• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
Hey guys, need a suggestion. coming to 30A next week and bringing senior parents who love seafood---mostly fried, and have a problem with real noisy or "fancy" places.
Know the area pretty well, but am stumped---Yanni's is one thought, and always stop at Seagrove Market...others?

Thank you!!

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Quiet is the hard part. Otherwise I'd say Bayou Bill's (the one on Front Beach isn't as loud as 98) or Boondocks. Although I was at Boondocks tonight, and it wasn't loud at all, mostly empty.

Hey guys, need a suggestion. coming to 30A next week and bringing senior parents who love seafood---mostly fried, and have a problem with real noisy or "fancy" places.
Know the area pretty well, but am stumped---Yanni's is one thought, and always stop at Seagrove Market...others?

Thank you!!
My senior parent isn't happy with anywhere we take her at the beach. My brother, sister, and I have decided that if we get as demented as she is, just shoot us. Don't worry about where to take us to dinner because we'd be better off dead. Our Mom has no quality of life. Her body is alive, but she has left the building.

BTW I'm not being overly critical. She as recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but even prior to that, we weren't on the same page with respect to dining out.

Nothing pleases her, no matter how hard we try. She flips out over background music at restaurants, yet refuses to get a hearing aid for vanity reasons. The last time we brought her to the beach, we just cooked or did takeout so she wouldn't complain so much at restaurants.

Getting old really sucks. I used to say it was better than dying, but in Mom's case, we don't think so.

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Sorry to hear about your Mom, Beach Runner. It sounds REALLY tough. I hope they find a way to cure/prevent/control Alzheimer's soon. There are a lot of babyboomers who are going to live a long time.

As for where to dine with parents, how about getting really good take out, flowers, etc., and dining in wherever you're staying. And then go out for a nice dessert somewhere instead or a nice breakfast where you may have more options (e.g., Broken Egg Cafe) or a nice lunch (e.g., Seagrove market or Shades by the Loop). My father used to always say, "Why eat out when you can eat better at home?" Though I like to dine out much more these days (I love dining out), there's something special about having a nice meal at home, especially if it's going to be stressful to eat out.

We've had very nice take-out dinners from Angelina's at the cottage, though I don't think they have fried food (but they have nice lasagna and other pasta dishes).

Last edited:

Beachmom

Beach Fanatic
Sep 7, 2006
Grayton Beach!
We've eaten at Yanni's many times- took my parents and they loved it. They also do take out which has come in handy on more than one occasion. You could stop by and just get a menu to see if it fits-it is pretty calm and quiet, we don't ever take the kids there- it's just not loud enought to blend in!:lol: If you go for just getting the desert out- check and see if they have they're creme brulae (yes- I know I can't spell it- I'm a CREATIVE speller!!) They don't have it every night, but when they do:clap_1:!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Thank you!!

Also Goatfeathers in Santa Rosa Beach or Bayou Bill's in Panama City Beach. Neither is likely to be too crowded this time of year.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Santa Rosa Golf and Beach Club restaurant on the beach is usually a favorite of "seniors" and "juniors" alike. I agree with Yanni's and Don Pedros on 98 is great. My parents like it!

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
Thanks guys---good suggestions all! The good news is mine aren't "cranky" and can't wait to get to beautiful 30A---like father, like son!

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005
My 80+ parents visited SoWal with me this summer. They loved, loved, loved Another Broken Egg (went two days in a row and ordered the same thing each time!).

They liked Cafe 30-A, but food was a little too fancy for their taste.

They very much liked Captain Anderson's in Panama City Beach...a throw back to the old supper clubs that specializes in fried seafood platters. They enjoyed walking the piers and seeing the fish brought in off the guide boats. It is a destination restaurant with lots to see and do (gift shop, etc). Only open for dinner. Do the early bird thing as there can be a long wait.