• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
There are sharks a lot bigger than that out there! Lucky for us the Destin Shark Fishing Rodeo has returned to help keep the population in check. Now, if they would only clean the sharks and donate the fillets to local food banks. Shark makes a great substitute for hamburger meat in both lasagne and spagetti. Shark fins are highly valuable in the fish market, especially overseas, however that is no reason not to use the entire animal. Shark skin is a great material for belts,boots,wallets etc........... and in my opinion quite stylish. Waste Not Want Not. It is reprehensible to kill any animal for the sake of killing. I however, do support the fisherman who make use of their catch. Most want to keep the population going, after all that is their livelihood.

Last edited:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I just have to ask this. When someone catches a shark like this what do they do with it? Do they eat it? Or do they just catch it to get the teeth to mount? I realize that sharks are scarey creatures, and they do sometimes attack. But just to kill one for no reason? It breaks my heart. I could not make it through the video because I was crying seeing that poor shark hanging their for all to gauk at. Call me a softy, but I just figure that shark was out there doing what it does. Eating to live in the ocean that belongs to him, not causing any harm to any person. Of course, I would feel different if he was attacking someone and then he was killed. I just do not see the sense in killing it just to show it off.
I agree with you and it appears there are other "softies" as well. Be careful, we'll be accused of being "bleeding hearts!" ;-)

laurawood

Beach Lover
Jul 15, 2006
I dont think so. It is just common sense. Not senseless killing. There is a use for the product of glory fishing. It just has to be realized.

TripleB

Beach Fanatic
Jul 15, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I agree with you and it appears there are other "softies" as well. Be careful, we'll be accused of being "bleeding hearts!" ;-)
Somewhere, there is a tree that needs to be hugged.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I recall seeing a documentary film on sharks in Hawaii, in which it was determined that the fish population had diminished greatly after people began killing the Great White Sharks. The reason was thought to be due to the small sharks being allowed to grow greatly in population and they were eating all the fish. They stopped killing the Great Whites, which fed on the smaller sharks, and the fish population came back.

It seems that human interferance with nature has a negative affect.

-- All things in moderation.

flowergirl40pc

Beach Fanatic
Jul 19, 2006
Panama City Beach
Anyone who has ever fished off the PCB pier and saw the amount of sharks (good size ones), and how close to the shore they are, would probably never go swimming in the Gulf again if they were a tourist.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The Destin Log had a photo of a Tiger Shark, which weighed in over 700 lbs, caught at the recent shark rodeo, or whatever they call it. That was one big-@ss shark.

On a side note, I saw another SeaTurtle while kayaking the other day at Grayton, then saw 3 others later in the day in front of Seaside.:love:

Well, I'm still swimming in the Gulf, but I certainly try to time it correctly, and don't go in if it's too murky. It's unnerving enough just stepping over all those cranky crabs.
Next week we're moving to a house with a heated swimming pool, so I won't be tempting the sharks much longer.

SJ, how nice to see all those sea turtles! I've only seen one live one here, but that was a treat.

With all the rain, the bayou near here filled up, and a couple I met on the beach said they saw a small gator in the Gulf.