• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
skier said:
Wetwilly,

I'm not sure of the average temps, but we have spent a couple of weeks around Christmas and New Years in SoWal the past two years and the weather (except for a couple of days) was wonderful. It is cool, but we had many days that approached the low seventies. Nights are a bit cooler, but not bad at all.

There were many days we actually spent on the beach in shorts and sweatshirts when the kids played in the sand. Some brave souls actually went swimming in the ocean. If you have a heated pool, you can definitley swim comfortably. Biking and kayaking are great in the cooler weather. Sitting on the front porch and reading a good book is very comfortable.

We actually love it at Thanksgiving too. There is a great parade that winds its way down 30A from Seagrove to Seaside.

Definitely worth a trip in the late fall and early winter.

Skier,

Thanks for the post. As I said in my post to Paula, now instead of renting to the folks that inquired about it....I am now going to consider just bringing the family down instead. Sounds like you and others like it down in SoWal anytime but sure sounds like Fall and Winter time seems great.

Even though SJ and others are trying to keep it a secret...ooops :blush: ...sorry but the word is out.... :clap_1: :clap_1:

Wetwilly :cool:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FLORIDA (082220)
Period of Record Monthly Climate Summary
Period of Record : 1/ 1/1931 to 3/31/2004
See this link for Climate info and click on "Climate" found on the menu on the left side of the page.

Please be aware the the data for October has to be incorrect. The weather is the worst for that month. I don't know why they chose to lie when posting their statistics for October, but the rest of the year looks accurate.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FLORIDA (082220)
Period of Record Monthly Climate Summary
Period of Record : 1/ 1/1931 to 3/31/2004
See this link for Climate info and click on "Climate" found on the menu on the left side of the page.

Please be aware the the data for October has to be incorrect. The weather is the worst for that month. I don't know why they chose to lie when posting their statistics for October, but the rest of the year looks accurate.

And Joe, don't forget that there are absolutely no activities for adults or kids during October. Also, most of the restaurants shut down. So, no need to come down during such a terrible month of the year. :laughing1

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
skier said:
And Joe, don't forget that there are absolutely no activities for adults or kids during October. Also, most of the restaurants shut down. So, no need to come down during such a terrible month of the year. :laughing1
thanks for the reminder, Skier. Let's also remember the numerous man-eating sharks, stinging jellyfish, and killer ripcurrents, all of which are worst from
Oct 1-Oct 31. :blink:

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
Smiling JOe said:
thanks for the reminder, Skier. Let's also remember the numerous man-eating sharks, stinging jellyfish, and killer ripcurrents, all of which are worst from
Oct 1-Oct 31. :blink:

Also, awful crowds from Destin's month long fishing tournament.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Also, if you're into a "White Christmas," you can just go to Deer Lake Park and pretend. (My husband gets the credit for this photo.)

What an awesome photo! If one didn't know better, they'd swear it was snow! Who needs the real thing when you can have all this and the gulf too!! :clap_1:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
wetwilly said:
Paula,

I think your idea about going to the Track is a good one. My kids (4-12 yrs old) love that place. We go everytime we come down to SoWal in the Spring/Summer whether my wife and I want to go or not. The traffic into Destin is brutal in the Spring/Summer but we do it for the kids and to see them have a great time. I am glad that Seagrove and the area does not have any "amusement" parks but am also glad that we can get to either Destin or PCB so we can see the kids have fun and be kids.

I like all of the other suggestions posted and even though I started this thread to get info for my renters---now instead of renting it to them in the December holiday timeframe....I want to keep it for myself and my family. :clap_1: :clap_1:

Thanks for the insight and info. :clap_1:

:cool:

WetWilly: Whew, glad someone else brings their kids to the Track. We never go to Destin in the peak summer time (we stay in SoWal) but we go to Big Kahunas in August (and go to Krispy Kreme near there, although I hope their still in business now that the company was found to be "cooking the books" and doing illegal financial deads as well as cooking donuts) and the Track between Christmas/New Years when driving to/through Destin is much easier.

The only months that I haven't visited SoWal are June and October and it sounds like I really should stay away from going there in October. Who needs to see those lovely Monarch butterflies lightly frolicking among the native landscape in SoWal as they migrate south in the fall.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
October, what a bummer month at the beaches. Leaden skies and constant rain, man-eating butterflies that cause humans to break out in hives, all the historic buildings under scaffolding, all the restaurants on hiatus, and non-stop re-enactments of Civil War Battles, which stop all the traffic in both directions for hours on end. Better plan for September or November!