• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
St. Joe and Starbucks are requesting approval for a sign at the intersection of 30A and Watercolor Boulevard N for a sign measuring 10.83 ft by 2 ft. :eek: All of the other signs in the retail district are much, much smaller.

The Walton County Design Review Board will meet on September 7th to hear this request and three other items. Below is the public notice from Thursday's DeFuniak Herald / Beach Breeze newspaper:

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
St. Joe and Starbucks are requesting approval for a sign at the intersection of 30A and Watercolor Boulevard N for a sign measuring 10.83 ft by 2 ft. :eek: All of the other signs in the retail district are much, much smaller.

The Walton County Design Review Board will meet on September 7th to hear this request and three other items. Below is the public notice from Thursday's DeFuniak Herald / Beach Breeze newspaper:
:blink: Seems excessive!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
They already have a temporary banner over the old sign, and it is about the size of the one which they are requesting. The WC Market sign was about the same size. It will certainly stand out because most of the other signs are much smaller.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for the update. Please tell me it is not a lit sign. Where exactly is it located...on the building itself?

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
Thanks for the update. Please tell me it is not a lit sign. Where exactly is it located...on the building itself?

All I know is what was in the paper. And, with as many different ownership / management entities in the town center, I can only wish you the best of luck in getting an answer from St. Joe. Perhaps the Planning Commission can provide more details, or at least connect you with the Walton County Design Review Board?

The sign promoting the Watercolor Market was designed for that space; its shape follows the arch of the columns, etc. Personally, I think that the proposed sign will be in line with the Starbuck's international image and will set a precedent for more homogeneity and less independence along 30-A.

lurker1

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
SoWal
As fast food companies go, Starbucks is one of the best regarding providing health insurance to workers, etc. They do seem to be socially responsible, compared to most other large chains.

However, chain restaurants on 30A just don't seem to fit (my ideal anyway). You know how every place in the USA now looks pretty much the same? Every place has the identical stores; McD's, Wendy's, KFC, GAP, etc. I prefer independent retail/restaurants as they help define our area as unique. Is our little SoWal turning into a McSoWal?

So I 'welcome" another chain with mixed emotions.

danhall

Beach Lover
Jul 14, 2006
danhallstudio.com
it makes me sad to see the Starsucks going in there, especially when Ceruleans has coffee and a unique ambience. There's already one in Grayton, and now one two miles down the road at WaterColor. You may think it will stop there, but I'd be willing to bet against you. I see it as nothing more than corporate sprawl and a cancer.

OBEY

story.jpg