the removal of the dark sand and dirt from Blue Mountain Beach. We don't want to be known as Brown Mountain Beach.

Last edited:

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Richard said:
I have just talked to Commissioner Pridgen and he has called an emergency meeting of the Walton County Board of Commissioners at 5 PM on Monday 8/1/05 in the south annex to discuss this issue. You should all be there to express your concerns!

I think it is important to get the commissioners to stop the contractors from bringing in any more of this dark sand and dirt to the beach in Blue Mountain AND it is important they require the removal of the dark sand and dirt from Blue Mountain Beach. We don't want to be known as Brown Mountain Beach.

Kurt and all,

Kudos for this board. looks like we just saw the power of the internet and getting the word out on this. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

i can not be at the meeting on the 1st but hope that many other locals will make it and report back the results.

Awesome.

CJ

Beach Lover
Feb 16, 2005
Pt. Washington
Two things:
1. This is not about saving homes until the white sand pits are empty. Until then it is about saving a few bucks.
2. If heat and water made brown sand white there would be no dark sand beaches in the world...they would all eventually be white. I am not a scientist but if someone knows this common sense reasoning to be scientifically inaccurate, please fill me in. :dunno:

Kim Smith

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
There is no reasoning, it is about the all mighty dollar. I just received an email for one of the commisioners about the emergency meeting being held on Monday. Thanks to this board I believe they have heard our voices. I have seen some of the beach front homes and the damage but when you own a beach front home there are pros and cons and two of the biggest con's that kept us from buying was the wear and tear on the home and the chances of hurricans. I would hate to be in a beach front owners shoes because I know that less is not always the best. I believe the guidelines were established for a reason and that reason has made our beaches what they are today and the reason people come to them, why should that be compromised.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
Oh my gosh......is it terribly selfish of me to say that sand just looks awful?! I only vacation in sowal , but wow, that is GROSS :eek:

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
After much work today, County Commissioner Ken Pridgen requested an Emergency BCC meeting to take place at 5:00 p.m. this comming monday, August 1 at the South Walton Annex. The sole topic will be the use of this terrible brown muck that was placed at our beaches. Both Commissioner Pridgen and Meadows were as shocked at the photo's as we the people are.

Your attendance is needed this Monday. If you are concerned about the direction this Board of Commissioners has taken in regard to our beaches than please make your presence felt.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact: ed berry at 267.0558 or ed@shopforthehealthofit.com

SoWalSally

Beach Fanatic
Feb 19, 2005
Walton County Commissioners, JULY 29, 2005

This is an official MEDIA REQUEST, made by licensed Federal Communications Commission broadcast facility WGTX, in accordance with the FLORIDA SUNSHINE LAW and other state and federal laws governing full disclosure and release of information; Please FORMALLY RESPOND TO WGTX IMMEADIATELY.

A formal accusation has been made publicly to WGTX that County Commissioner Rosier Cuchens allegedly knowingly contracted and has been involved with bringing in the dark sand in question on the Beaches of South Walton;

On site witnesses state that:

Resident?s Complaints about the sand coloration resulted in Walton County Code Enforcement being called out, and Code Enforcement stated that the sand color and quality was not up to code;

A worker associated with the contractor performing the work, with alleged financial connections to Commissioner Rosier Cuchens, then contacted Commissioner Rosier Cuchens;

Commissioner Rosier Cuchens allegedly showed up at the site and instructed the Walton County Code Enforcement Officer to let the work continue after only removing two buckets of the dark sand based on the fact that - ALLEGED ? ?This has already been approved by the Board of County Commissioners, but I can?t find the paperwork / authorization at the moment? ? statement to Code Enforcement Official by Commissioner Rosier Cuchens

WGTX OFFICIALLY REQUESTS the formal dated paperwork, all documentation and all authorizations that the Walton County Commission granted to place the specific dark color sand on the Beach area in and around Blue Mountain Beach, which Commissioner Cuchens allegedly utilized to have Code Enforcement withdraw it?s opposition to placing the dark sand in question on the beach located in or around Blue Mountain Beach, Florida;

WGTX formally requests the dated paperwork and documentation issued, approved or granted by the Walton County Commission or any other governmental or regulatory agency that allowed Commissioner Rosier Cuchens or any of his assigns, affiliated companies, entities, contractors, subcontractors or others, ect to conduct any said work on or relating to the Beaches of Walton County, Florida;

WGTX formally requests release and full disclosure of any and all involvement of Commissioner Rosier Cuchens relating to any aspect of the repair, enhancement, renourishment, replenishment, restoration, ect or any like activity with respect to the Beaches of Walton County, Florida including but not limited to: Any and all of Commissioner Rosier Cuchens? assigns, affiliated companies, related entities, contractors or subcontractors.

Please reply or respond back only to:

John H. Beebe

General Manager

WGTX

850-267-2445

john@wgtx.com

Respectfully Submitted,

John H. Beebe

General Manger

WGTX

Status
Not open for further replies.