• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Beach Runner said:
ME ON JUNIPER: I run every red light. No way I'm stopping.

The halfway-house people attack you and your car when you're stopped at a red light (especially at Juniper and Pine). It's really scary, but it's faster to take Juniper to 75/85 at The Ted than get on the connector at 10th.

Luckily they are all sleeping in when it is brunch time at Einsteins. I don't even know if that place is still open. It was pretty much a gay hangout when Mrs Skunk used to take me there. She lived on 8th and Piedmont which was quite the colorful neighborhood. The crackheads were delightful and didn't bite :rotfl:

katie blue said:
One of my current favorites is Oakhurst Grill in Decatur/Oakhurst--it's run by this one chef with creole-inspired food, great atmosphere, on the square in a hip decatur neighborhood, great prices. Everything on the menu is a winner. One of the only places I'll eat Gulf Shrimp when I'm not actually on the gulf.

Udipi Restaurant in Decatur - Best Indian in Atl, arguably. It's vegetarian, but you never even think about that while you're there.
We've found that waiters assume that all females dining in Decatur are lesbian (as has happened to us at Watershed). So we don't go there anymore. When a waiter makes comments alluding to that when you're there with your daughter, it ticks me off.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Oh, nowwww... don't cut yourself off from all the delicious Decatur restaurants simply because of one experience...I mean, Watershed, being owned by Indigo Girls Emily does get a larger than usual share of lesbians sometimes, but so what? (Hey, might as well take it as a compliment that someone thinks you're hot and happening enough to be dating a 20-something! :rotfl:)

Decatur/Oakhurst are the cheeriest, most lively neighborhoods ITP right now. Lots of life happening there, and yes, the fun is in the mix.

Two other places in that area worth mentioning:
--Wahoo!, a seafood bistro that everyone raves about, havent been yet
--Brick Store Pub, on the Decatur square. Recently voted one of the top 10 world-class pubs, and its here in the south! Dripping with history, wooden beams, belgian brews and good food.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
katie blue said:
Oh, nowwww... don't cut yourself off from all the delicious Decatur restaurants simply because of one experience...I mean, Watershed, being owned by Indigo Girls Emily does get a larger than usual share of lesbians sometimes, but so what? (Hey, might as well take it as a compliment that someone thinks you're hot and happening enough to be dating a 20-something! :rotfl:)

Decatur/Oakhurst are the cheeriest, most lively neighborhoods ITP right now. Lots of life happening there, and yes, the fun is in the mix.

--Brick Store Pub, on the Decatur square. Recently voted one of the top 10 world-class pubs, and its here in the south! Dripping with history, wooden beams, belgian brews and good food.

KB my family took me to Wahoo for my birthday last year. We had a great night to sit outside in their great dinning courtyard.

None of us were too happy with our meals though. It could have just been an off night for the cook and wait staff. We all got a variety of items from the menu. It ranged from being cold, to under cooked, to overcooked.

I'd probably give them another try just to test my theory about the off night. The look and feel of the place was wonderful. Let me know if you go, what you think.

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
katie blue said:

Make sure you order the homemade pretzels

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
gotothebeachmom said:
KB my family took me to Wahoo for my birthday last year. We had a great night to sit outside in their great dinning courtyard.
None of us were too happy with our meals though. It could have just been an off night for the cook and wait staff. We all got a variety of items from the menu. It ranged from being cold, to under cooked, to overcooked. .
I'll let you know how it goes when we try it. And make a point to try the Oakhurst Grill for dinner sometime, GTTBM, I don't think you'll be sorry. He has a way with soups and sauces... :love:

As for bad meals, it really is all about who's cooking that day. I actually had a not-so-great meal at Tamarind Thai recently, and for years their food has usually been, well, pretty much perfect. But I was eating at an off hour.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
katie blue said:
I'll let you know how it goes when we try it. And make a point to try the Oakhurst Grill for dinner sometime, GTTBM, I don't think you'll be sorry. He has a way with soups and sauces... :love:

As for bad meals, it really is all about who's cooking that day. I actually had a not-so-great meal at Tamarind Thai recently, and for years their food has usually been, well, pretty much perfect. But I was eating at an off hour.

We'll definetly try Oakhurst Grill and Tamrind Thai. I heart Thia!

katie blue said:

You're right about Watershed. If we're ever in that 'hood, we'll try out your suggestions. I have a new BMW from Nalley in Decatur, but we haven't decided if we're going to get our maintenance done there or at Hank Aaron which is a lot closer.

Oh, and we love Tamarind Thai. Never had a bad experience there. For an appetizer, try the basil rolls and the dumplings (Ka-nom-jeeb). The red curry chicken (Kai-pad-prik-kingk) with string beans and kaffir lime leaves is very good, as is the green curry chicken (Gang-khew-wan) with eggplant, basil and coconut milk. My favorite is the Siam chicken with pineapple, cashews, and mushrooms.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Oh, and we love Tamarind Thai. Never had a bad experience there. For an appetizer, try the basil rolls and the dumplings (Ka-nom-jeeb). The red curry chicken (Kai-pad-prik-kingk) with string beans and kaffir lime leaves is very good, as is the green curry chicken (Gang-khew-wan) with eggplant, basil and coconut milk. My favorite is the Siam chicken with pineapple, cashews, and mushrooms.

Please tell me you brought the menu home with you, or I'll kill myself with envy about your culinary powers of recollection!! I always forget what dish I liked the best and end up ordering what I thought it was, rather than what it really was. Sometimes that's been good...other times very disappointing!

Mermaid said:
Please tell me you brought the menu home with you, or I'll kill myself with envy about your culinary powers of recollection!! I always forget what dish I liked the best and end up ordering what I thought it was, rather than what it really was. Sometimes that's been good...other times very disappointing!
Honey, my memory has been sh** ever since I turned 40. I always take notes.