• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
Re: Prominence

I can't believe the developer performed any market research before selecting that name. Any 3 people at a cocktail party could have advised against that name. I thought I was the only one who hated "Prominence" until I read this strand. Probably the cheesiest name I've heard, and I live in Atlanta where cheesy subdivision names are the norm.

On the flip side, I think JOE does a good job of name selection... WaterColor, WaterSound, Windmark, SummerCamp, RiverCamp ... none of those is offensive to my ear. I think Rummell calls it "place making".

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004

gardening1970 said:
I can't believe the developer performed any market research before selecting that name. Any 3 people at a cocktail party could have advised against that name. I thought I was the only one who hated "Prominence" until I read this strand. Probably the cheesiest name I've heard, and I live in Atlanta where cheesy subdivision names are the norm.

On the flip side, I think JOE does a good job of name selection... WaterColor, WaterSound, Windmark, SummerCamp, RiverCamp ... none of those is offensive to my ear. I think Rummell calls it "place making".
It is not the name which I dislike. ;-)

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005

gardening1970 said:

I agree. In my mind, "prominent" (close enough!) is always linked with "chin" or even worse, "nose." Plus I don't care for the way they've clear cut that land, another no-no in my book. Lazy lazy lazy way of developing a property.

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006

Didn't you guys hear? Developers don't invest money unless they are sure they will make money. :rotfl: Just ask. And the bank will just pull out midstream regardless of any commitments they may have made. :roll:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

kurt said:
I think "Chateau De Paris" is an appropriate name for a SoWal subdivision. :lol:

Ah...gay Paree in SoWal! This is one of my favorites as well. So beachy! :D

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La

Yes, I saw this on the East end of 30-A, what is up with that???-w
kurt said:
I think "Chateau De Paris" is an appropriate name for a SoWal subdivision. :lol:

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005

Here's a recent article about Prominence that was in the Pamama City News Herard. The County says half of the 60 acres of sand pine scrub habitat on the property must be protected. Per the article, the project is only 79.2 acres. The developer says if they have to preserve the habitat it would be "impossible to do the development as proposed".

Panama City News Herald
TITLE:Walton developer?s Prominence still in doubt
PUBDATE:August 28, 2006

Work on the first phase of Prominence, a mixed-use development on 79.2 acres off County 30A, is in full swing.

But whether work on the project?s next phases will move forward remains to be seen, as the developer hashes out details with Walton County?s planning staff.

Prominence is located on property along County 30A near Watersound Beach. The phase under construction south of County 30A will include 25 homes, 23 row houses and a harbor.

The developer, Destin-based Deer Lake Development, wants the county to approve an application for a Development of Regional Impact for the remaining phases of the project. All large-scale developments such as Prominence must have DRI approval from the county before substantial construction can take place.

But Deer Lake Development is at odds with the county over whether sand pine scrub habitat on the property must be protected, said Brian Martinez, the county planner assigned to the Prominence DRI. The developer also is challenging the county?s assertion that the project must have a 20-foot vegetative buffer along County 30A, Martinez said.

The county says that an estimated 60 acres of the Prominence property is sand pine scrub habitat and at least half of those 60 acres must be preserved, Martinez said. ?We identify the site as sand pine scrub,? he said.

The developer disagrees, in part because it claims that the habitat is former timberland and therefore not a natural habitat in need of preservation, Martinez said.

The county approved an environmental management plan for the first phase of Prominence. The developer also contends that the approval exempts the project from the preservation requirements for the rest of the property, Martinez said.

If Deer Lake Development ends up having to preserve the habitat, it would be ?impossible to do the development as proposed,? Martinez said.

Prominence is slated to go to the county Planning Commission on Sept. 14. The commission already has delayed the issue twice because of issues with the DRI application.

After the Planning Commission hears the project, it will go to the County Commission for consideration.

Craig Thurmond, town planner on the project, is designing Prominence to be reminiscent of a small New England town. Plans for the project call for 650 residences, 12 bed-and-breakfast units, 120 hotel rooms, 200,000 square feet of office and commercial space, and a 13,000-square-foot civic building.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005

"Craig Thurmond, town planner on the project, is designing Prominence to be reminiscent of a small New England town. Plans for the project call for 650 residences, 12 bed-and-breakfast units, 120 hotel rooms, 200,000 square feet of office and commercial space, and a 13,000-square-foot civic building....and the world's largest Whammo Slip n' Slide."