• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Does anyone know anything about a new development named Sienna Place that is supposed to be somewhere near or on Eastern Lake Road in Seagrove Beach?

Beachrunner wrote in another thread:

"I don't know who put up the sign. The sign for Sienna Place (just off 98) got put in front of property on Eastern Lake Road, and probably vice versa. A neighbor of ours who lives here full time got a certified letter notifying him of a hearing for the Eastern Lake Road development"

Any info on it would be appreciated and any info on the county meeting would help too.

Thanks.

Wetwilly :cool:

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
There are apparently two 'Sienna Place' developments proposed. One, a commercial development off Moll Drive, the other, an 8 unit condo development proposed for Hwy 30-A at Eastern Lake Road. The commercial development is pretty far along in the planning department process. I visited the planning office -- looking for documentation of the residential project --- and found all the plans for the commercial project. The 'Sienna Place' condos project proposed for 30-A is early in the process, with a public meeting scheduled for 5 :30PM August 29. As an adjacent property owner, we're of course concerned about compatability with the single family nature of the neighborhood and look forward to seeing what is proposed.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
GVM said:
There are apparently two 'Sienna Place' developments proposed. One, a commercial development off Moll Drive, the other, an 8 unit condo development proposed for Hwy 30-A at Eastern Lake Road. The commercial development is pretty far along in the planning department process. I visited the planning office -- looking for documentation of the residential project --- and found all the plans for the commercial project. The 'Sienna Place' condos project proposed for 30-A is early in the process, with a public meeting scheduled for 5 :30PM August 29. As an adjacent property owner, we're of course concerned about compatability with the single family nature of the neighborhood and look forward to seeing what is proposed.

GVM thanks for the info on the residential development. Is it being proposed for the corner of 30-A and Eastern Lake Road near or at the site of the ResortQuest office just on the south side of 30-A? Just to the west of the Heritage Dunes non rental, single family community? That would be the only place I could think would be "big enough" for an 8 unit condo building. Other than the older gulf front condos (Ramsgate, Leeward etc) the appeal of the Eastern Lake area west of the lake is that it is all single family. I'm sure the Heritage Dunes, Summers Edge folks, and others in the area may not like this new "plan"/proposed development.

Thanks again for the info and if anyone else has any additional info please post it. Does anyone have anymore info on the 8/29 meeting (location etc)?

:cool:

GVM

Beach Lover
Dec 25, 2004
The meeting will be held 8/29 at 5 :30PM at South Walton Tourist Development Center, 25777 Hwy 331 South. The property where the 8 condos are proposed is located on the south side of 30-A, about 75 feet west of Eastern Lake Road...immediately west of Kristi Lane.

Yes, we all got confused earlier about the signs since there are two Sienna Places.

The location is 10 Eastern Lake Road.

It would be in the best interest of everyone in the Eastern Lake Road area to fight this. Once the precedent is set for rezoning from Single Family Residence to NPA-Infill that allows building 8-unit condos on 1 acre, I'm afraid we'll have 50-foot tall (the maximum height limit) condos packed everywhere possible in our currently single-family residence community along Eastern Lake Road. I don't think any of us bought in this area to live in condo land and having them block our views. In addition, I think you'll agree that the beaches are already crowded enough in the Summer's Edge, etc., area without any condos adding to the density.

We're trying to contact as many homeowners as possible to oppose this development. Attend the meeting on August 29. If you can't attend, write a letter to Cindy Meadows to oppose it. I've emailed people who live in the Eastern Lake Road area and asked them to contact as many people as possible. If you're interested in keeping the integrity of the area, please do the same.

wetwilly said:
GVM thanks for the info on the residential development. Is it being proposed for the corner of 30-A and Eastern Lake Road near or at the site of the ResortQuest office just on the south side of 30-A? Just to the west of the Heritage Dunes non rental, single family community? That would be the only place I could think would be "big enough" for an 8 unit condo building. Other than the older gulf front condos (Ramsgate, Leeward etc) the appeal of the Eastern Lake area west of the lake is that it is all single family. I'm sure the Heritage Dunes, Summers Edge folks, and others in the area may not like this new "plan"/proposed development.

Thanks again for the info and if anyone else has any additional info please post it. Does anyone have anymore info on the 8/29 meeting (location etc)?

:cool:
We don't have the complete info. We were at our beach home trying to assess the damage from summer rentals (puke), so our letter is at the post office in GA.

So I'll have to go to the post office to get the exact time/place of the meeting, although I've heard it's August 29 at 5:30 at the South Walton Tourist Info Building at the intersection of 98/331.

Once you go condo, you can never go back to single family. Think about how tacky Destin is. Do you really want that for 30-A? If that's not your vision for 30-A, I'd suggest that you attend the meeting on August 29th, or write a letter to:
Cindy Meadows
90 Spires Lane, Unit 7-A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL. 32459
Phone: (850) 622-3059
Fax: (850) 622-3067
e-mail: meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

And tell your friends to participate. The more voices that we have in our favor, the more effective we'll be.

There are also a bunch of suggestions of how to fight the incursions to the current 30-A lifestyle are at http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=5791 from when we were fighting Doodle Harris's rezoning requests near Seaside. I emailed Vivian in the planning dept at shavivian@ co.walton.fl.us and asked that she distribute my email to the planning commission.

I hope you all know what a precipice this is for the future of the 30-A lifestyle as we now know it. One precedent against this lifestyle could change the future of 30-A forever. It's all in our hands, folks -- i.e., opposing those who are just in it for a return on investment, as opposed to those who love South Walton.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Even though I am not in that area, I wish I was around to petition San Remo which is a 50 ft condo in SRB. There's a small dune lake in front of it, almost like a pond. I was told by locals that that land was never supposed to be built up on. They built this hideous structure around it on the side road as well I suppose for the pond. Recently they installed one of those gates, but it flies up in the air, and it looks like disneyland.

I've walked over their boardwalk to the beach over the pond and notice crap floating in the pond, and I have seen turtles swimming in it.

I would encourage people to take action especially on such on a beautiful lake like Eastern, which is my personal favorite.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
SIENA on the Agenda AUG 22!!!

I just pulled this off Walton County website.....the Siena Place development is on the agenda for this coming Tuesday's meeting.....

AGENDA

WALTON COUNTY

BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS

August 22, 2006

The Walton County Board of Commissioners will hold their regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 beginning at 4:00 PM at the Walton County Courthouse

located at 571 US Highway 90, DeFuniak Springs, Florida.

5:30 PM Commissioner Cindy Meadows, District Five

1. Siena Place Development

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Once you go condo, you can never go back to single family. Think about how tacky Destin is. Do you really want that for 30-A? If that's not your vision for 30-A,

I hope you all know what a precipice this is for the future of the 30-A lifestyle as we now know it. One precedent against this lifestyle could change the future of 30-A forever. It's all in our hands, folks -- i.e., opposing those who are just in it for a return on investment, as opposed to those who love South Walton.

Don't be surprised if they try to fly this project under the radar as "affordable upscale workforce housing"--for Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs. :D

SHELLY said:
Don't be surprised if they try to fly this project under the radar as "affordable upscale workforce housing"--for Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs. :D
Yeah, right. Somehow I don't think that if the property was sold for $8,000,000, the 8 units will be "affordable housing" unless the owner of the property wants to sell them for a couple of hundred thousand dollars each as a community service to those who can't afford the prices on 30-A. ;-)

Thanks, pk305, for the heads up on the meeting. I knew about the August 29 meeting but not the August 22nd one.:eek: