• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
It was lurking in mid September last year. Could not hardly stay on the beach due to runny, itchy eyes and cough.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Is there a time of year (season, month) in which red tide is more common?

Good question! Paula, I experienced red tide for the first time last October.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I haven't experiened it yet, but I haven't spent time in SoWal in September, though this year I hope to go early in October. We've never had a problem in August and this year was our fourth trip in August (when I would think water is warmest, so maybe it takes time for red tide to build up). Hmmm... sounds like I should google 'red tide Florida panhandle' and learn something new.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Like I said originally my buddy works out everyday at the beach and swears it was here (mild). He had all the symptoms in the am at the beach when he would work out. I noticed some burning in my eyes playing in the h2o but just thought is was the salt. Looking back it was stronger then normal. This is just odd that nothing has been reported about :dunno: this lady.

TNJed

Beach Fanatic
Sep 4, 2006
Seagrove Beach, FL
I work on the beach in Seagrove and myself as well as other co-workers all have allergy-like symptoms which began a few days ago. Sinus trouble, scratchy throat, and a general weak feeling. The only member of our crew who isn't sick was off Friday and Saturday. I'll give him a few days to catch up. ;-)

I don't recognize any of the Red Tide tell-tale signs, but something is certainly going around.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yesterday was the first day I had been in the Gulf for a couple of weeks. After dunking my head underwater, I noticed that my eyes were burning a bit more than normal when wetting with salt water. It is that same feeling, but very mild, of Red Tide. The wind was blowing fairly strong from the south, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms like shortness of breath and burning eyes, after the water dried from my eyes. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it if it weren't from reading this thread.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has reports on Red Tide.
Apparently they have volunteers take samples I think weekly and mail them in. They are tested for toxins.
They did report red tide in Pensacola, but when I looked last they did not say anything about our area.

http://www.floridamarine.org/features/view_article.asp?id=9670#Stat

You can sign up for e-mail alerts too.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Okaloosa & Walton counties never report anything unless there are hundreds of dead fish lying all over the beach. Too scared that the tourist will stay away.

HUGE pet peeve of mine since I have asthma.