• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

newyorker

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
We're down here since Saturday, and we're happy to report the beach is gorgeous. When it hasn't rained, the sunsets are glorious as usual, and there are many people enjoying the beach even at night (kids with flashlites running after ghost crabs--a wonderful sight.)

Beach accesses are spotty in Seagrove--we're fortunate that our complex has a completed beach access, but others next door do not yet have one. There is startling beach erosiion since last year--it looks like a huge hand came down the beach gouging out the dunes, leaving a huge wound. The pix I saw do not do it justice. Some property owners are really going to have a hard time--and I know there are no easy answers.

A question--why hasn't Seaside rebuilt anything yet? I must admit to being surprised to see a number of condo complexes with functional accesses, and even some private owners have rebuilt, and yet Seaside has none?
Another question--what is the story on the big fanciful pink house in Seagrove? It has substantial damage to its porches, and it looks like half or more of the foundation was eroded. Rumor on the beach is that it "has to be torn down." Its in an area of substantial beach erosion with a number of houses/complexes built very close to the water.

But all in all--it is still a beautiful, magical place.

RANDOM THOUGHTS REGARDING SEAGROVE DAMAGE:

It just broke my heart to see the house demolished near the 30-A/395 intersection.

I made a comment to my daughter about why so many people are walking on the bike path. Then I realized, oh yeah, it's because they have to walk some distance east/west to get to the closest beach access. Makes me sad.

On another subject, Seagrove Market Cafe was incredibly busy today with construction workers. We left because it was too crowded. The closing of Wheelhouse has really made an impact here.

The number of dump trucks with sand is amazing.

Hurricane Dennis really made an impact here.

wintersbk

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2005
TEXAS
We are staying at Seagrove Dunes (5 units) in September and are a little worried about the beach access there. Did you happen to notice if there was access close by?

Kim Smith

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
My husband talked with one of the owner's of the pink house the other day, matter of fact, she is a member of this board, and she said nothing about having to tear it down. She did tell my husband that the structural engineer said it shifted about 2 inches but that they were not going to put such elaborate porches on it next time. She was excited to hear that some sand had been put in front of the house for a little protection. Things may have changed in the past couple of days. I know he has been out of the country and is due back and heading down there.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
wintersbk said:
We are staying at Seagrove Dunes (5 units) in September and are a little worried about the beach access there. Did you happen to notice if there was access close by?

I talked to the owner of one of the Seagrove Dunes homes a few weeks after Dennis, and she said that the walkover was being repaired. It should be finished by now.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
wintersbk said:

Not repaired, nor started, nor material delivered when I looked earlier this week. Check with your management company. I know that one of them has negotiated the temporary use of a private walkover with the owner. I would expect, though, that it probably will be done by September.

RockyMtngal

Beach Crab
Aug 6, 2005
Longmont, CO
We're staying at Seagrove Dunes next week and were told by property manager yesterday that repair to stairs was started on Monday. Sounds like I'm not getting the real scoop. I asked because we wanted to get chairs from a beach service and weren't sure where to tell them to set up. So what's the closest access? :dunno:

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
RockyMtngal said:
We're staying at Seagrove Dunes next week and were told by property manager yesterday that repair to stairs was started on Monday. Sounds like I'm not getting the real scoop. I asked because we wanted to get chairs from a beach service and weren't sure where to tell them to set up. So what's the closest access? :dunno:
I checked on Seagrove dunes yesterday. Material has been delivered and work begun. Owner says completion is anticipated for this weekend.

As for the "real scoop", you were probably getting what the property manager had been told by the owner. A lot of the management companies are being overly cautious and brutally honest with prospective renters. They'd rather just refund the money up front than deal with unhappy customers and THEN refund the money.

Last edited:

RockyMtngal

Beach Crab
Aug 6, 2005
Longmont, CO
SlowMovin said:
I checked on Seagrove dunes yesterday. Material has been delivered and work begun. Owner says completion is anticipated for this weekend.

As for the "real scoop", you were probably getting what the property manager had been told by the owner. A lot of the management companies are being overly cautious and brutally honest with prospective renters. They'd rather just refund the money up front than deal with unhappy customers and THEN refund the money.

Thanks for the update. We had told the property manager that we were planning to come no matter. We don't mind walking a bit to get to the beach -- heck, we climb mountains out here for the fun of it. I think we could make a walk to beach access fit into the "just for the fun it" category too! :cool: