• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
BeachDreamer said:
I am glad you mentioned this! We're thinking about renting one for our trip later this month. How far out did you go? Did the kids go too, and were they okay with sea stuff swimming around under you? Did the kayak seem stable in the waves? Did you keep the kayak for the whole trip, or just rent one for a day? Got any pictures to share? Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing it with us! :clap_1:

We rented a 2-man for 5 days, and it was suprisingly cheap. I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to going out so far that I can't see the bottom, so I stayed in the "light" stripe (shallow) areas of water closer to shore. Still lots to see. The water was very calm, so stability was not an issue. My husband and son had no problem going far enough out where they couldn't hear me yelling to come back in closer! Many people were way out in the darker blue deeper water. We also used it in Western Lake- actually put in the lake every day and paddled down the outflow, then dragged it to our beach "spot" for the day. It was very useful for hauling our stuff off the beach at the end of the day!

Yes we have some pics of kayaks, but better than that, the beautiful water and beach. Getting a few posted will require me to figure it out, so give me a few days!

KY oyster eater

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
Louisville
kurt said:
None of the courses are damaged. There is another thread with some opinions on golf:
http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=691&highlight=golf
Post specific requests on that thread and maybe we can get some more input on it.

And a list of courses here:
http://graytonbeach.com/golf.html

Thanks Kurt! You are a fountain of information. I was a little leery about coming down so soon, but the way it sounds we'll be there next Saturday. I certainly appreciate everbodies suggestions and help. Until then, take care. :bow:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
martin said:
OK - You guys are making us happy we didn't cancel. We will be there Sat.
Does anyone know how the Eastern Lake inlet has ended up.
Last picture I saw it was up around the boardwalk? Has it made back to normal? And how is that boardwalk coming off Cottage St and the Red Bar area? Thanks for all your help I've been watching the site, extremly helpful.

The Eastern Lake outflow has been moved and is not open to the Gulf at this time:
http://www.sowal.com/photos-072005.html

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Thanks jdarg, for the great info! I can't wait to see pictures - of everything, not just kayaks! - but I will be patient and let you recover first. :D I can understand the caution you'd have going out into the deep. Our lakes here are so red and muddy that you can't see more than a foot into the water, so I am not used to looking down into those depths and thinking - "Whoa, we are DEEP!". :blink: Nothing like floating on top of an enormous body of water, to make us realize how small and insignificant we really are!

jdarg said:
We rented a 2-man for 5 days, and it was suprisingly cheap. I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to going out so far that I can't see the bottom, so I stayed in the "light" stripe (shallow) areas of water closer to shore. Still lots to see. The water was very calm, so stability was not an issue. My husband and son had no problem going far enough out where they couldn't hear me yelling to come back in closer! Many people were way out in the darker blue deeper water. We also used it in Western Lake- actually put in the lake every day and paddled down the outflow, then dragged it to our beach "spot" for the day. It was very useful for hauling our stuff off the beach at the end of the day!

Yes we have some pics of kayaks, but better than that, the beautiful water and beach. Getting a few posted will require me to figure it out, so give me a few days!

amylouky

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
jdarg said:
Alright AMYLOU- we returned home to the 'Ville today (and yes we are bummed to be home). We have NEVER seen the water as beautiful as it was last week in Grayton. Crystal clear, the perfect aqua, awesome sandbars, lots of sea life to see...best week we have ever had. If you have room in your vehicle I could be persuaded to go back down! I tried to write everything in our rental's guestbook, but there was too much fun to get it all. So if the owner of Blue Crab reads this- we had an awesome week and your house was perfect for our crew. We stayed on the beach pretty much the entire week and did not venture much further than Red Bar and Bud & Alley's. I think we drove the car twice since we brought our bikes and rented a kayak. There was really no reason to do anything else but enjoy that beautiful place!

I keep repeating- 2 WEEKS next year, 2 WEEKS next year.

At least we have graytonbeach.com to keep us sane until the next visit- thanks Kurt!

Excellent! We're headed down on the 12th.. I can NOT wait. Our car is pretty well packed.. but, um, I guess we could strap you to the top? :dunno:

amylouky

Beach Lover
Jul 7, 2005
Louisville, KY
KY oyster eater said:
The anticipation of heading down to Seagrove next Friday is killing me! Glad to hear all is returning to normal since all the storms. What about the local Golf Courses? Did any sustain any major damage? Any help and local knowledge on pricing and the most "bang for my buck" would be extremely helpful. Any web links would be equally welcome. We plan on playing a couple of rounds and hopefully the weather will be conducive to an enjoyable round or three. Great to see a bunch of Louisvillians have the same taste and make Seagrove their vacation spot also. We are from Jeffersontown and can't wait to get all 9 of us down there! Thanks, B.K. :clap_1:
We'll be passing you on the way down.. we'll be going down the next Friday!
By the way, hi neighbor! (J'town here too!)

KY oyster eater

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
Louisville
Howdy back to you neighbor! I'm originally from the Hikes Point area but enjoy living in J-town. Now if we can just get Mayor Clay to move into the 20th Century and approve Sunday liquor sales.....hahahaha. I've been traveling down Taylorsville Rd. all my life as I had an Aunt and Uncle who lived off Wilderness Trail when I was growing up. That is just past the Gene Snyder going out towards Fisherville, just before you get to the Pope Lick monster. We'll be sure to honk and wave at ya as we pass next weekend! Hopefully the weather will clear up. Seems by looking at the weather forecast that it has been thunderstormy down there for a while. Perhaps someone will update that for us. This message board is one of the best things I've ever seen. Thanks again to everybody for keepin us updated on what makes this the best place to vacation in Florida. :lol: