• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
My Atlanta favorites:

Taqueria del Sol - on Howell Mill or in Decatur; make sure to order the fried chicken taco and the shrimp chowder; cheap and delicious!

Nuevo Laredo - BEST authentic Mexican

The Vortex - on 5th or in Little 5; great burgers & veggie burgers, huge beer selection, lots of local flavor (especially in Little 5)

Prince of Wales (on Piedmont) or Fox & Hounds (on Howell Mill) - good beer and pub food

I know there are so many new places that I haven't tried since I haven't been to Atlanta for a while. But these are the places I love!!! The other Steeleings eat there more than I do. So they should be able to add better input.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
steeleing1 said:
My Atlanta favorites:

Taqueria del Sol - on Howell Mill or in Decatur; make sure to order the fried chicken taco and the shrimp chowder; cheap and delicious!

Nuevo Laredo - BEST authentic Mexican

The Vortex - on 5th or in Little 5; great burgers & veggie burgers, huge beer selection, lots of local flavor (especially in Little 5)

Prince of Wales (on Piedmont) or Fox & Hounds (on Howell Mill) - good beer and pub food

I know there are so many new places that I haven't tried since I haven't been to Atlanta for a while. But these are the places I love!!! The other Steeleings eat there more than I do. So they should be able to add better input.

Hey Steeleing1- I know 2 gals that went into labor after eating fajitas. Just an idea if you are ready to roll. Since we were talking about food and all...;-)

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
Nobody has even mentioned The Varsity! Now they do have some tasty treats and the price is so easy on the pocketbook. I could go for a chili dawg with greasy onion rings right now. YUM!! YUM!!

Maybe we'll do that for Thanksgiving dinner this year. How does that sound?

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
Oldtimer said:
Nobody has even mentioned The Varsity! Now they do have some tasty treats and the price is so easy on the pocketbook. I could go for a chili dawg with greasy onion rings right now. YUM!! YUM!!

:puke:

Oldtimer said:

My Mom always took us to The Varsity as a treat if we behaved at our yearly trips to Dr. Davenport (as mentioned in the Anne Rivers Siddons' novel "Peachtree Road"). One year I ran away from home to avoid the yearly vaccinations. Dr. Davenport would have to sit on me to give me my injections.

I love me some chili dogs, onion rings, and frosted orange drinks at The Varsity. I always smile when I see families right after a Georgia Tech graduation going to The Varsity one last time. Hopefully we'll be celebrating a new GT grad there within the next year. BTW John Gordy was a friend of my dad and tried to encourage him to be a partner in the business. OOPS! The only bad business decision I ever remember my father making.

jdarg said:
Hey Steeleing1- I know 2 gals that went into labor after eating fajitas. Just an idea if you are ready to roll. Since we were talking about food and all...;-)

Maybe I'll try that tonight. I've been eating lots of Thai food, but I think it just makes him go to sleep.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
steeleing1 said:
Maybe I'll try that tonight. I've been eating lots of Thai food, but I think it just makes him go to sleep.

If you happen to go into labor tonight after eating fajitas and we don't get to chat with you again until after the birth of this sweet boy, I just want you to know that I hope everything goes well with the birth. So looking forward to seeing pictures when you feel like posting!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
kathydwells said:
If you happen to go into labor tonight after eating fajitas and we don't get to chat with you again until after the birth of this sweet boy, I just want you to know that I hope everything goes well with the birth. So looking forward to seeing pictures when you feel like posting!

She's either going to be thankful or curse me.:shock: OK- we are officially on Babywatch.

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
For a great new restaurant check out The Globe. It's on 5th street at Spring street in an area called Technology Square right by Ga Tech. It's a great restaurant. The chef, Joshua Perkins, was recently profiled in Esquire magazine as a hot new chef to watch (they profiled maybe 5 from the entire US). And the AJC and Atlanta Mag have mentioned it as one of the best new restaurants.

So, enough about what the critics think. I have enjoyed every meal there. It's a beautiful space, very slick but surprisingly comfortable. The lamb sandwich is great. I've heard rave reviews of the Spaghetti (who raves about spaghetti -- so I have to try it!) The desserts are incredible. But the thing I loved the best there is the BRUNCH. They serve it on Saturday and Sunday with $5 mimosas and bloodies. I loved the lemon ricotta pancakes!