• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

patticakes

Beach Lover
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas
question for owners that use resortquest at dunes of seagrove - have you been satisfied? we use another company and are not impressed. only booked 2 weeks for the summer, we booked the rest. have had some recent complaints from rentors on a few issues as well - things overlooked that should have been checked but weren't before new rentors came in - no sheets for sleeper sofa, no toilet paper, etc. also have had some theft that went unnoticed until a guest brought it to my attention. any recommendations or personal experiences with resortquest (or others) would be appreciated. new to this...

I was with Beach Rentals of South Walton for two years and they drove me nuts. I would NOT recommend them. Last fall I switched to Royal Beach Resorts and couldn't be happier. Denise and Mark are great! I like having a local manager even though most weeks I'm paying them a percentage just to hand out the key. I have an independant cleaning service and use my own handy man for some repairs, theirs for others. I just think your business is a lot more professional with some local management, and your guests will feel they are well looked after.

Getting the bookings on your own is easy. VRBO, GulfCoastRentals, Rent101 are all pretty good and search well in all the engines. Having your own web site is even better. No limit on the number of pictures, plus you can add tons more information and not have to answer the same questions over and over. Kurt at Mooncreek.com will do a very nice stock site. I've been doing some customized sites myself. Please check out,
www.shuttersbythesea.com

The best part of booking the guests yourself is the personal relationship you create. They are YOUR clients not a large management companies and they will take much better care of your house because you have that relationship. Also, talking with them over the phone you can usually weed out the problem rentals.

The book that is recommended earlier in the thread is a good resource.
Although it pooh poohs having a local management company.
Finally, you make more money, but of course there's more work too.
There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not answerring an email, or taking a phone call, or sending back a security deposit, or charging a credit card, etc. etc. But the reward is knowing the next time you come down to your house everything will be in top shape, no surprises.

Good luck and welcome to the rental business!

Shutters