• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
What holds up best at the beach? Our current set is probably still OK but it is a little too, um, festive for our tastes and not of the greatest quality. Our rates will go up next year because the massive construction behind us will be over (it has to be!) and we want to make parts of the house a bit more upscale to correlate with the higher rates.

We have thought about slipcovers in denim or chambray, with maybe a striped slipcovered chair thrown in. That way we can wash them upon our arrival. But microfiber is another option. On one hand it is hard to damage or stain and can look clean all the time, on the other hand you have to clean off the spots or it tends to look spotted and messy in my limited experience. Don't know what it would look like after 10 weeks straight of renters.

What is best at handling the beach house wear and tear without being so patterned it's, um, loud? Any ideas are appreciated. Never seen this one discussed before. Most of the houses in Seacrest look a little fancier than ours on the interior and I'm sure this is important to some renters. (But not all.)

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
TTF, there's a woman down the street from us who has four children under the age of 10 and her house is gorgeous AND she has white sofas and chairs. They're all slip-covered. She has a contract with a local drycleaner (or maybe it's the local carpet-furniture cleaner?) to come in and professionally clean the coverings and she told me her furniture looks great all the time. That made me a real believer in slipcovers right then and there, because I have half as many children and my furniture looks like I had a dozen!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Mermaid said:
TTF, there's a woman down the street from us who has four children under the age of 10 and her house is gorgeous AND she has white sofas and chairs. They're all slip-covered. She has a contract with a local drycleaner (or maybe it's the local carpet-furniture cleaner?) to come in and professionally clean the coverings and she told me her furniture looks great all the time. That made me a real believer in slipcovers right then and there, because I have half as many children and my furniture looks like I had a dozen!

It's not that crazy. If we had a beach house that we didn't rent, I think white slipcovers would be both lovely and practical. However it would not be friendly to post signs limiting the types of beverages that could be imbibed, and during the busy season the housekeepers would not have the time to wash the covers in time for the next renters. That said I really like the medium blue denim slipcover idea, since it still hides some grime yet when it fades after washings it looks good. But I would not want to discount the new microfibers if they are truly better performing. I want something that looks nice yet we can get some use out of. Thanks for the input. What did you use for Mermaid's Cove?

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
We got a Rowe sofa for Mermaid Cove, from Sandcastle Design over in Panama City Beach on Rte 98. It's a denim-royal blue color, upholstery fabric, not microfiber. I like the feel of microfiber but it's so smooth I'd be afraid the least little bit of dirt would show. But seeing that I know nothing of its durability, I might be all wrong! I suppose you could google microfiber furniture to gather more info on how it holds up. It's the latest thing in all the furniture stores so there have to be some good reports on it.

Never mind, I was curious myself so I googled it.
http://www.home-decorating-reviews.com/microfiber-sofa.html

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Mermaid said:
We got a Rowe sofa for Mermaid Cove, from Sandcastle Design over in Panama City Beach on Rte 98. It's a denim-royal blue color, upholstery fabric, not microfiber. I like the feel of microfiber but it's so smooth I'd be afraid the least little bit of dirt would show. But seeing that I know nothing of its durability, I might be all wrong! I suppose you could google microfiber furniture to gather more info on how it holds up. It's the latest thing in all the furniture stores so there have to be some good reports on it.

Never mind, I was curious myself so I googled it.
http://www.home-decorating-reviews.com/microfiber-sofa.html

Thanks Mermaid. Now I am even more confused. :dunno: I prefer the slipcover look for beach house decor but maybe microfiber is the way to go ...

Did you feel like you got a good value and good service from Sandcastle, and do you think Rowe is nice quality? The sofas I have looked at were Rowe from Sandcastle.

Anyone else with advice? If what you have still looks good after a few years of renters, could you tell me about it?

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005
Hey TFT! I had the same decision to make when furnishing Bridge Lane. I love the white slipcovered look, but thought it wouldn't always be its best when having rental guests.

I decided to go with khaki slips in a heavy cotton fabric on the sofa and khaki/white small stripes in a lighter cotton fabric on the two larger chairs. Just used inexpensive white cotton slipcovers on the two smaller (so they'd be easier to wash) chairs. Much like the denim you are considering in terms of wearability, but a little more beachy and updated. Also blends well with most any accent colors.

Pictures of the khaki look are on www.watersoundbeach.net if you'd like to see them.

After 2+ years, the sofa and chairs look great and haven't needed washing yet.

You may want to stay with a cotton fabric in whatever color you choose. Microfiber doesn't say 'beachy' as well as cotton does.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
josebby said:
Hey TFT! I had the same decision to make when furnishing Bridge Lane. I love the white slipcovered look, but thought it wouldn't always be its best when having rental guests.

