• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.
image.php
http://www.sowal.com/bb/image.php?u=238&dateline=1121394570

Now that is some funny stuff :laughing1

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
nancy jean said:
I understand the need to protect the dunes, but don't you think people are getting a little mean-spirited here. I don't like the thought that my guests are being threatened with being shot and/or arrested for trespassing when trying to enjoy the beaches that God made and re-made. Weren't these very gulf-front houses built on top of the dunes with little regard for protecting them? I love this area, let's protect the dunes and be NICE about it. :!:

Please don't be offended....this is just a few people letting off some nervous energy after the storm! (Guilty as charged!) There is really no way to keep people "heck" bent on getting to the beach by any means possible off the dunes...hence the frustration you read here. Most of the ideas posted were "nice"...add your own...the bottom line is to protect the natural resources!

nancy jean

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Marietta, GA
Ok, I understand the frustration and some of the messages here should not be taken seriously. Part of my problem is that I received a message from my homeowners association informing us that the gulf front homeowners in my community have contacted the Walton County officials and that "further trespassers will be arrested". I doubt that they would actually do this, but the threat is very real (probably also caused by frustration with the situation). This board has been a great source of info for me and keeps my frustration levels at a minimum during the hard times and amuses and informs during the rest of the year. Thanks for keeping it going.

frish

Beach Crab
Jul 12, 2005
WOW. This is great info. I never knew the dunes were so important. I will be sure to leave them alone and pass the word to my group when we come down to enjoy the area.

Once again, I'm glad I have access to this wonderful site. The more I read the more tempted I am to stay down there and never return home. :D

nola01

Beach Crab
Jul 11, 2005
I just returned from my first visit to the 30A area. We are refugees from Perdido Key where we've vacationed for almost 20 years. This year there were just not enough good options for renting due to the continued rebuilding going on there following Ivan.

I found this forum just prior to, and following Dennis as we obviously were concerned about our trip. The information here was invaluable to us and provided much more to enhance our vacation experience other than "did the house get washed/blown away?"

Along for the trip was a very rambunctous 5 year old boy. We spent lots of time before we left talking to him about what a dune was, not walking on the dunes, don't pick the sea oats, etc. We wanted to make sure he knew and understood not to climb on them - a very natural tendancy for this kid.

We were very successful and he was well behaved walking to and from the house at Grayton Beach (very western edge). No dune climbing. However, every day we were there, we had to explain why it was important he not climb the dunes when "that lady with the camera (his words)" was taking pictures of those "people who are grown ups and should know better (his words)" on the dunes. So sad.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
nola01 said:
I just returned from my first visit to the 30A area. We are refugees from Perdido Key where we've vacationed for almost 20 years. This year there were just not enough good options for renting due to the continued rebuilding going on there following Ivan.

I found this forum just prior to, and following Dennis as we obviously were concerned about our trip. The information here was invaluable to us and provided much more to enhance our vacation experience other than "did the house get washed/blown away?"

Along for the trip was a very rambunctous 5 year old boy. We spent lots of time before we left talking to him about what a dune was, not walking on the dunes, don't pick the sea oats, etc. We wanted to make sure he knew and understood not to climb on them - a very natural tendancy for this kid.

We were very successful and he was well behaved walking to and from the house at Grayton Beach (very western edge). No dune climbing. However, every day we were there, we had to explain why it was important he not climb the dunes when "that lady with the camera (his words)" was taking pictures of those "people who are grown ups and should know better (his words)" on the dunes. So sad.

How wonderful that you went through the trouble of explaining the significance of the dunes to your 5 year old! Wouldn't it be great if schools would teach this to children at a young age, so that they would have (and keep) an understanding and appreciation of the dunes and beaches? After all, they're our future!

Sounds like you have a smart little guy there!! :D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
luvthebeach said:
How wonderful that you went through the trouble of explaining the significance of the dunes to your 5 year old! Wouldn't it be great if schools would teach this to children at a young age, so that they would have (and keep) an understanding and appreciation of the dunes and beaches? After all, they're our future!

Sounds like you have a smart little guy there!! :D
Good parents to boot!

Too many cases at Blue Mtn this evening.
P8030025.JPG

P8030032.JPG

It took these handicappers about 10 minutes to climb up with a struggle. They could have walked less 100 meters to the west and would not have struggled. Go figure.
Donna in TX, I yelled at them for you. Your tenant just sat there, probably tired of yelling at everyone. Someone has installed a ladder at the edge of your house. I could use a new ladder if you don't mind. Just let me know.

P8030042.JPG

Last edited:

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
From what I can see on the photo, looks like they all needed a good workout. Ugh....did I say that? :D Sorry about that...just getting out my frustration. Too bad they didn't put their heads together to figure out there was an easier way up; I'm sure they have no clue what they're doing to the dunes! Wonder how many times they slid down and had to start over again? And I wonder how many more times they're going to do that during their visit?! :dunno:

Sad. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.