• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
P8090036.JPG

Just a tease. More in my photo album
Photos of Grayton Beach from Aug 09 2005

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
the beach looks beautiful! but, what's up with the water at Grayton? Is it brown? it's not red tide is it? I noticed that blue mtn water was clear.
great pictures SJ.
we're coming down in ten days...hopefully the crowds will be gone.
we are so excited...and i promise not to walk on the dunes, or what's left of them :cool:

reece

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
reece said:
the beach looks beautiful! but, what's up with the water at Grayton? Is it brown? it's not red tide is it? I noticed that blue mtn water was clear.
great pictures SJ.
we're coming down in ten days...hopefully the crowds will be gone.
we are so excited...and i promise not to walk on the dunes, or what's left of them :cool:

reece

That's lake water.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
yeech, must be lake water from gulf trace poop thread then. just looks nasty

I feel a sample run coming up!

God it's nice to be back to 'normal', whatever that is.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
reece said:

reece

The brown water, as Kurt mentioned, is from Western Lake. The Lake is still open, but the outflow has narrowed to about 4 feet in width. The Lake is brown/black due to the tannins coming from decaying plant matter that are in the Lake. It is like making a strong and large batch of sun-brewed tea. Same process, but in Mother Nature's tea pot. As of yesterday, the brown water goes west from Grayton almost to CR 83 at Blue Mtn Beach. It is staying fairly close to shore and green water can be seen around the sand bar. When the Lake closes off, the Gulf at Grayton Beach will return to the emerald green color most people like so much.

gary garrett

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2005
Frisco, Texas
SJ - Thanks for the new pics.

We are heading down on Saturday for our week in SoWal (man it's been a long year). We always stay right next to Eastern Lake and love being close to the lake and the outflow. Every year we give the same explanation about the color of the lake water to new visitors we meet. Nature doing it's thing.

The kids love the outflow and spend most of their time there.

Thanks also for the posts on the dunes and other beach issues. We always try and respect the beach and the posts are a great help. Last year we planted our tent and left it up at night. We had no idea this was a bad thing. Thanks to the info on the board we have learned what the issues are with this. This year we will be taking it down at the end of the day.

We love SoWal and appreciate the efforts of the people who live there in educating those of us who come to visit.

?Barbie

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Barbie said:
Thanks also for the posts on the dunes and other beach issues. We always try and respect the beach and the posts are a great help. Last year we planted our tent and left it up at night. We had no idea this was a bad thing. Thanks to the info on the board we have learned what the issues are with this. This year we will be taking it down at the end of the day.

We love SoWal and appreciate the efforts of the people who live there in educating those of us who come to visit.

?Barbie

Barbie, You get my Hug of the Day! :clap_1:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Barbie...YOU ROCK!!!! I too confessed my sin about having family photos taken on the DUNES in 1992 by a professional. Confession is good for the soul...Education is good for the beach!