• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Tootsie said:
Of course this is the Redneck Riviera. and its also L.A. - or Lower Alabama. If you've traveled South Florida enough, and then return to the good old Riviera, you realize you are back in the south - which is why I live here. It's where I love to be!!!

Amen Sista! :clap_1:

WJL

Beach Comber
May 31, 2006
www.myspace.com
Basically, most redneck references are by those who think rather highly of themselves. And a redneck is anyone with less money than them-so you make yourself feel better about your own situation when you can say, "Oh my gawd, look at those awful rednecks." People usually attack others with the the flaw in themselves that they most fear being exposed. So, these people go buy a polo shirt, flip up the collar, ride by in a leased BMW and look down their noses at the "rednecks"..when in fact, they are rednecks that just bought nicer clothes, eat at 30-A and wear their beach coverups all day on the beach because they are 40 pounds overweight............usually the rednecks are the ones that own the houses and condo's that the non-rednecks rent and cannot afford to buy....pretty funny.....how bout this, enjoy the most beautiful beaches and water in the world and have fun insteads of judging people? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh make fun of the Rednecks...it'll make you feel better....:rotfl: just having fun....and I love the Redneck Riviera!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
There was a stump grinder at the end of my street today, so I guess "I might be a redneck." However, I didn't see any dancing rattails.

potatovixen

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
PCB
www.myspace.com
WJL said:
Basically, most redneck references are by those who think rather highly of themselves. And a redneck is anyone with less money than them-so you make yourself feel better about your own situation when you can say, "Oh my gawd, look at those awful rednecks." People usually attack others with the the flaw in themselves that they most fear being exposed. So, these people go buy a polo shirt, flip up the collar, ride by in a leased BMW and look down their noses at the "rednecks"..when in fact, they are rednecks that just bought nicer clothes, eat at 30-A and wear their beach coverups all day on the beach because they are 40 pounds overweight............usually the rednecks are the ones that own the houses and condo's that the non-rednecks rent and cannot afford to buy....pretty funny.....how bout this, enjoy the most beautiful beaches and water in the world and have fun insteads of judging people? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh make fun of the Rednecks...it'll make you feel better....:rotfl: just having fun....and I love the Redneck Riviera!!!

Those ones are just white trash with money. (If I may stoop so low as to quote Toby Keith.:D )

Panhandler

Beach Lover
Jun 22, 2006
In the panhandle, man...
Just my two cents - "rednecks" are often racist. Of course they wouldn't admit it publically. There are alot of closet racists in the south (and in the panhandle as well), we are only a generation or two removed from the civil rights act, some lower class white people are still bitter about it - they are the true rednecks...

Overheard in 30A Subway during the lunch rush last week:
One redneck laborer: "Can't get a sandwich without waitin' behind a van full of Goddamned Mexicans or Ni**ers..."

I don't know if you would hear a statement like that in say, the French Riviera, which might be one reason for the distinction...feel free to weigh in on that aspect...

EDIT - Rednecks also litter...

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Panhandler said:
Just my two cents - "rednecks" are often racist. Of course they wouldn't admit it publically. There are alot of closet racists in the south (and in the panhandle as well), we are only a generation or two removed from the civil rights act, some lower class white people are still bitter about it - they are the true rednecks...

One redneck laborer: "Can't get a sandwich without waitin' behind a van full of Goddamned Mexicans or Ni**ers..."

I don't know if you would here a statement like that in say, the French Riviera, which might be one reason for the distinction...feel free to weigh in on that aspect...

I agree with you Panhandler. There are 2 kinds of rednecks I guess. We call the racist ones "trash" at my house. The trash are the ones that blame their problems in life on others, usually minorities, when it is their own ignorance and apathy that has caused their problems.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Panhandler said:

I don't know if you would hear a statement like that in say, the French Riviera, which might be one reason for the distinction...feel free to weigh in on that aspect...

Racists come from all corners of the world. believe me, there is racism on the French Riviera, and the Italian Riviera and just about every riviera on the earth and in between... racists and bigots are educated, wealthy or poor, redneck or yuppie, southern or yankee. Racism does not equal redneck. It is an entirely different and unfortunate kind of human characteristic.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Tootsie said:
Racists come from all corners of the world. believe me, there is racism on the French Riviera, and the Italian Riviera and just about every riviera on the earth and in between... racists and bigots are educated, wealthy or poor, redneck or yuppie, southern or yankee. Racism does not equal redneck. It is an entirely different and unfortunate kind of human characteristic.

This is so true tootsie. As I have said before, I am a redneck and I am proud of it. I am not now, nor have I ever been a racist or a bigot. My parents did not raise me that way.

Panhandler said:

So do non-rednecks Pan....why did you have to make that statement? What purpose did it serve?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I think Panhandler means "redneck" in the form of the kind of people that I was talking about- trash people. In other parts of the country, "redneck" does not mean the same thing as it does to those of us that embrace the traditional meaning of the name. That is why I have 2 names- "redneck" for people like us :D , and trash for the kind that Panhandler is referring to...I think the "redneck" label has unfortunatley become a derogatory term in most areas of our country, conjuring up a negative image rather than the traditional.:sosad: