• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Pre-Ivan (2002), Sans Souci Condos in Pensacola had severe erosion problems for many, many years (the Gulf had already taken away their decking, tennis court and was working on their parking lot). The residents paid a company to put these type of Protec-tubes in the water near their condo. Everything was rosy for a little while until a minimal Tropical Storm hit. The contractors were caught out in the middle of the storm tossing asphalt pieces from the broken parking lot into the Gulf to shore-up the broken tubes. They were stopped by the law and had to remove the asphalt and the tattered remains of their tubes from the Gulf. (Lesson: Man is NO match for the power of Mother Nature.)

http://www.floridacapitalnews.com/erosion/stories/risky3.htm

Last edited:

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
just the tubes is half a system - they cant handle waves, and we all know what half a system means in one way or another - 'dem semiholes shore doo'

picture pretty much sez it all - too little too late with too little to work with

stuff left out overnight again about to get washed away <assuming low tide since why bother scraping to hugh tide> - just another junkyard beach nowadays - just makes me sick to see it :bang:

I've been offered a full time position with a major aquaculture player - freshwater, just a little farther from panhandle and scary dam good money - thanks SoWal message board! you never know who's reading your posts.

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
Attached is a report the DEP contracted on the protect tube in Gulf County.

Notes:
Protect tubes are designed for 5 to 10 year storms not hurricanes

At the site in Gulf County, erosion was about the same as adjacent unprotected properties.

At the site, after hurricane Ivan flanks were installed on either end and
they resulted in additional erosion

At the site, erosion was induced landward of the structure (lee side) and
a trench under the homes was created. Since this report was filed a retaining wall has been constructed landward of the protect tube.

Last edited:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
marinebiology451 said:
I've been offered a full time position with a major aquaculture player - freshwater, just a little farther from panhandle and scary dam good money - thanks SoWal message board! you never know who's reading your posts.

:cool: Very interesting!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
marinebiology451 said:
just the tubes is half a system - they cant handle waves, and we all know what half a system means in one way or another - 'dem semiholes shore doo'

picture pretty much sez it all - too little too late with too little to work with

stuff left out overnight again about to get washed away <assuming low tide since why bother scraping to hugh tide> - just another junkyard beach nowadays - just makes me sick to see it :bang:

Congratulations, marinebiology451. Keep SoWal in mind as you learn new stuff that's good for the beaches!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Fanceenan said:
I agree with ShallowsNole and Sarawind! I am a gulf front owner at Blue Mtn Beach. We bought our place 20 years ago and did not dream it could fall into the ocean! We had probably 40 feet or so of sanddunes in front of us. I am a retired teacher and my husband is a state employee. We are not rich. I am pleased they have increased quality of the sand at BMB and elsewhere, but you folks really do offend me with your " they got what they deserved attitude". We followed the rules at the time. We did not build illegally; we have worked hard to keep our place. All the other hurricanes, including Opal, did not affect us like this one has! Remember, not all gulf front owners are millionaires! I want a beautiful beach too. Isn't there some way to improve the beaches and NOT have us fall into the ocean! I really enjoy reading and keeping up with the news on this site! This time is difficult enough for us, without having people gloating and saying we got what we deserved! We did not deserve this!!!
You are "rich". Your property is worth seven figures. At least until the next storm hits. I would, if I were you, be thinking about the powerful lesson mother nature has taught. The beach cannot be "improved". Anything done to forestall nature can be undone in less than a day. If your home is "marketable", I would be weighing options. Being offended doesn't help your situation. Ultimately, if your home is gulf front, your real address is Las Vegas, because to stay is to gamble that you may be unlucky and lose a very valuable asset. If it were me , I would make lemonade and sell. This is going to be tough for you. I wish you luck either way.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
sarawind said:
Time to use good common sense like the county did after Hurricane Opal. The method used then saved this beach for nearly 10 years. This is my personal experience on how the 'governnment' in South Walton works. A few days ago, I went to the annex to get a permit to repair our beach walkover. The first person had no idea what I wanted and sent me to person 2. Person 2 said, 'Oh, I''ve been here 3 months and don't know anything about permits. Person 3 got all excited and exclaimed, 'oh, I don't do hurricanes'. Person 4 told me he had only been on the job one day and as he came from the east coast he had no idea how to help me. Person 5 sent me to the tax collector who sent me to person 6 who told me to go to person 7 and get a copy of my deed. I still don't have a permit. I'm on a quest now.
What saved the beach after Opal was that there were no more powerful storms until this past year.

sarawind

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
30A
Bob said:
What saved the beach after Opal was that there were no more powerful storms until this past year.
It's good to have people like you. Thank you for you insightful and intelligent opinions.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Let me see. House on large lot on the Bay, five minutes to Grayton ... $1.5 Million. House falling into the Gulf at the arrival of next storm, maybe $3.8 M today, or maybe $1 M two months from now. Hmmm?

So you mean I could have a nice house on a large lot on the Bay which doesn't need to be painted every two years, and pocket a couple Mill? :blink: :shock: Surely you are not suggesting that I could rent a Gulf-front beach house for a month or two or three every year with the extra cash if I really missed living on the Gulf? Are you out of your mind? I really want to own Gulf-front.

Last edited:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
sarawind said:
It's good to have people like you. Thank you for you insightful and intelligent opinions.
Thank you, hardship brings the best out of most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.