• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
Just my two cents - "rednecks" are often racist. Of course they wouldn't admit it publically. There are alot of closet racists in the south (and in the panhandle as well), we are only a generation or two removed from the civil rights act, some lower class white people are still bitter about it - they are the true rednecks...

Overheard in 30A Subway during the lunch rush last week:
One redneck laborer: "Can't get a sandwich without waitin' behind a van full of Goddamned Mexicans or Ni**ers..."

I don't know if you would hear a statement like that in say, the French Riviera, which might be one reason for the distinction...feel free to weigh in on that aspect...

EDIT - Rednecks also litter...

I consider myself a bit of a redneck
(hey, if the shoe fits wear it, right?)

And I do NOT litter, nor am I racist
(most people are idiots whether they are white, green, or purple.)

shell seeker

Beach Crab
Jun 10, 2006
Born and raised in Memphis and lived down the street from Graceland. Live in Memphis until about 3 years ago. Taxes and MLGW killed us, so like everyone else we headed down the Herrington highway to Olive Branch MS. Just jumped the line and never looked back. The crime was a little to much to take. We still go to the Forum to watch the Tigers and tail gate at the Stadium for Tiger football. Beal Street only in the daytime and Red Birds occasionally. But my heart belongs to the Redneck Rivera From PCB to Destin. The trailers I've seen are in Byhalia MS. down the road from Collerville. OMG the sights you see down the street from $350,000 dollar houses.:lol:

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Born and raised in Memphis and lived down the street from Graceland. Live in Memphis until about 3 years ago. Taxes and MLGW killed us, so like everyone else we headed down the Herrington highway to Olive Branch MS. Just jumped the line and never looked back. The crime was a little to much to take. We still go to the Forum to watch the Tigers and tail gate at the Stadium for Tiger football. Beal Street only in the daytime and Red Birds occasionally. But my heart belongs to the Redneck Rivera From PCB to Destin. The trailers I've seen are in Byhalia MS. down the road from Collerville. OMG the sights you see down the street from $350,000 dollar houses.:lol:

Welcome Memphis Tiger. Great to have you around. I am familiar with Olive Branch. Have passed through there many times on my way to Tunica. Post often!!!!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
DSC00427.JPG

:D

DAN1995

Beach Crab
Jul 10, 2005
:dunno: I have a question. I am a transplanted north easterner living in Destin... but still. why would anyone refer to our beautiful area as the 'redneck riviera'? Why would you want to be associated with such a derogatory name? Why would someone be proud to be considered a 'redneck'? In my hometown, that just meant you were poor, uneducated, and toothless. does it mean something else down here?
HOLLIBIRD..............NO WORRIES......ALL THE OLD HILLBILLYS HAVE SOLD OFF THIER LAND AND MOVED ON..........BIG MONEY DEVELOPERS MOVED IN 10-15 YEARS AGO AND TURNED THE "RED NECK RIVIERA"INTO A FIRST CLASS DESTINATION RESORT.PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND EUROPE OWN LAND AND VACATION IN DESTIN AND ALONG 30-A.SOME OF THE HILLBILLYS THAT STILL LIVE AND VACATION DOWN THERE HOLD ON TO THE PAST.IT USED TO BE THE CONSIDERED THE "DEEP SOUTH" YEARS AGO.NOW DAYS ALL THE HILLBILLYS ARE WORKING FOR THE DEVELOPERS THAT CAME IN FROM THE NORTH.KINDA WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE CIVIL WAR.THE NEXT TIME SOME NATIVE TELLS U "THIS HERE IS THE REDNECK RIVIERA" ASK STUPID WHO THEY WORK FOR.I CAN GUARANTEE U IT ISNT SOME NATIVE "HILLBILLY" FROM WALTON COUNTY.:D :funn: :rotfl:

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Here is something about stump grinders.

Use of Stump Grinders

Large stump grinders that are pulled behind trucks are used by many professionals for stump removal. Those machines can grind a stump quickly and efficiently and are generally safe if used correctly and carefully.

Several models of small, less expensive walk-behind stump grinders are aimed at homeowners, rental use and smaller professional operations. Most are reasonably safe if used carefully, but a few are not safe no matter how they are used.

Types of Small Stump Grinders
Most small walk-behind stump grinders have an elongated frame with wheels and an engine near the center, a handle for the operator at one end and a cutting wheel at the other end. The cutting wheel can be mounted in a horizontal or vertical orientation, but vertical is more common. The cutting wheel is usually belt-driven from the engine. A typical cutting wheel is comprised of a heavy wheel with replaceable tungsten carbide teeth that do the actual work. The cutting wheel does not saw the stump; it grinds the stump. A sharp cutting wheel will reduce a stump to chips.

How a Stump Grinder Is Used
Most stump grinders are designed to be operated in a back-and-forth mode. Moving the handle left to right moves the cutting wheel right to left. As you move the handle back and forth, the cutting wheel will move back and forth across the stump, gradually grinding it down. After each pass across the stump, you either lower the cutting wheel (by raising the handle) or move the whole machine forward an inch or so. Some machines have a brake on one wheel so the machine can more easily be pivoted about that wheel.
Attached Images

It appears that several folks on this board do not have trees in their yard. How unfortunate.