• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Re: Schools in South Walton?

A couple years back, there was talk about a joint Destin-SoWal high school that would be on the Okaloosa County side, but then SoWal went and built a school on its own without telling Okaloosa of the plans, one of the reasons why relations between the two districts were kind of pissy for a while.

Destin doesn't have enough school age kids right now to justify a seperate high school, and since it's essentially built out, it probably never will unless the condo developments somehow become mostly primary residences. Up until Katrina, Destin Middle had enrollment problems because Destin proper didn't have enough middle school kids, so they zoned the Bluewater Bay area as "family can pick either Ruckel Middle or Destin Middle" in order to prop up the DMS population with kids from the north side of the bridge.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach

beachmouse said:
A couple years back, there was talk about a joint Destin-SoWal high school that would be on the Okaloosa County side, but then SoWal went and built a school on its own without telling Okaloosa of the plans, one of the reasons why relations between the two districts were kind of pissy for a while.

Destin doesn't have enough school age kids right now to justify a seperate high school, and since it's essentially built out, it probably never will unless the condo developments somehow become mostly primary residences. Up until Katrina, Destin Middle had enrollment problems because Destin proper didn't have enough middle school kids, so they zoned the Bluewater Bay area as "family can pick either Ruckel Middle or Destin Middle" in order to prop up the DMS population with kids from the north side of the bridge.

:dunno: So South Walton High School magically appeared one day to the surprise of Destin and Okaloosa County, who had no idea that the school was being built? School Board meetings are open to the public and the plans for South Walton High School were certainly no secret. If Okaloosa County had been serious about building a high school in Destin, there would have been ample time to work out an agreement with Walton County even after the school voted to build the school. South Walton High School is already near capacity so if Okaloosa County built a high school in Destin, I'm sure there would be a great deal of interest in Walton County. To blame Destin's lack of a high school on Walton County seems a bit far-fetched.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL

I don't remember all the details, but it was something like the two districts had talked for a couple of years about a joint HS, and then talks broke off for a little bit, and the first that Okaloosa heard about the new high school project was when it appeared on the public school board agenda.

I'm not trying to blame Destin's lack of a high school on anyone else here, since it doesn't make sense to have one there for a relatively small student population that can't get much bigger, just trying to give a little background info on the area.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

I've heard from several locals that Niceville has the best schools around. In fact, parents actually drive an hour one way to take their kids to Niceville Highschool (it's suppose to be outstanding), and I also know of a Montessori school that friends take their children to from sowal.

We have an excellent Montessori school here as well - preschool through 6th grade. Waiting list I'm sure.

St Rita Catholic Church has started a preschool program with plans to expand to elementary. we're hoping they will go through highschool one day.

overall, however, parents are very pleased with public schools in sowal. especially Bay Elementary in Pt Washington, a small neighborhood school that offers kindergarten through primary grades with plans to expand.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Hollibird said:
I'm sorry because I realise this is aWalton County forum....but I live in destin and I REALLY don't want my 6th grader to go to Ft. Walton Beach for Highschool...too far away and I am not impressed with the performance there. Is Destin EVER going to get it's own high school? there are more and more families living here and in a few years..we will need one. At this point, I will apply to send him to a south Walton high school. I moved from Tierra Verde (St.Pete) to avoid safety problems in school (kids stealing shoes, beating uo in the bathrooms) and I am starting to worry about the safety of Ft Walton beach, especially adding the Katrina population. Any idea if destin has a plan for a high school? or is there no land left? I will move again if i have to.

I agree with Tootsie - if you live on the Okaloosa County side of the line, you might want to look into Niceville High when the time comes. We would love to have you at South Walton, but I think Niceville would be closer for you (except for that blasted toll, which is reduced if you get the SunPass).

Aug 23, 2006

Hi Dabell,....I am also from Long Island. My Daughter attended Our Lady of Mercy in Hicksville. We moved here two years ago, timed so that my Daughter could begin high school here. Our concerns about the school system in this South Walton area turned out to be of no concern at all. The schools here have been on an extreme growth schedule over the last few years with the quality improving as well. The school board is progressive and proactive, and recognizes the projected population growth in the area and is actively planning for it. The high school is rapidly becoming one of the premier schools in the system under the direction of the new Principal, Mr Ewing. My Daughter has excelled in this system and loves it here in South Walton. The permanent relocation from Long Island [after 10 years of visiting the area] has exceeded our expectations. As a former lifelong resident of Long Island, I can honestly tell you that I will not be back,......The lifestyle here, and the people who live and work here, truly make this a 'paradise'; There are way more people on Long Island, but not nearly as many 'good neighbors'. There are many thousands of people who wished they lived here,.....If you can pull it off, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity easily...... Good luck with your decisions..........

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin

My daughter is in first grade at Butler, on 30A. I am glad my wife and I decided to move here, after having looked literally all over the USA for the best place to raise a family.

What a wonderful school. There is no doubt in my mind that our daughter will look back and thank us for having chosen this place to raise her, and the schools will be a big reason why.