• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Re: Emergency BCC Meeting

Flipper said:
I attended the emergency meeting that took place immediately after Dennis. Gulf front homes are on the edge of collapse and many were concerned that with even a rain storm their homes would be lost.
I am a beach front owner and I am as concerned as anyone with the color and quality of our beaches but the problem is THERE IS NOT ENOUGH WHITE SAND TO TAKE CARE OF THE NEEDS OF THE BEACH. The decision was made as an emergency measure to allow gulf front home owners (at their expense) to bring in a darker sand to reinforce their homes, rebuild a portion of the dunes and then to cover the darker sand with three feet of white sand.
I know of many gulf front owners that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on approved white sand after Ivan only to see it taken by Dennis. We are one of them. We have depleted the reserves of white sand and we are left with little alternative.
Before giving our commissoners "hell" recognize that we have no viable options. Please help us with soulutions to this problem but remember there is not enough approved white sand available.
Please recognize that as gulf front owners we love this beach enough to endure the repetitive storms and still keep hangin" in there!

Did you see the brown dirt that has been dumped on the beach in Blue Mountain? How can anyone even consider using BROWN DIRT on our pristine beaches? The beaches are pristine, even after storm damage, because they are an ever-changing natural environment. If homes are in danger, then they should be protected to the extent possible - but never at the expense of the entire beach environment. That's what is at stake here.

If a homeowner isn't selective about the quality of sand used on their beachfront, then what will be the effect on beaches up and down the coast? Please let DEP or someone with a coastal engineering background help determine how to renourish the beaches (including how to protect homes) - NOT WALTON COUNTY ... :pissed:

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Is there some reason why sand could not be blown on shore from the ocean floor? There may be a reason for this, I have just been wondering.

Kim Smith

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Smiling Joe or Kurt,

I hate to ask this because it seems in times of need you two always come through with much needed information as to the area and what's going on. From you posts and your feelings about our beaches, I assume one or both of you will be at the meeting. I am out of town and would love to be there but our school's have started but I did send my letters, (which were not very nice) to those officials. I was hoping one of you would be able to post what happend and if there are other things that we need to do. I appreciate all of your posts. My husband says I have become a graytonbeach.com junkie. YOU GOTTA LOVE OUR BEACHES.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I think I can hear plans being made and experiments being conducted all the way over here in Dallas. To our fearless crew attending the meeting tonight...I sing your praises here and thank you for being the caretakers of the beaches we all so love and treasure. Good luck...common sense is on your side and I am sending all the positive vibes I can muster!

It's probably a good thing I am here...I might just be one of those banshees that gets ejected. Wish there was a live feed via the internet tonight, but I know one of you will give the rest of us a report.

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Sueshore said:
I think I can hear plans being made and experiments being conducted all the way over here in Dallas. To our fearless crew attending the meeting tonight...I sing your praises here and thank you for being the caretakers of the beaches we all so love and treasure. Good luck...common sense is on your side and I am sending all the positive vibes I can muster!

It's probably a good thing I am here...I might just be one of those banshees that gets ejected. Wish there was a live feed via the internet tonight, but I know one of you will give the rest of us a report.

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!

Ditto from St. Louis! Thanks to all of you down there who will be representing the masses who are appalled by what's happening in Blue Mountain. Hopefully you can all knock some sense into the powers-that-be and get this stopped before they destroy any more of the beautiful beaches that we all love. We can't get down there in time for the meeting, unfortunately, but thanks so much to those of you who will be our voices. You'll be in my thoughts (and prayers!) this evening. Good luck!! :clap_1:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Sandie said:
It's 8:30, hurry and let us know what happened in the meeting!!!

You must be in the Eastern Time Zone. Walton County is Central Time Zone (1 hour behind you). I suspect we should be seeing something soon (good news, I hope!!!) Let's keep our fingers crossed :!:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
lollygal said:
I have a friend who is there and I have been trying her cell for 30 minutes -- no answer! It surely can't go on this long! :eek:

You don't suppose they've all been hauled off to jail, do you? :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.