• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
drsvelte said:
Also, awful crowds from Destin's month long fishing tournament.
And you know, there are gators EVERYWHERE on 30-A in October, November, and December. I mean, when you're on the bike paths, gators just lunge out at you. It's plain scary! They love to eat dawgs and marshmallows.

(True story - when I was a UF student, I would frequently see an alligator sunning him/herself on the sidewalk by the pond near Little Hall. I'd always not-so-calmly walk to the other side of the street. YIKES!)

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
The Track is not just for kids silly rabbit! Have you ever done "The Woody"? I am not what you would call a risk taker (except for being in SoWal during Oct!)....but there is something about putting the pedal to the metal and out racing your husband and son while going up and down a tower made of wood! Try it you will like it...just not in summer or October.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Sounds like I should join the kids and the men for a trip to the track when they go this year. Thanks for the recommendation! I secretly enjoy the Big Kahunas in August (lazy river is my favorite and this year I'm hoping they let me bring a paperback book while I go down the lazy river).

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
By the way, the other things that bother me about those Monarch Butterflies that flutter around SoWal the fall are (1) they think they're so hot and they flap their golden sunlit wings around as though they think they're as glamorous as Paris Hilton (someone should tell them they are bugs); (2) they like to frolic on the vegetation and flowers on our beach access rather than use a public beach access; (3) I've heard they even frolic on the dunes, disregarding those "stay off the dunes" signs. Bad butterflies... :nono1:

bennifer

Beach Lover
Jul 6, 2005
Good morning from GA and let me just tell all of you two things
First...I WANT TO COME FOR THE WINTER WEEK AT 30A! :clap_1:
that would be the white Christmas I have dreamed about allllll my life so I will take on those BULLY BUTTERFLIES and "KILLER" TRAFFIC and BORING SCHEDULES.

Second...When we started coming down 16 years ago we decided after the first year that we would keep Seagrove/ Grayton a secret but look what has happened! Somebody has been spreading the rumors.

ok must get to work...I have to blow on my wind chimes of fish that I bought in Grayton Plaza and stare at the gray wall cubical!
BEACH DREAMIN'
jennifer

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
jennifer said:
Good morning from GA and let me just tell all of you two things
First...I WANT TO COME FOR THE WINTER WEEK AT 30A! :clap_1:
that would be the white Christmas I have dreamed about allllll my life so I will take on those BULLY BUTTERFLIES and "KILLER" TRAFFIC and BORING SCHEDULES.

Second...When we started coming down 16 years ago we decided after the first year that we would keep Seagrove/ Grayton a secret but look what has happened! Somebody has been spreading the rumors.

ok must get to work...I have to blow on my wind chimes of fish that I bought in Grayton Plaza and stare at the gray wall cubical!
BEACH DREAMIN'
jennifer
You will not have a problem with all of those bad things if you plan your trip around October. Winter should be fine. Darn those biting butterflies coming in October. Their bites are worse than the Deer Flies' (aka Yellow Flies).

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Jennifer...

IMHO, I think the beginning of the end was "The Truman Show" being filmed in Seaside. The summer after it's release the place was teeming with folks..especially standing in front of and trying to get into the Truman House!! They finally put a sign up saying "This is a private residence". Nothing as great as 30-A would be kept a secret too long, but that show sped things up a bit! BTW...my daughter and two friends were down at our place in WC in May and wisely used the WC shuttle to get around...Sara loved it and said one of the twins from The Truman Show was their driver! What a hoot for her!!

Cavallino

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2005
depends on the date
Our kids like the Huge Christmas Tree and Santa at Destin Commons.
Last year, Santa told our 3 year old that he drove a tractor...not a sleigh. So that is what she repeated for months.

They really decorate the property....which adds to the Christmas spirit.

Doug

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
One more thing to do when the weather is cooler, especially during Christmas-New Years with family. In cooler months, we like to sit in the hot tub in the evening and watch the stars come out one by one. With kids, you could even turn this into a fun game (e.g., who sees the first star, second star, etc.). In the summer we do this now and then while floating in the pool.