• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

weather98

Beach Crab
Jul 27, 2005
How do you find out the average cost to build a home in that area if you buy a lot? Does anyone know the average cost per sq ft to build on your own lot?

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
I've been told anywhere from $100.00 sf on up, with average around $160.00. There is a new franchise operation in the area called UBuildIt. If you have the time/desire to be the general contractor they will act as the consultants. They claim to be able to save you 25-35%, after their fee.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The cost can vary greatly depending on the location of the lot. Believe it or not, everyone involved will charge you more to build in WaterColor than in some unheard of s/d. Also, some areas may required a specifically approved architect, thereby costing even more money.

If we are talking about a lot in an unnamed s/d, you can expect a cost of $130/sf for a medium-low appointed home. Perhaps going with a cheap (quantity rather the quality) entry level home, you can lower your costs to maybe $110/sf. If you are thinking about being your own contractor to same some money, I would certainly urge you to reconsider if you are doing so because of money. When your subs don't show or worse, walk off the sight or overcharge you; when you can no longer sleep at night; or when a year has passed and you are still building -- Then, you will be wondering if you saved any costs at all.

I mention the low to medium cost level only because, as you know, the sky is the limit.

pk305

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2005
Nashville & Seagrove
There are so many variables as previous posters have stated.
There are some nice areas in which you can expect around $135-$140 SF with good solid builder. (great looking, very well built cottage style custom homes)
We've had good personal experience with this.
GOOD LUCK!!

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
Smiling JOe said:
If you are thinking about being your own contractor to same some money, I would certainly urge you to reconsider if you are doing so because of money. When your subs don't show or worse, walk off the sight or overcharge you; when you can no longer sleep at night; or when a year has passed and you are still building -- Then, you will be wondering if you saved any costs at all.

I mention UBuildIt only if someone feels they have the time/desire to save some serious money. From the presentation given to my wife and I, it appears as though they have a proven system for doing so.

And the biggest factor they push, in a somewhat understated way, is that their Construction Consultant is County Commissioner Larry Jones. The services they supply are too detailed for here.

I would never consider being my own GC without a program like this.

Last edited:

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
When we finished building in March, our builder indicated it was a shock at how much costs had gone up over the course of the previous year. Example was that the cost per fixture that plumbers were charging had gone up from $350.00 to $800.00. When I said he should change plumbers he said everyone had gone up that much. That was market.:shock:

Between the increase in lumber costs, general demand in the market, and the building standards now required if you are close to the coast I would have to think cost build has gone up quite a bit the last few years.

Seaside ballparks $250.00 sq/ft., but we completed for well below $200.00 sq/ft. :D

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
There are also differences in building code in different areas. All other things considered, you will pay more if you're within a mile of the Gulf because code is tougher in those areas.

Right now, the contractors still have more business than they could ever think of handling. I know people who couldn't get their roofs fixed for six months after Ivan. If one family won't pay their asking price for work, they can find another one that will.