• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
We have lobster here. My friend's husband brings them home all the time. He says he find them in the bay as well as the jetties in Destin.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
This is from floridasportsman.com, July 2005

Shovelnose Lobster (Scyllarides nodifer)

Shovelnose lobster are found in all Florida salt waters, but the largest population may be in the Panhandle. That?s the only place in our state where shovelnose probably outnumber spinys. The species is also found in decent numbers along the northeast coast.

Shovelnose lobsters are a pretty rare catch outside the Panhandle, but I?m sure there are more than you think. They are masters of camouflage and love dark caves and the underside of ledges. They have no large antennae? sure giveaway for other lobsters?so they just sit there and look like a rock.

The meat is very sweet and tender, almost too tender and it is for that reason I try to avoid freezing them. If you are lucky enough to catch one, get that baby on a grill that night and you will thank me later.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
OnMackBayou said:
This is from floridasportsman.com, July 2005

Shovelnose Lobster (Scyllarides nodifer)

Shovelnose lobster are found in all Florida salt waters, but the largest population may be in the Panhandle. That?s the only place in our state where shovelnose probably outnumber spinys. The species is also found in decent numbers along the northeast coast.

Shovelnose lobsters are a pretty rare catch outside the Panhandle, but I?m sure there are more than you think. They are masters of camouflage and love dark caves and the underside of ledges. They have no large antennae? sure giveaway for other lobsters?so they just sit there and look like a rock.

The meat is very sweet and tender, almost too tender and it is for that reason I try to avoid freezing them. If you are lucky enough to catch one, get that baby on a grill that night and you will thank me later.

Thanks for the info - next time I am down there diving I will pay more attention, probably swam right past them - sounds delicious.