I decided to go with khaki slips in a heavy cotton fabric on the sofa and khaki/white small stripes in a lighter cotton fabric on the two larger chairs. Just used inexpensive white cotton slipcovers on the two smaller (so they'd be easier to wash) chairs. Much like the denim you are considering in terms of wearability, but a little more beachy and updated. Also blends well with most any accent colors.

Pictures of the khaki look are on www.watersoundbeach.net if you'd like to see them.

After 2+ years, the sofa and chairs look great and haven't needed washing yet.

You may want to stay with a cotton fabric in whatever color you choose. Microfiber doesn't say 'beachy' as well as cotton does.

Josebby your condo is the ultimate ... thanks so much for the input. I did not need to see the photos again, I remember it well enough from Coastal Living!!

I agree with you that cotton feels beachier. Maybe a lighter blue denim (with some blue and white or cream striped pillows) is a way to go. I love the khaki slips look too, but our entire first floor plus stairway is in a cool grayish off-white color that the blue would look so nice with. Unless it was a very taupey stone khaki, it may not look so good.

Our rental also is a kid magnet, unlike yours, so a touch darker with the slips may be the way to go.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Here, take a look at this, from Sandcastle Designs:

http://www.sandcastledesigns.com/slipcover.htm

We've been very happy with the Rowe sofa we bought from them, so I can imagine that this line of sofas would be equally nice. It looks like you can choose slipcovers from whatever fabric you want, so this might be worth investigating!

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005
Just took a look at your condo pictures. It's adorable!

If you'd like, I'll take a look thru my treasure trove of beach decorating magazines to find rooms with paint your color. Should be able to come up with a couple color schemes for you in addition to the blue theme.

Playing off the colors of the Gulf that way is a great way to go. Just be careful not to make the room too 'cool' so that it loses that cozy, comfy feel people love to see in web site photos.

I'm guessing you looked at the artwork above the sofa for color inspiration. Any good color combos there?

Any other furniture changes you're considering?

Can you tell I'm a designer wanna be ?? :D

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
josebby said:
Just took a look at your condo pictures. It's adorable!

If you'd like, I'll take a look thru my treasure trove of beach decorating magazines to find rooms with paint your color. Should be able to come up with a couple color schemes for you in addition to the blue theme.

Playing off the colors of the Gulf that way is a great way to go. Just be careful not to make the room too 'cool' so that it loses that cozy, comfy feel people love to see in web site photos.

I'm guessing you looked at the artwork above the sofa for color inspiration. Any good color combos there?

Any other furniture changes you're considering?

Can you tell I'm a designer wanna be ?? :D

Hey, me too, but I have a long way to go before I get my home in a shelter mag. :bow: So any advice is appreciated ... as is words of wisdom from Mermaid, who did such a wonderful job on Mermaid's Cove and I know is as obsessed with these things as I am!

It would be so much better with a blank slate, but the cooler wall color scheme, which we inherited along with most of the furniture when we bought two years ago, really has to stay. We're trying to work new stuff in with the best of the stuff we got. That art piece in the LR is probably a designer no-no -- it was bought purely "to match the couch" or to balance out some of the riotous colors and somewhat mask the fact that we don't have symmetry on that side of the room. The couch is not at all centered between the windows. A big mirror might suffice as well though, so the art can go elsewhere. There are other places for it and I like it well enough.

Sandcastle has a very large selection of slipcover fabrics, but I am as picky as Mermaid. I snapped photos of what I liked, and here are the best ones. Though this was in October and maybe there are some new selections.

fourthpics034.jpg

fourthpics029.jpg

I realize now that the denim in the first pic is probably too dark, but I do like both stripes and the lighter chambray denim quite a bit. I'm actually quite partial to the lighter denim combined with that first stripe. We'd probably add a more streamlined coffee table and end table set and move the current coffee table to the tower room. I bought the lamps this year and love them.

We go back and forth on the DR furniture. It isn't the most updated but it is sized so nicely, the oval shape really fits perfectly, it is comfortable and the tones of it work well with what is already there. I think we can hang onto it if we recover the seats with something fresh.

In the bunk room, I'd love to get rid of those metal bunk sets and add one twin-over-twin white painted bunk set with a full or queen sized bed with cottagey white headboard. Some more accessories and we would be set and the room would be much more flexible and comfortable.

This is not wholly my decision by any means ... we own the house with another couple and they will have their own ideas about where to spend money and what it should look like. I really wanted to choose the best fabric style first and then pick the design. But I could go on and on all day about this stuff! Thanks for being interested!