• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
Thanks for the update SJ. Who are THOSE people (father and daughter?) climbing up by the walkover in what looks like a gorge? No khakis/ white shirts, but the nerve! What words did you have for them or did you just push them back down and tell them to try again?
:rotfl:Maybe next time, but I am really not a violent person.

Some days I yell, some days I explain, and some days I just take photos. The photo caputures mom and daughter, pops had already made it up the hill before I grabbed my camera. Perhaps Richard Owens, photographer for the Walton Sun, needs to expose the damage done and the "innocent" violaters in the Paper. I truely think this could help reach so many people and would be good to run frequently during the busy season.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Not to worry....those dunes are slippery and "accidents" do happen! I like that idea of running photos of violators. That sounds like a good educational tactic to me....SHAME and GUILT!!!!

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
The Walton Sun does seem to get a kick out of "tattletale" photos...there's always one of someone doing something verboten somewhere in the first section.

KY oyster eater

Beach Lover
Jul 31, 2005
Louisville
Excellent pictures! Do not be afraid of what you will find when you finally get here. It is still a great place to come and unwind. The beaches are still great, not a whole lot of difference excepting that the ''dunes'' are gone and that the access areas may have been changed and they are working diligently to fix all of them. I was leery about coming down but this message board allayed my fears and we have been here since Saturday and all is well and fine. It is amazing how these folks have bounced back after several hurricanes and made this place look as fantastc as it always has been.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
The beaches look a lot longer than they did post Arlene and Pre Dennis. The sand looks good too...good thing its not the nasty brown sand. Are the beaches longer or am I just imagining that?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kimmifunn said:
The beaches look a lot longer than they did post Arlene and Pre Dennis. The sand looks good too...good thing its not the nasty brown sand. Are the beaches longer or am I just imagining that?

I am confused. Do you mean "wider," rather than longer? If so, the beaches are different. Much more narrower in most places, but we are seeing sand build up and out perpendicular to the beach, creating many pools. In those places, if it continues, the beach will be wider.

perpendicularsandbar2.jpg

Perpendicular sand bars forming -- outlined in yellow

Last edited:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Yes! Wider is what I mean! Sorry!
Are there recent pictures of the beach in Grayton posted?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kimmifunn said:
Yes! Wider is what I mean! Sorry!
Are there recent pictures of the beach in Grayton posted?
Yes, look in my photo album, some of which are posted in the threads entitled Photos Grayton Beach Aug 10, 11, or 12. I do not want to confuse people by posting them in this Seaside/ WaterCooler(as my friend says) thread.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Kimmifunn said:

Maybe they look wider because we lost a good amount of dunes. Also, if the walkovers were still in place, they would extend very close to the Gulf right now. The beaches are definitely narrower.