• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sea Star

Beach Lover
Nov 17, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Mermaid said:
Peapod, we were just at Leeward II on Saturday and I took these photos for you. Leeward I has been bulldozed. The stucco on the side of Eastern Shores condo has been blown off, exposing the Tyvek and plywood. It's not very pretty! Leeward II's deck is unsafe and the little boardwalk that ran alongside it is now history. That section of the beach really took a bruising from Dennis in July. There's a lot of re-construction going on, lots of bulldozers moving sand and materials back and forth. Nothing seems to be happening very quickly, though.
:sosad: Thanks for the pictures Mermaid. We were at Eastern Shores in October, and Leeward I was still there, complete with sinks hanging off the walls, furniture in the sand, etc. It was my understanding that this damage is from Ivan. At least the owner of one of the condos at Eastern Shores told us that. Will Leeward I be rebuilt or will the new setback laws prohibit that?

Mermaid - are you an owner of Hidden Beach Villas?

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Ocean Lover, there's beach access to the west of Hidden Beach Villas and the Palms of Seagrove. Down the road a bit. You should see it! It's a ramped access and it's been very nicely built and pretty to look at. The other public access is west of the highrise, the taller one. One Seagrove Place, I think? Again, very nicely done. It's east of the Tom Thumb.

Yes, we now own a little postage stamp of paradise over at Hidden Beach Villas. We bought it because it was all we could afford but now we've fallen in love with it! The location is great and it's nice to have a place small enough to be easily manageable. We really lucked out.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Hey Mermaid-We are all very lucky! What a great postage stamp you invested in! Hidden beach Villas is the first place we stayed in South Walton when are now grown kids were just little about 15 years ago! A buddy here in TN told us to go to Seagrove. It is so beautiful there! Hidden Beach Villas was very reasonable and clean and quite cute I thought. I remember a murphy bed, quite clever for an efficiency. What a smart investment! :clap_1:

jpowell378

Beach Crab
Aug 4, 2006
Has anyone been to Leeward II lately. I just wanted to know how the area is recovering from the hurricane damage.

Thanks.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
jpowell378 said:
Has anyone been to Leeward II lately. I just wanted to know how the area is recovering from the hurricane damage.

Thanks.

I was over there the other day. Leeward I has been bulldozed and removed. They are still working on eastern Shores. Leeward II looks great and they will be rebuilding I. I saw a listing on MLS for $895k. Hope this helps!

jpowell378

Beach Crab
Aug 4, 2006
Thanks for the reply Franny. I've booked Leeward II #7 for a week in October. I stayed in Seagrove in 2004, at a different location, before the hurricanes and was curious as to how bad the damage in the area is. Have the beaches been pretty well restored and is there a lot of construction in the area? Not to be selfish, but, I'm just hoping that there's not going to be bulldozers and other equipment operating while I'm trying to relax on the beach. Thanks again.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
jpowell378 said:
Thanks for the reply Franny. I've booked Leeward II #7 for a week in October. I stayed in Seagrove in 2004, at a different location, before the hurricanes and was curious as to how bad the damage in the area is. Have the beaches been pretty well restored and is there a lot of construction in the area? Not to be selfish, but, I'm just hoping that there's not going to be bulldozers and other equipment operating while I'm trying to relax on the beach. Thanks again.

I live close to Leeward and walk that part of the beach every day or two. The dunes there, which were never really high, are now mostly gone. Otherwise the beach itself is well recovered from the Ivan and Dennis damage. You should find it as relaxing as always. The only equipment you'll see is the Walton Co. trash pickup truck.:D