• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
ok - i want to follow the rules when i come down and thought i always had.
but this thread leads me to believe that i may have been breaking the rule.
so, please clarify for me. i thought "stay off the dunes" meant not to climb/walk/sit directly on them. I assumed you could walk "by" them. For instance, that area between Grayton and Gulf Trace....i have often walked to the beach from Grayton, "through" that dune area. i was always carefule not to walk ON a dune though, i walked on the flat part beside the dune. is that a violation too? i realize that right now it may be more important to not walk in that area, but i just want to know exactly what is meant by keeping off the dunes? :dunno:

thanks
reece

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
reece said:
so, please clarify for me. i thought "stay off the dunes" meant not to climb/walk/sit directly on them. I assumed you could walk "by" them. For instance, that area between Grayton and Gulf Trace....i have often walked to the beach from Grayton, "through" that dune area. i was always carefule not to walk ON a dune though, i walked on the flat part beside the dune. is that a violation too? i realize that right now it may be more important to not walk in that area, but i just want to know exactly what is meant by keeping off the dunes? :dunno:

thanks
reece

What was once a dune now is a path. That trail at the end of Pine Street has traditionally been used for foot traffic, although there is a sign that says keep off the dunes, people don't think the path is a dune. It's a dune preserve and any traffic is prohibited. Last year the State Park said "no more" and rental owners were upset. Then calmed down when they realized everyone could just ignore the rule and continue as they'd always done without consequence.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
reece said:

thanks
reece

P7100042_942175.JPG

I believe this is your point of entry. I know it is difficult to read the signs in the photo. One next to the well worn footpath states Do not walk on dunes. :bang: The other one beside the tire tracks states No vehicles allowed :bang:. My question to you is, are you following the dumb masses, or thinking for yourself?

Oh, they placed the signs here to try to prevent people from walking on the dunes. I do not observe a sign that says Beach this way, or Public Access. So, I will find another point of entry. Obviously, if they went to the effort to post signs, there must be a reason behind it, which I will investigate. Oh, nevermind. I am on vacation.
:bang::bang::bang:

Sorry for all the b_tching. We are coming to the end of another season where so many people leaving poop behind. It is very frustrating. I think if we all quit our jobs for the busy season and focused on tourists education, we would never get the job done. You will never see me with the razor wire, BB gun, or pooping in the tents. Writing it is just a way in which I release some of my frustrations. Thank you for actually trying to give a hoot. I understand the confusion of the well worn path next to the signs saying keep out. Just remember to think for your own and ignore the dumb masses, and you will be a superstar.

IMG_0170.JPG

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
kurt said:
What was once a dune now is a path. That trail at the end of Pine Street has traditionally been used for foot traffic, although there is a sign that says keep off the dunes, people don't think the path is a dune. It's a dune preserve and any traffic is prohibited. Last year the State Park said "no more" and rental owners were upset. Then calmed down when they realized everyone could just ignore the rule and continue as they'd always done without consequence.

You would think the owners would be the very ones wanting to protect the dunes which protect their property. I guess they would rather buy inflatable dunes after their homes are destroyed instead.

graytonrbust

Beach Lover
Nov 15, 2004
Wellington, AL
When I was a kid (60's) the dunes were so large that it was impossible to mistake if it was a dune or not....Now its hard to even see a dune in a photo.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
graytonrbust said:
When I was a kid (60's) the dunes were so large that it was impossible to mistake if it was a dune or not....Now its hard to even see a dune in a photo.

At the Beach, I guess a sign stating keep off the sand would not work, eh?

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
You will never see me with the razor wire, BB gun, or pooping in the tents. Writing it is just a way in which I release some of my frustrations. Thank you for actually trying to give a hoot. I understand the confusion of the well worn path next to the signs saying keep out. Just remember to think for your own and ignore the dumb masses, and you will be a superstar.

We will surely try. When in doubt....we won't go there. SJ-release away...you're right...some people are very hard headed and need a wake up call. Me, of course, being a sensitive, follow the rules type, gets it the first time. We will be there Saturday. :D

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
SJ- thanks for flaming me. i was asking an honest question. I love to SEE the huge sand dunes, and would not intentionally do anything to harm them. no, i am not just following the masses, i am thinking for myself, thank you.

i honestly thought that STAY OFF THE DUNES meant not to walk on the "dune" itself. i thought you could walk between them. I still thought i was doing the right thing by not walking ON the ACTUAL Dune.
THAT IS WHY I WAS ASKING!!! because i realized through reading this thread that i might be wrong. :eek:
maybe the sign should say DUNE PRESERVE AREA -STAY OUT.