• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
ECMS has been wonderful. We are in our 2nd year there and my daughter comes out happy everyday- how many people can say that in MIDDLE school!!! The teachers seem to actually like what they are doing- it makes such a difference!

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Children at Seaside Neighborhood School all are required to take Spanish for the 3 years they are there. I don't know what the high school offers.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
Glad to see this thread get revived!

Jdarg, ECMS is a great school and I'm sure your son will enjoy it. I can't wait to have you as a volunteer either! We've got lots of different things going on and planned for this coming year, some fund-raising (Sally Foster gift wrap sales), some fun(n) (Bridge Tournaments and lessons), and others just downright helping out (School Dances). I'm sorry I wasn't there last Friday when you stopped by - I would have loved meeting you!

Indigo Jill, the electives at ECMS vary each year depending upon the teachers and their interests and specialties. Currently, the electives are Spanish, German, extra P.E., Dance, Art, Chorus, Band, Technology and Journalism. French is not one of the electives this year. Students who score poorly on the FCATs are required to take extra English or Math for their elective.

Jdarg, no, the high school does not offer latin. They don't have a teacher for it. I asked when enrolling my 9th grader this year. I wish they did (although I am sure Jack is glad they don't!)

Beachmom, do we know each other? Our children probably are in some classes together!

For all of you ECMS parents out there, if you're not on my e-mail list, PM me with your info and I'll put you on. I hold the list very close - you will not get any spam. (If you did not receive an e-mail earlier this week about the next 2 PTO meetings, you are not on the current list)

Sunshine, aka Garner Chandler, aka ECMS PTO President

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
Yes!! Didn't know that was you- I'm Hannah C.'s mom. Wish I could do more at the school- tried to help out with the art program, but was not very successful:dunno:

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
Hi Beachmom,
I think you were successful in helping out with the art program - it is one of the most popular electives this year! :clap_1:

Perhaps next summer we can get the art camp organized.

Thanks and get on the e-mail list so that I can keep you posted of the PTO's activities -

howlin'enterpri

Beach Comber
Aug 16, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I have a daughter that is a junior at South Walton High School. We transferred from the north end of the county to the south end about 2 weeks before she was scheduled to start high school. The staff and administrators have been very encouraging and helpful where my daughter is concerned. She has been in gifted classes in the state of Missouri all her life. When she moved to Florida, she attended Walton Middle School. I was concerned with that school because noone seemed to take notice of her gifted talents that was listed on her transcripts.....needless to say, after some researching of schools and school grades, etc....we transferred her to SWHS...it has been a great experience.....she is continuing on with success in her academics. The administrators, Mr. Hope in particular, take a special interest in helping to make sure she is taking the appropriate classes to keep her challenged.....She is currently in the top 5% of her class and is prepping for her SAT's...she has taken both dual enrollment classes, and honors classes, and all the teachers, counselors, administrators take an interest in her academics and her other activities (which include student council, and assortment of service clubs, athletics, and academic clubs)...needless to say, I can not say enough positive things for the South Walton High School.

Just sign me a proud parent!!

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
:clap_1: That's great to hear, when we first moved here, the things I had heard about SWHS were not that great, however, over the past
year or so things seem to have really turned around. I am hearing more and more good things- Glad to hear it's worked out so well for your family.

amw

Beach Comber
Jun 12, 2007
Any thoughts on the Elementary Schools in SoWal? Butler is clearly much bigger than Bay. What are the pros and cons?

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Any thoughts on the Elementary Schools in SoWal? Butler is clearly much bigger than Bay. What are the pros and cons?

My children attend Bay and we LOVE it. Our eldest two also attened Butler for the early grades (2001-2004). The only problem that I had with Butler is the distance from our house. At the time, it was the only elementary school, and we live on the east end of 30-A. As for Butler at the current time, I'm not so familiar with it now.

Bay is great. We love going to a small school. The teachers are happy and the support staff is great--they know most of the kids and families by name. The only problem that we did have was no indoor P.E. facilities, but that is being solved by the gym that is currently under construction (progress is VERY slow though).

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
My children attend Bay and we LOVE it. Our eldest two also attened Butler for the early grades (2001-2004). The only problem that I had with Butler is the distance from our house. At the time, it was the only elementary school, and we live on the east end of 30-A. As for Butler at the current time, I'm not so familiar with it now.

Bay is great. We love going to a small school. The teachers are happy and the support staff is great--they know most of the kids and families by name. The only problem that we did have was no indoor P.E. facilities, but that is being solved by the gym that is currently under construction (progress is VERY slow though).

Ditto on Bay!! We love it too. It is such a warm school.