• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JB said:
Cool site, Kurt. Thanks for the link.

FINALLY, an intelligent approach. Maybe the county is growing some smarts after all. But I don't see any way they can fund this project without a tax increase.
I don't think the County is purchasing this system.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Smiling JOe said:
I don't think the County is purchasing this system.

Of course not. It makes too much sense. They'll just continue the ol' band aid-on-a-gunshot-wound approach. Maybe when waves are breaking over 30-A during the next storm, they may try a more well thought-out approach.

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH
stuff does look pretty well thought out. wondering though, about this:
"S.D.R.S tm can be engineered to any height but is always graded at a patented 3 to 1 angle for maximal wave protection."
i knew the patent system was getting pretty screwy lately, but can one actually patent a 3 to one angle :D

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Any idea on cost? I would think the larger developments would look at this very seriously after the monies spent after Ivan. Anyone out there hear if WaterColor is considering this? Who at Arvida/St. Joe would be in charge of this? If I don't hear anything back, I will make some calls later.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
OhioBeachBum said:
stuff does look pretty well thought out. wondering though, about this:
"S.D.R.S tm can be engineered to any height but is always graded at a patented 3 to 1 angle for maximal wave protection."
i knew the patent system was getting pretty screwy lately, but can one actually patent a 3 to one angle :D
Did not read the whole link yet, but your quote sounds like they had an interpreter write the copy.

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
I have no real knowledge of this system and therefore have no opinion for or against it. I am happy new potential solutions are being looked at by the county and local residents. I do know that both the DEP and U.S Fish and Wildlife say the systems do not work. The county asked the DEP about using it and were told no.

keysnative

Beach Crab
Aug 5, 2005
Hi Donna...you sound very informed so I will ask you. Do you get the minutes from the county's website or are they mailed directly to you?
For anyone....in the issue of Walton County This Month, many of us have never heard of Ms. Shamel, Ms. Sokoloff and Ms. Lois La Seur-planning manager. Has there been even more employee turnover at the County?
There are so many people talking about the state of our beaches, the sometimes odd positions held by the county officials, staff and interest groups, high employee turnover and no affordable housing for area employees. Cannot help but to be embarassed about the negatives, just curious to see if anyone else feels the same. Don't get me wrong, there is no better scenery or people in SoWal.

Status
Not open for further replies.