• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
We went to Southern Cafe in Seaside last week and really enjoyed it (90% of our food was excellent as was the service). So, maybe it takes a while for a restaurant (any business) to get up to speed and to become consistent. It's still to soon to tell for Southern Cafe, but if you have some $ to spend (it's expensive) it's worth trying. We had an appetizer with a fried shell filled with southern greens and some cheese with a horseradish sauce and a fruit (mango?) salsa. It was beautifully displayed on the plate and was excellent, though we wish we had more horseradish sauce and we asked for more salsa.

We also had a grouper sandwich that came with a salad, also excellent.

the kids meal was a hamburger, great french fries and the meat was very good. A good price for a kids meal.

The fried green tomatoes were excellent.

We sent back the fried calamari because we couldn't taste the calamari because the breading was too thick. The waitress said the chef (wisely) agreed with us and realized the cooks were using too much breading. They were appropriately apologetic.

The server was very kind (a young woman who was here on an exchange program) and competent. The service was slow (you don't want to be in a hurry when you're there, and we weren't in a hurry because we were on vacation at the beach) but that wasn't her fault. Could be that the food is cooked fresh and that takes a while.

The food is presented in an innovative way -- pretty to look at. The bathrooms are very nice and the general decor is clean and sparce.

In short, I'd go again when I want a good, well-presented, somewhat pricy meal (and I wouldn't hesitate to send back something that wasn't cooked right for the price).

I recommend trying it for something different.

Last edited:

hutch

Beach Lover
Paula;

I hope you are right. I believe the same people that run the Old Fish House in Pensacola which is excellent run the Southern Cafe.

We went with a party of four on the 4th and the crab cakes were horrible.
The service was bad. We have not been back. The manager ran all of the parents and kids out of the restroom area that were using it during the 4th concert. It kind of piss me off so I said something to the manager about it.
Some of these people just spent $$$ in his cafe and now they were being told the kids could not use the restrooms. Give me a break! Maybe, they were having startup problems. Hope they do better. But, I will not be back.
Bring Shades back.

the hutch

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Hutch: I hope I'm right, too. It's very important for any business to show consistency in quality. It's Ok if once in a while something isn't right (e.g., the calamari) because nothing and no one is perfect all the time, but they should kindly apologize and (even better) make it up to the people in some way (e.g., an extra appetizer, dessert, etc.). People remember such kindnesses and sometimes a mistake can actually build customer loyalty moreso than a good and uneventful meal because that's a test of a business's commitment to quality and to their customers. As for not letting people use the restroom, especially people who just ate there, that's not good citizenship (unless the people were loud or rude or holding up other customers in some way). For now, I'll consider your situation part of the restaurant's learning curve and I'll go back a few more times to see how the food and service is, wishing them the best. I come from a family of small business owners so I do what I can to support small businesses (when deserved, of course).

Last edited:

hutch

Beach Lover
Well said Paula. I own two small successfully business for over 23 years and we are not perfect, but all my employees are trained to do what ever it takes to assist and help our customers. In our type of business we have to deal with rude people everyday, just the type of business we are in, a degree in psychology helps, but most of it is good old common sense, treat people the way you want to be treated. I was just pissed cause I have a weakness for little kids and animals. And they were not busy. You are absolute correct in your statement. We will give them another chance.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
And I hope someone from Southern Cafe is reading this thread. Friendly, welcoming, and efficient service; making up for the inevitable infrequent mistake (especially by giving an extra appetizer or some treat if there's a problem, especially since the prices are relatively high and people should expect high quality -- doing so says "we really care and stand by our quality"), and food fconsistently as good and as beautiful as it was when we were there last week would certainly create great word-of-mouth marketing!

Seagrovedude

Beach Lover
May 30, 2006
Not that there is anything wrong with Robert Davis...but I don't think I would get in to bed with him.

muy bueno

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2006
I had a liquid lunch there last week and it was so delicious.