• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Anyone have the average temps for December in SoWal? Also, a calendar of events for the Christmas and New Years holidays in SoWal. I know it is quiet compared to the busy Spring/Summer season but I have a renter that is coming in for New Years and wants to know what the weather is like and Holiday activities at Seaside, Rosemary or other venues. Any info would be great.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
If you look for the online calendars for Rosemary Beach, Seaside, and Baytowne wharf, they may have posted their fall/winter events already. There are also community calendars online.

When we come to the area in the winter, we hang out at the beach (even if it means sweatshirts, but so far we've been able to be out in bathing suits most days, but then again we're from the north so we'll go out in bathing suits at 65 degrees -- the teenagers and college students up here wear shorts as soon as the temperature gets up to about 50 degrees in the spring! They'll even wear flip flops if the snow has melted.). We also go out for dinner at the restaurants in town. The kids go to the Track for an afternoon in Destin because that's open (near the Big Kahunas). We usually travel with extended family over the holiday, so we're happy just being together in such a beautiful place with beaches and fine eating places.

By the way, Hanukkah falls between Christmas and New Years this year, so let's hope we see some beautiful menorrah's being lighted on the beach at sundown... It's a wonderful, meaningful and simple tradition that can take your breath away. All over the world, on each night of Hanukkah at sundown, families light one more of 8 candles on the menorrah until all are lit on the last night.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
wetwilly said:
I have a renter that is coming in for New Years and wants to know what the weather is like and Holiday activities at Seaside, Rosemary or other venues. Any info would be great.

Great fireworks at midnite New Year's eve at Baytowne Wharf in Sandestin. :clap_1:

We love to come to the beach between Christmas and New Year's just to relax after all of the pre-Christmas activities. We sleep late, eat seafood, indulge in adult beverages, walk on the beach, ride bikes, watch lots of movies, etc. - basically we're lazy bums. As it gets closer to New Year's Eve, a lot of people do fireworks on the beach, so that's fun to watch. On New Year's Eve we've tried the $100 per person meal/party at Bud & Alley's, but we've decided we prefer grilling some fresh seafood. Then we go to the beach, do our own fireworks (yes, we clean up our litter), then go back to the house and get into the spa that we've cranked up to 100 degrees. On New Year's Day we watch college football while admiring the Gulf of Mexico, and I cook black-eyed peas with hog jowl, greens, cornbread, and pork roast. Really a relaxing, fun time of the year to be on 30-A!

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Beach Runner said:
We love to come to the beach between Christmas and New Year's just to relax after all of the pre-Christmas activities. We sleep late, eat seafood, indulge in adult beverages, walk on the beach, ride bikes, watch lots of movies, etc. - basically we're lazy bums. As it gets closer to New Year's Eve, a lot of people do fireworks on the beach, so that's fun to watch. On New Year's Eve we've tried the $100 per person meal/party at Bud & Alley's, but we've decided we prefer grilling some fresh seafood. Then we go to the beach, do our own fireworks (yes, we clean up our litter), then go back to the house and get into the spa that we've cranked up to 100 degrees. On New Year's Day we watch college football while admiring the Gulf of Mexico, and I cook black-eyed peas with hog jowl, greens, cornbread, and pork roast. Really a relaxing, fun time of the year to be on 30-A!

Now that sounds like a great holiday. :love:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Hey, how come no one thinks my idea of going to "the Track" in Destin between Christmas and New Years sounds enticing (frankly, I didn't go either - my husband and brother-in-law brought the kids...). They had a great time. They also rented those multiple person bicycles in Seaside and road around Seaside. These are the kinds of things the kids -- ages 5 to 13 -- loved (in addition to going to the beach).

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
wetwilly said:
Anyone have the average temps for December in SoWal? Also, a calendar of events for the Christmas and New Years holidays in SoWal. I know it is quiet compared to the busy Spring/Summer season but I have a renter that is coming in for New Years and wants to know what the weather is like and Holiday activities at Seaside, Rosemary or other venues. Any info would be great.

Wetwilly,

I'm not sure of the average temps, but we have spent a couple of weeks around Christmas and New Years in SoWal the past two years and the weather (except for a couple of days) was wonderful. It is cool, but we had many days that approached the low seventies. Nights are a bit cooler, but not bad at all.

There were many days we actually spent on the beach in shorts and sweatshirts when the kids played in the sand. Some brave souls actually went swimming in the ocean. If you have a heated pool, you can definitley swim comfortably. Biking and kayaking are great in the cooler weather. Sitting on the front porch and reading a good book is very comfortable.

We actually love it at Thanksgiving too. There is a great parade that winds its way down 30A from Seagrove to Seaside.

Definitely worth a trip in the late fall and early winter.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Paula said:
Hey, how come no one thinks my idea of going to "the Track" in Destin between Christmas and New Years sounds enticing (frankly, I didn't go either - my husband and brother-in-law brought the kids...). They had a great time. They also rented those multiple person bicycles in Seaside and road around Seaside. These are the kinds of things the kids -- ages 5 to 13 -- loved (in addition to going to the beach).

Paula,

I think your idea about going to the Track is a good one. My kids (4-12 yrs old) love that place. We go everytime we come down to SoWal in the Spring/Summer whether my wife and I want to go or not. The traffic into Destin is brutal in the Spring/Summer but we do it for the kids and to see them have a great time. I am glad that Seagrove and the area does not have any "amusement" parks but am also glad that we can get to either Destin or PCB so we can see the kids have fun and be kids.

I like all of the other suggestions posted and even though I started this thread to get info for my renters---now instead of renting it to them in the December holiday timeframe....I want to keep it for myself and my family. :clap_1: :clap_1:

Thanks for the insight and info. :clap_1:

:cool: