• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

billyjoe

Beach Crab
Sep 4, 2006
When coming to the area over the last few years, I have been looking at real estate but figured it was just way too expensive to buy in the area. Last time we came down it seemed some prices were way down from a year or so ago but others were sky high. Is anything selling? There was also a lot of inventory on the market. Am I correct? Are prices falling? Is now a good time to buy or would it be a good idea to wait. Any good sources of information to research price trends?

bdc63

Beach Fanatic
Jun 12, 2006
Md for now, but dreaming of SoWal
When coming to the area over the last few years, I have been looking at real estate but figured it was just way too expensive to buy in the area. Last time we came down it seemed some prices were way down from a year or so ago but others were sky high. Is anything selling? There was also a lot of inventory on the market. Am I correct? Are prices falling? Is now a good time to buy or would it be a good idea to wait. Any good sources of information to research price trends?

Welcome. You might want to start by perusing the other threads here in the Real Estate section. Smiling JOe posts some really good info each month on previous month sales.

Then, sharpen your #2 pencil and take a seat … Professor Shelly will be in any moment.

Last edited:

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005
Welcome. You might want to start by perusing the other threads here in the Real Estate section. Smiling JOe posts some really good info each month on previous month sales.

Then, sharpen your #2 pencil and take a seat ? Professor Shelly will be in any moment.

:clap_1: :clap_1: :rotfl:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
:welcome: billyjoe:

I saw a very good seemingly well-balanced article about second home ownership in the recent issue of Money Magazine this past weekend. I recommend that you look at that (I couldn't find it online but if I could I would put up the link). And then figure out how to get some good information about the SoWal market and talk to your accountant. Also, factor in taxes, insurance, etc., because they are expensive and the more expensive the house, the higher they will be.

We love our places (we bought two smaller cottages rather than one bigger one) and being able to come to our second home in SoWal when we want to (which is never often enough). When I'm working away or otherwise stressed in Michigan, I can think of the beach across the street and quickly calm down and get perspective.

We rent them out when we're not here, though you can't count on rentals as a significant source of income (even though the rentals certainly help, they aren't dependable given possible hurricanes, economic trends, overbuilding in the area for now, etc.). We bought (when the prices were lower) for the long-term, as places to enjoy and as reasonable investments over the long-term. So, short term economic cycles don't worry us. We're not in Grayton Beach, though, so others who are have a better sense of that beach (we're in the Seacrest Beach area).

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I'm no expert, but you will probably be hearing from them soon. In my opinion the Grayton Beach market is too small for much meaningful analysis, as there have been few transactions this year. The south Walton market, particularly along Hwy30-A, is what to look at. This includes Grayton and the other "villages" along the beach.

Try this link for one analysis.

http://www.davisprop.com/newsinfo.asp?id=1001

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth: Lots of stuff for sale. Probably a good time to buy if you are an end-user, not a flipper/investor, and have a three-plus year minimum time frame before selling.

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
I'm no expert, but you will probably be hearing from them soon. In my opinion the Grayton Beach market is too small for much meaningful analysis, as there have been few transactions this year. The south Walton market, particularly along Hwy30-A, is what to look at. This includes Grayton and the other "villages" along the beach.

Try this link for one analysis.

http://www.davisprop.com/newsinfo.asp?id=1001

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth: Lots of stuff for sale. Probably a good time to buy if you are an end-user, not a flipper/investor, and have a three-plus year minimum time frame before selling.

That is some scary data from your link... I have a question for you though...

You mention that if you are an end-user you would go ahead and buy, but if you are a flipper/investor... you should wait...

How do you come to this logic that a end user should sign up to lose money, but yet a flipper/investor should stay away... Shouldn't they both stay away from buying in that time frame if the current rental rates are 50% if not less of the cost of ownership at todays rates???

I just don't get the logic of telling an end user he should sign up today when all market indications point to a major correction of prices over the next few years...

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I don't think anyone will lose money in a three or more year time frame, if they purchase today at a fair price. (Crikey, is that a topic...). This is a desireable area and will remain so. The white sand and clear water that we have here is found from about Orange Beach (on a good day) to Tyndal AFB. So, it's a limited supply. Additionally, over 40% of land in SoWal is state-owned or otherwise public land. Again, ultimately limiting supply. Yes, we have tons of inventory to choose from and lots of bargaining room. Is this the very bottom? Who knows? Market timing, both in real estate and financial markets, is difficult at best.

So I don't think it's a bad time to "buy and hold", assuming minimal leverage. Where else does one put cash these days?

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
That is some scary data from your link... I have a question for you though...

You mention that if you are an end-user you would go ahead and buy, but if you are a flipper/investor... you should wait...

How do you come to this logic that a end user should sign up to lose money, but yet a flipper/investor should stay away... Shouldn't they both stay away from buying in that time frame if the current rental rates are 50% if not less of the cost of ownership at todays rates???

I just don't get the logic of telling an end user he should sign up today when all market indications point to a major correction of prices over the next few years...

I believe what he/she is saying is an end user in all probability will keep the property as a long term investment vs a flipper wishing to resell quickly, which we all know isn't going to happen in this market in the "immediate" future. There are buyers desiring a second home because they LOVE SoWalton and are in a situation to buy now rather than the next few years. I also believe our market will readjust much sooner than in a few years.

destinsm

Beach Lover
May 23, 2006
From the Davis Properties link above... Market Data...

SFR
48 Months Supply

Res. Land
63.5 Months Supply

Condos
52.5 Months Supply

TH
25 Months Supply

All residential property on market compared to current month sales rate gives a whooping (using June data).... 51 months supply...

How can this not end ugly???

Last edited: